cracked trailer frame....

/ cracked trailer frame.... #1  

Case485Guy

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 485
I have 20' bumper pull with a dove tail, has 5200lb axles. Has the full wrap tongue and was built in 2000. I use the heck out of it, and have loaded it heavy to max and sometimes over now and then. I have a Case 485 that weighs around 5400k I load on it all the time. I got into the habit of not using my ramps. My trailer sits low, I run the shortest 10 ply 16" tires I can buy to keep it low. I got into the habit of not using my ramps...because when I did the back of the trailer would hit the ground anyway. I did not block the back of trailer up....I should have. Long story short, the frame has cracked right behind where the full wrap tongue stops. Thats the stress point where when I load the tractor and the dove hits the ground, truck back end lifts up...and it cracked. So just an FYI to others that do the same, block the back of the trailer up when using ramps and loading equipment. really feel like a dumb *** because I knew better but a what could a 8-10" drop hurt. I have torn the floor out and welded in new bracing and repaired the frame, just about ready to hit the road again. I have made mods to use jacks in the back when loading equipment/tractor etc. Maybe someone can learn from my laziness/mistake

/ cracked trailer frame.... #2  
my fold down ramps have jack pads that hit the fround to prevent trailer dip... if they were slide in.. I'd carry extra timber..e tc..

/ cracked trailer frame.... #3  
Dont have that problem...Mines a tilt deck. Although I could see myself doing the same thing you were doing...

/ cracked trailer frame....
my fold down ramps have jack pads that hit the fround to prevent trailer dip... if they were slide in.. I'd carry extra timber..e tc..

I'm not a big fan of the fold down ramps with legs due to having to be on relatively level ground to use them. Plus I dont like having them folded in the upright position on the back of the trailer because I haul alot of stuff sticking out the back 3-4'. I should have carried the timber to block the back up, but did not.

/ cracked trailer frame.... #5  
i have removable ramps on my equipment trailer. I've been known to block the back end with a bottle jack. (same bottle jack i carry on the trailer incase i need to change a tire)

/ cracked trailer frame.... #6  
I'm not a big fan of the fold down ramps with legs due to having to be on relatively level ground to use them. Plus I dont like having them folded in the upright position on the back of the trailer because I haul alot of stuff sticking out the back 3-4'. I should have carried the timber to block the back up, but did not.

I've always dreaded dragging out the ramps and attaching them to the trailer. Fold downs are great until you've got a long load as you said. The only solution I've found is to have at least two different trailers :thumbsup:

OP don't fret, my first car hauler trailer cracked at the exact point as yours. It wasn't overloaded as frequently but it saw a lot of use for almost 10 years.
Its the weak point on all trailers with that design.

/ cracked trailer frame.... #7  
Can you show a pic of the trailer/crack. Hard for me to visualize.
Bob

/ cracked trailer frame.... #8  
Hey just a thought, but how about getting a trailer that can handle the weight? If your over loading it, just to load it, then how safe is it going down the highway? I had somewhat the same issue, only needed to move equipment 3/4 of a mile. I finally wised up and got a bigger trailer, because even if something had happened in that 3/4 mile stretch(dirt road very low traffic) it still would have been my fault. Not trying to be the safety police but if your doing this a lot and running an over loaded trailer on the highway, please take a moment and think about others. :)

/ cracked trailer frame....
Hey just a thought, but how about getting a trailer that can handle the weight? If your over loading it, just to load it, then how safe is it going down the highway? I had somewhat the same issue, only needed to move equipment 3/4 of a mile. I finally wised up and got a bigger trailer, because even if something had happened in that 3/4 mile stretch(dirt road very low traffic) it still would have been my fault. Not trying to be the safety police but if your doing this a lot and running an over loaded trailer on the highway, please take a moment and think about others. :)

Sure , what the **** I'll just go buy an 18 wheeler.....................I said I have loaded a few times over capacity. Ok lets see I said I move a 5400lb tractor alot, I said I have 5200 lb axles on it....do the math ,10,400 lbs capacity just so there is no mistake. Got to love the safety police. I even explained why the frame cracked and it was not from the few time I overloaded the trailer, its was from how I loaded the tractor. I see alot of others that do the same and wanted to throw it out there as a warning, See I am thinking of others. :)