2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #131  
My sister had a Lincoln LS followed by a Freestyle. Not a single issue with either. She then got a Explorer followed by her current Expedition XL.

She does 36 month leases.

Chris

Just got back from a 3500 mile round trip fully loaded with passengers and a rear cargo carrier and averaged 25 mpg cruising at 70 mph on snow tires.
CBB1099E-C8B6-4F53-A557-6D61F80B742A-320-00000029F85A524C_zps6a85dc8c.jpg

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #132  
I don't think an LS ever had a CVT. All the transmissions I've pulled out of them were either 5R55N or 5R55S models.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL
I hate CVT's with a passion. They're not that efficient, they're expensive to fix, they rob you of passing power and are annoying to drive (3500 rpms all the time...)
The one in the Dodge Caliber wasn't as bad as others since it had "shift points" so it felt like a real transmission and you could manually "downshift" for passing.

We test drove a Subaru Impreza CVT and hated it. The 6 speed Mazda 3 was quicker and more efficient.

I've never seen a Lincoln LS with a CVT either.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #134  
I hate CVT's with a passion. They're not that efficient, they're expensive to fix, they rob you of passing power and are annoying to drive (3500 rpms all the time...)
The one in the Dodge Caliber wasn't as bad as others since it had "shift points" so it felt like a real transmission and you could manually "downshift" for passing.

We test drove a Subaru Impreza CVT and hated it. The 6 speed Mazda 3 was quicker and more efficient.

I've never seen a Lincoln LS with a CVT either.

You should try the one in the '13 Accord. It's an impressive unit. I also despise CVT's, but that one is pretty slick. It actually behaves like a 7 speed auto in most instances.

I'm a 3 pedal guy myself. Likely to never catch me with an auto transmission. The only auto I've ever had was an '87 Buick GN. This is despite the fact that I was the tranny guy at the Ford dealer....

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #135  
A CVT is much less complicated than an 8 speed transmission. You can get the same ratio spread with a CVT and passing power is completely uninterrupted by stepped down or upshifts.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #136  
Take a look at VW and others. They are using a two clutch automatically controlled manual like what's in my neighbors Passat. $500 fluid changes every 40K makes the diesel economy hard to justify in my eyes.

I don't care for it. I have driven it and a few other VW's as rental cars like the CC with them and it and Smart Cars. They feel like the engine has a miss as it rolls back to shift and taking off from a dead stop.

Chris

Last edited:
   / 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #137  
Subaru had CVT's in the late 80's.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #138  
I don't think an LS ever had a CVT. All the transmissions I've pulled out of them were either 5R55N or 5R55S models.

Now that I think about it I believe you are correct. I think what made it a first for me was the paddle shift option. It would have been the 5R55S. The next car she had was a CVT.

Getting old I guess.

Chris

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #139  
Take a look at VW and others. They are using a two clutch automatically controlled manual like what's in my neighbors Passat. $800 fluid changes every 40K makes the diesel economy hard to justify in my eyes.

I don't care for it. I have driven it and a few other VW's as rental cars like the CC with them and it and Smart Cars. They feel like the engine has a miss as it rolls back to shift and taking off from a dead stop.

Chris

I think that DSG trani came over from the Audi side of the house. Impressive technology, but maintenance cost is definitely way up in the Audi buyer demographic. Buying a Golf/Jetta tdi here, I'd definitely go for the 6 speed manual instead.

Rgds, D.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #140  
You should try the one in the '13 Accord. It's an impressive unit. I also despise CVT's, but that one is pretty slick. It actually behaves like a 7 speed auto in most instances.

I'm a 3 pedal guy myself. Likely to never catch me with an auto transmission. The only auto I've ever had was an '87 Buick GN. This is despite the fact that I was the tranny guy at the Ford dealer....

Still have my 87 GN . It has 266,000 miles on the odometer. Take her out for a drive once a year now.