2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #151  
no actually i keep a logbook of EVERY single fill up. hand calculate. and its all in how you tow. suck in behind something big and cruise along.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL
Interesting, I wonder what everyone else will get with this vehicle.

Edit: I looked at the article quickly on my phone and every tank they went through was gaining fuel mileage. The last tank was 25.8 mpg and climbing. Considering this is a brand new engine it obviously takes 5-10k miles to break in. My Mazda 3 saw constant improvements from 48 miles at delivery to over 15k when it leveled off.
It may have been that the headwind was not as bad, that there weren't as many elevation changes as on the first tank, or that we were seeing firsthand what it's like when a diesel engine breaks in. That trend continued on the fourth tank. We filled up in Southern California, 544 miles from Benson, and that tank showed a fuel economy of 25.8 mpg. Our overall fuel economy was 22.9 mpg for the trip, which was within the EPA's range, but lower than we had hoped for. Yet looking at the pattern of improving economy with each tank, it may well have continued to go up with each fill-up, if we had gone farther than 1400 miles.
26mpg in a 5400 lb 4x4 SUV that can tow 7,400 lbs and 0-60 in under 8 seconds, I'd write home about it...

Last edited:
   / 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #153  
I don't know, I have never gotten near what the epa estimates are for any vehicle I have owned. I am not exactly a slow casual driver but even when I have tried to be, I have never reached epa estimates. Most of my driving is country highway as well.

I don't think the EPA does their mileage tests using real world conditions; but under a highly controlled laboratory environment.

Are you trusting the dash display? Nothing gets 18 towing, not even a diesel.

Chris

My vehicles are too old to have factory fuel mileage dash displays; but from what I've seen in friends' vehicles that have them, they are all over the place in their MPG and range readouts. I think the only way to get accurate on the fly MPG readings would require a high dollar flow-meter or two in the fuel system, and a tank capacity sensing system that's more sophisticated than a float and gauge measuring electrical resistance that probably hasn't changed much in 70-years or so.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #154  
We routinely got in the high 20's with our liberty card. Best was 32 highway coming back east from Indiana. Indi to hagerstown Md on 3/4 of a tank. Had to stop to let the dog pee.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #155  
In the spirit of full disclosure, I didn't read all 16 pages of this prior to responding, so apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned. I take exception to Jeeps advertising relative to the towing capacity and range. First, the 7400 pounds claim is only for selected 2wd models. 4wd and AWD models are rated between 5000 and 7200, depending upon how equipped. And I don't know how they can say it's a "class leading" capacity. Any 8-speed Porsche Cayenne, Volkswagen Touareg, or Audi Quattro - with any engine - is rated to tow 7716 pounds. Or does Jeep think they're not in the same class with VAG? Plus, my 2013 Cayenne Diesel - with less than 5000 miles - has already returned as much as 36.2 mpg. Owners with more mileage are already reporting over 37. And at that rate, the 26.4 gallon tank gives it a potential range close to 1000 miles.

//greg//

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #156  
In the spirit of full disclosure, I didn't read all 16 pages of this prior to responding, so apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned. I take exception to Jeeps advertising relative to the towing capacity and range. First, the 7400 pounds claim is only for selected 2wd models. 4wd and AWD models are rated between 5000 and 7200, depending upon how equipped. And I don't know how they can say it's a "class leading" capacity. Any 8-speed Porsche Cayenne, Volkswagen Touareg, or Audi Quattro - with any engine - is rated to tow 7716 pounds. Or does Jeep think they're not in the same class with VAG? Plus, my 2013 Cayenne Diesel - with less than 5000 miles - has already returned as much as 36.2 mpg. Owners with more mileage are already reporting over 37. And at that rate, the 26.4 gallon tank gives it a potential range close to 1000 miles.

//greg//

If you read the history, the Euro manufacturers have pretty consistently supplied very high performance diesel products.

Great overall performance #'s on the vehicles you list Greg. Unfortunately, I can afford exactly none of them - not a Euro vehicle issue though, I couldn't afford a new 1 ton diesel truck made in N. America either ! :laughing:

As I've ranted about before, in this thread and likely others, world-wide there are many diesel vehicles available at all price points that will readily do 1000++ km/tank. They all won't do it at the top speed, nor with the towing capacity Greg lists, but for what matters most of the time (moving people and some basic goods around), all of those diesel vehicles yield very economical performance.

And.... before I get a corrected - I consider the gas/diesel price differential here to be an artificial construct (It's Easter, and I'm being very polite :D) cooked up by the govt/oil industry cabal. With the right people in the golf cart, that price ratio could easily be inverted, before you hit the back 9.

Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring me a Tour Egg before the weekend is up ?

Happy Easter. Rgds, D.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

//greg//
According to Jeep's website, their "best in class" claim is based on the "2013 Ward's Middle/Sport SUV segment". Same thing for the mileage range and it only has a 24 gallon tank.