Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast
    Tractor
    1997 Daewoo Dsl 801

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post

My sister had a Lincoln LS followed by a Freestyle. Not a single issue with either. She then got a Explorer followed by her current Expedition XL.

She does 36 month leases.

Chris
    Just got back from a 3500 mile round trip fully loaded with passengers and a rear cargo carrier and averaged 25 mpg cruising at 70 mph on snow tires.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

I don't think an LS ever had a CVT. All the transmissions I've pulled out of them were either 5R55N or 5R55S models.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

I hate CVT's with a passion. They're not that efficient, they're expensive to fix, they rob you of passing power and are annoying to drive (3500 rpms all the time...)
    The one in the Dodge Caliber wasn't as bad as others since it had "shift points" so it felt like a real transmission and you could manually "downshift" for passing.

We test drove a Subaru Impreza CVT and hated it. The 6 speed Mazda 3 was quicker and more efficient.

I've never seen a Lincoln LS with a CVT either.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    I hate CVT's with a passion. They're not that efficient, they're expensive to fix, they rob you of passing power and are annoying to drive (3500 rpms all the time...)
    The one in the Dodge Caliber wasn't as bad as others since it had "shift points" so it felt like a real transmission and you could manually "downshift" for passing.

We test drove a Subaru Impreza CVT and hated it. The 6 speed Mazda 3 was quicker and more efficient.

I've never seen a Lincoln LS with a CVT either.
    You should try the one in the '13 Accord. It's an impressive unit. I also despise CVT's, but that one is pretty slick. It actually behaves like a 7 speed auto in most instances.

I'm a 3 pedal guy myself. Likely to never catch me with an auto transmission. The only auto I've ever had was an '87 Buick GN. This is despite the fact that I was the tranny guy at the Ford dealer....
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Tractor
    1997 Daewoo Dsl 801

A CVT is much less complicated than an 8 speed transmission. You can get the same ratio spread with a CVT and passing power is completely uninterrupted by stepped down or upshifts.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Take a look at VW and others. They are using a two clutch automatically controlled manual like what's in my neighbors Passat. $500 fluid changes every 40K makes the diesel economy hard to justify in my eyes.

I don't care for it. I have driven it and a few other VW's as rental cars like the CC with them and it and Smart Cars. They feel like the engine has a miss as it rolls back to shift and taking off from a dead stop.

Chris
    Last edited by Diamondpilot; 03-13-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Subaru had CVT's in the late 80's.

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    I don't think an LS ever had a CVT. All the transmissions I've pulled out of them were either 5R55N or 5R55S models.
    Now that I think about it I believe you are correct. I think what made it a first for me was the paddle shift option. It would have been the 5R55S. The next car she had was a CVT.

Getting old I guess.

Chris

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    Take a look at VW and others. They are using a two clutch automatically controlled manual like what's in my neighbors Passat. $800 fluid changes every 40K makes the diesel economy hard to justify in my eyes.

I don't care for it. I have driven it and a few other VW's as rental cars like the CC with them and it and Smart Cars. They feel like the engine has a miss as it rolls back to shift and taking off from a dead stop.

Chris
    I think that DSG trani came over from the Audi side of the house. Impressive technology, but maintenance cost is definitely way up in the Audi buyer demographic. Buying a Golf/Jetta tdi here, I'd definitely go for the 6 speed manual instead.

Rgds, D.

Tractor
    Deere, several

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    You should try the one in the '13 Accord. It's an impressive unit. I also despise CVT's, but that one is pretty slick. It actually behaves like a 7 speed auto in most instances.

I'm a 3 pedal guy myself. Likely to never catch me with an auto transmission. The only auto I've ever had was an '87 Buick GN. This is despite the fact that I was the tranny guy at the Ford dealer....
    Still have my 87 GN . It has 266,000 miles on the odometer. Take her out for a drive once a year now.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4111213141516 LastLast