absolutely pointless rant

/ absolutely pointless rant #11  
rivnuts were a possibility, but i couldn't find anybody that made a rivnut for a M14-1.5 bolt. also, where the problem stands now is that the hole in the frame has been over-drilled to accept the M14 time-sert.

i have a mobile welder coming by tomorrow to look at the problem. my current thinking is that i will have him weld the oversize hole closed (ie, fill the hole with weld bead all the way through the existing nut), and then drill and tap.

I would have him blow it out with a torch then weld in a nut or stud.

Chris

/ absolutely pointless rant
I would have him blow it out with a torch then weld in a nut or stud.

Chris

i got the end of the tap out of the hole by vigorously beating on a punch with the biggest hammer i could swing in the fender well. the end of the tap is in the frame but it won't hurt anything in there. i had the tap centered when i started cutting the threads but it moved off the center line. i didn't catch this until the threads were pretty well started. when i tried to adjust it, the tap broke. such threads as i had would do me absolutely no good at all as i would not be able to get the bolt started due to the improper angle (like i said, i botched it).

i can't have a nut welded inside the frame as the frame is boxed. a stud is a possibility though. i'll ask when the welder shows up.

/ absolutely pointless rant #13  
Good luck.

/ absolutely pointless rant #14  
i can't have a nut welded inside the frame as the frame is boxed. a stud is a possibility though. i'll ask when the welder shows up.

what if he were to cut a hole the size of the nut and weld it "into" the frame?

what if he were to cut a hole the size of the nut and weld it "into" the frame?

there are two holes in the frame where the upper a-arm is bolted. the area immediately adjacent to the two holes is proud of the rest of the boxed frame rail. i'm not sure exactly what this is for as it was not machined in any way to ensure that the two holes are co-planar. if the welder were to cut that immediate section out he would have to build that area up and then we'd have to figure out some way to spot face that hole to be co-planar with the other.

i had thought of have that general area cut out and replaced, but there is a shock tower welded right there and the whole thing is rather complicated. if the welder and i agree that he can provide and safe and effective repair then that's what we'll do. if he can't, i'll buy another 95 pathfinder, move any better parts that i have over, and scrap this vehicle. i've been screwing around with this for two months and i'm sick of looking at it up on jackstands. tomorrow, if the welder shows up, will tell the tale.

mjncad, i did look at mcmaster-carr, and they don't carry a m14 rivet nut either. you can put 100 ft-lbs of torque on a m14 bolt, i guess a rivet nut can't hold at those loads. oh well.

for general information, here is the scene of the crime:

photo(51).JPG

/ absolutely pointless rant #18  
Tricky location, but I think it can be repaired. The welder would need to cut out the hole and replace with a nut welded to a small patch plate. The plate could then be welded in from the outside, flush for proper fit.

the welder showed up today, he looked things over, and we agreed that the most economical repair that had a chance of succeeding was to build up material in the stripped out hole via TIG welding, redrill the hole, and tap new threads. to do anything different would run into some sort of fabrication expedition of unknown length and cost. could the vehicle be completely repaired? sure, you can repair anything with enough time and budget. time is not an issue, but budget sure is. not only do i not want to spend much money, but the vehicle according to kelly's blue book is worth around $600 to $750. it's just not worth much expense.

so he welded, we drilled, and we tapped. i paid him $50, and he left. i bolted the a-arm up, applied torque, and shook my head as the threads stripped out. and thus does a vehicle die.

Last edited:
   / absolutely pointless rant #20  
Well you gave it a good shot.

Chris