Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 157
  1. #131
    Platinum Member HHR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    624
    Location
    Northern MN
    Tractor
    1997 Daewoo Dsl 801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post

    My sister had a Lincoln LS followed by a Freestyle. Not a single issue with either. She then got a Explorer followed by her current Expedition XL.

    She does 36 month leases.

    Chris
    Just got back from a 3500 mile round trip fully loaded with passengers and a rear cargo carrier and averaged 25 mpg cruising at 70 mph on snow tires.

  2. #132
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    573
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

    Default

    I don't think an LS ever had a CVT. All the transmissions I've pulled out of them were either 5R55N or 5R55S models.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

  3. #133
    Elite Member Dmace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,838
    Location
    Wakefield, NH
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

    Default

    I hate CVT's with a passion. They're not that efficient, they're expensive to fix, they rob you of passing power and are annoying to drive (3500 rpms all the time...)
    The one in the Dodge Caliber wasn't as bad as others since it had "shift points" so it felt like a real transmission and you could manually "downshift" for passing.

    We test drove a Subaru Impreza CVT and hated it. The 6 speed Mazda 3 was quicker and more efficient.

    I've never seen a Lincoln LS with a CVT either.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

  4. #134
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    573
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

    Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    I hate CVT's with a passion. They're not that efficient, they're expensive to fix, they rob you of passing power and are annoying to drive (3500 rpms all the time...)
    The one in the Dodge Caliber wasn't as bad as others since it had "shift points" so it felt like a real transmission and you could manually "downshift" for passing.

    We test drove a Subaru Impreza CVT and hated it. The 6 speed Mazda 3 was quicker and more efficient.

    I've never seen a Lincoln LS with a CVT either.
    You should try the one in the '13 Accord. It's an impressive unit. I also despise CVT's, but that one is pretty slick. It actually behaves like a 7 speed auto in most instances.

    I'm a 3 pedal guy myself. Likely to never catch me with an auto transmission. The only auto I've ever had was an '87 Buick GN. This is despite the fact that I was the tranny guy at the Ford dealer....
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

  5. #135
    Platinum Member HHR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    624
    Location
    Northern MN
    Tractor
    1997 Daewoo Dsl 801

    Default

    A CVT is much less complicated than an 8 speed transmission. You can get the same ratio spread with a CVT and passing power is completely uninterrupted by stepped down or upshifts.

  6. #136
    Super Star Member Diamondpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,871
    Location
    Daleville, IN
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

    Default

    Take a look at VW and others. They are using a two clutch automatically controlled manual like what's in my neighbors Passat. $500 fluid changes every 40K makes the diesel economy hard to justify in my eyes.

    I don't care for it. I have driven it and a few other VW's as rental cars like the CC with them and it and Smart Cars. They feel like the engine has a miss as it rolls back to shift and taking off from a dead stop.

    Chris
    Last edited by Diamondpilot; 03-13-2013 at 02:32 PM.

  7. #137
    Super Member 94BULLITT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8,350
    Location
    Frederick County, VA
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

    Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

    Subaru had CVT's in the late 80's.

  8. #138
    Super Star Member Diamondpilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,871
    Location
    Daleville, IN
    Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    I don't think an LS ever had a CVT. All the transmissions I've pulled out of them were either 5R55N or 5R55S models.
    Now that I think about it I believe you are correct. I think what made it a first for me was the paddle shift option. It would have been the 5R55S. The next car she had was a CVT.

    Getting old I guess.

    Chris

  9. #139
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,405
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

    Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Take a look at VW and others. They are using a two clutch automatically controlled manual like what's in my neighbors Passat. $800 fluid changes every 40K makes the diesel economy hard to justify in my eyes.

    I don't care for it. I have driven it and a few other VW's as rental cars like the CC with them and it and Smart Cars. They feel like the engine has a miss as it rolls back to shift and taking off from a dead stop.

    Chris
    I think that DSG trani came over from the Audi side of the house. Impressive technology, but maintenance cost is definitely way up in the Audi buyer demographic. Buying a Golf/Jetta tdi here, I'd definitely go for the 6 speed manual instead.

    Rgds, D.

  10. #140
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,284
    Location
    East Coast of Lake Huron
    Tractor
    Deere, several

    Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

    Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    You should try the one in the '13 Accord. It's an impressive unit. I also despise CVT's, but that one is pretty slick. It actually behaves like a 7 speed auto in most instances.

    I'm a 3 pedal guy myself. Likely to never catch me with an auto transmission. The only auto I've ever had was an '87 Buick GN. This is despite the fact that I was the tranny guy at the Ford dealer....
    Still have my 87 GN . It has 266,000 miles on the odometer. Take her out for a drive once a year now.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jeep Cherokee Gas Tanks.
    By Diamondpilot in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 12:10 AM
  2. What trailer to get for my Jeep Cherokee Sport?
    By denverdave66 in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-28-2012, 01:11 AM
  3. Diesel vs Gas Grand Cherokee
    By farmboy12 in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 12:32 PM
  4. Hauling two large garden tractors behind a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    By botamike in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2008, 05:59 PM
  5. Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee
    By mswlogo in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.