Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually...

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #1  

SanDucerro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S
Before I start - this thread is not intended to be a "one brand" over another discussion, but rather one on the issues associated with any Dual Cab Dually - be it Chevy, GMC, Ford, or Dodge. :thumbsup:

I have a 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Short and Wide with the 6 cyl that I bought new. It's a great "city" truck - but it ain't much for the country. No real towing capacity (darn near killed the thing hauling motorcycles in an enclosed 6x12), and since it's a single cab it really doesn't have any room - at all! It also gets lousy gas mileage, so the savings in fuel I thought I would find simply aren't there. So, I'm lookin' to upgrade. I want something with a tow capacity of 10000 lbs, but other than that I'm open to the truck I buy.

In looking at the various options available, I've stumbled across an irregularity in pricing. It seems dealer stock of RAM 2500 series trucks are all intended for snow birds, doctors, lawyers, and such. They are loaded to the hilt and priced to match. However, if I move up to the RAM 3500 the price drops dramatically. There is almost a $10k difference between a fully loaded RAM 2500 (the only way they seem to come) and a nicely optioned RAM 3500 (power windows / locks, tilt, alarm, AM/FM CD).

As to options on the 2500 - I like leather, but I don't need it. I like BOSE sound systems with 15 speakers, but I don't need it. I don't like two tone paint - so I really don't need that. All of these "don't needs" are on every RAM 2500 I find. Matter of fact - the ONLY thing I'd like to have on the RAM 3500 that I can't get is a driver's side power seat (because stock RAM seats have NO adjustments at all).

Other than sheer size, what are the disadvantages of owning a RAM 3500 Dually over a RAM 2500? BTW - both have the same engine - Cummins Turbo Diesel.

Thanks

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #2  
Tires cost 50% more.

Looking at the Dodge site, there appears to be no difference in tow capacity between the 3500 and the 2500 in most or maybe even all cases. The 3500 just gets you more payload capacity.

When I was shopping for a truck, I considered both 2500 and 3500s, but I really didn't want the dually because of the added width. You may find that a non-dually 3500 fits the bill.

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #3  
I've had 3 cummins. 2006, 2011, and 2012. The 2011 was a lemon and was bought back by ram. The 2012 has been better but the fuel mileage is horrible. The 11 and 12 were both longhorn dually 4x4s. Mileage unloaded is around 13.7. I don't drive above 65, use the cruise daily and accelerate slowly. My truck is heavy though due to tools, diesel and miscellaneous equipment. If I was to buy a new truck today it would be a Chevy or wait for the 2013 ram with urea to come out. The ford was my second choice. I would not buy another dodge right now. Too many problems and like I mentioned horrible mileage. Anyone that says they get 20 mpg is lying as far as I'm concerned on these new ones. If your not towing heavy or frequently consider the hemi. The diesel is not a status symbol but an unnecessary expense.

Brett

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #4  
If the biggest thing you have towed with yours is a motorcycle trailer, unless you are planning on seriously towing regularly, I think many would say forget the diesel. As far a dually goes, it will be more stable while towing something big. It is of course 2 more tires to buy, may reduce fuel mileage a little, is worse in the snow, and is harder to get into some places. Have you considered a single rear wheel 3500? Now take this with a grain of salt because I don't personally own a dually, but this is what I hear repeatedly. I have a 2500 and have been in some places I simply couldn't have gone with a dually.

I also personally wouldn't be without at least an extended cab. Granted, I have a family, but even besides that I just like the backseat for storage. I can throw coats back there, I keep a bin of straps back there, etc... I also have a long bed and would not be without that. I like hauling full sheets of plywood or whatever with the tailgate up. I can also fit more dirt in there or furniture or whatever, and with a toolbox a shortbed would not leave much room. This all of course comes with disadvantages as well... crossing a ditch or over a hump becomes trickier as well as maneuvering in parking lots or trying to back a trailer in a tight area.

I have an old ram with the 5.9 gas engine. I have towed 10k with it, and while beyond it's max rating it did it, but the engine was working. The suspension, brakes, and cooling were up to it, but the engine was working. I regularly tow about 6-7k with it. The new gas motors would be worlds better I think, especially with a lower rear-end, mine is a 3.55.

edit: I guess these guys posted as I was typing :)

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #5  
I have owned an 03 F350 4 door dually 4x4 since Jan of 04...
After using it 9 years I can tell you of the pros and cons versus a SRW 350...
Pros:
Added stability...
Added payload...
Cons:
Aggravating to park...
2 extra tires..
Not as stable in snow...
On a personal note, I think that the dually looks more aesthetically pleasing to the eye than the 4 door SRW...
That is just a personal preference...
I like my truck...
It is not for sale and I have no intention of trading it...

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #6  
I have had over 12 trucks in my life. The two worst in rain, snow, and mud were my Ford Lightning and a Dually 3500 GMC 454 4x4 dually. I will never own another dually. Awful in the snow, terrible in the mud, and scary at times on rain slicked roads. Then there are the $1500 tire changes.

Next, dont buy a diesel for mpg. Its a false economy. Diesel is $0.81 more per gallon in my area today. I have had 4 diesels and will probably never buy another when this one wears out. Today I bought diesel. It was $3.89 per gallon. I got right at 16mpg with my highly modified 2006 F350 srw 4x4. Thats $0.243 per mile. Yesterday I filled up my 2008 Nissan Titan 4x4. 87 octane was $3.08 per gallon and I got 14.2mpg. That works out to $0.216 per mile. Tires are a wash but both get 5,000 mile oil changes. F350 takes 15qts and a $25 filter. Titan takes 6.5qts and a $7 filter.

Lastly, you do not need a diesel. I tow 9,700# all the time with my Titan. I do not get out my F350 till the load is nearing 11,000#.

Take a look at the Ford F-150 eco boost. Can tow 11,300# and will get 18 mpg average. Low 20's on the highway. The new Dodge 1500 Hemi with the 8 speed tranny would also be on my short list.

Chris

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #7  
well i got a 07 2500 5.9 cummins turbo and i have no gripes at all 21 mpg all the power you ever need unless you really ssee a need for the dually i woul stay away unless you are the only one driving most all of them around here the rear fenders tore up are you can see where they been fixed but thats just my opnion

/ Talk me OUT of a buying a RAM 3500 Dual Cab Dually... #9  
i fail to see the 3500 series on your post they only have them in dually don't they without special order