Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInEburg
    You know, I was thinking that I could really go for a diesel Cherokee. But at $75k (or $65k or $55k) ain't no way no how. Oh well...
    It's not $75k, 65k or even 55k!

DiamondPilot is trying to compare a Ferrari to a Civic with his $64k SRT Jeep vs a $45k Ford Edge which is not even close...
    I still can't believe he actually thinks these two are a direct comparison, it makes no sense what-so-ever.

A fully loaded Grand Cherokee Limited with the optional HEMI V8 is $40k and I bet the diesel will be the same premium as the HEMI. They only charge a ridiculous premium for truck diesels because they can...
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota 2910

I would be concerned about parts.... i say this as my wifes 06 liberty sits at the shop with no motor and no chance of a motor or parts! 85k miles and the egr valve let junk in....spun a bearing in #2 cylinder which destroyed everything....

Chrysler never ordered a rebuild kit for this engine. It does not have parts in stock and will not order them for us. A new motor is 12 grand. Parts are about 6 if i could get them. Junk yard motors are about 4 grand and you know what you get with them....

Oh there are about 30 other libertys waiting for motors in dealer lots..... i have spoken with vm directly in us and Italy.... chrysler has nothing on order right now.
    toys....
    kubota B2910 with cab N heat
    Bobcat S205 hiflow cab heat n AC!
    Bobcat Toolcat 5600 can heat n AC!
    JCB 214S cab N heat
    a couple of trucks N'
    Lots of attachements to play with!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

Quote Originally Posted by salopez View Post
    I would be concerned about parts.... i say this as my wifes 06 liberty sits at the shop with no motor and no chance of a motor or parts! 85k miles and the egr valve let junk in....spun a bearing in #2 cylinder which destroyed everything....

Chrysler never ordered a rebuild kit for this engine. It does not have parts in stock and will not order them for us. A new motor is 12 grand. Parts are about 6 if i could get them. Junk yard motors are about 4 grand and you know what you get with them....

Oh there are about 30 other libertys waiting for motors in dealer lots..... i have spoken with vm directly in us and Italy.... chrysler has nothing on order right now.
    Hopefully it is under warranty and they gave you a rental car. Otherwise I would be livid.

Tractor
    Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc

Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

Detroit diesel was bought by Mercedes Benz. When Mercedes Benz owned Jeep they used them. They are used by JD tractors too. Look at a JD 76f, 85f, and 100f orchard tractors made in Italy. That engine is made in northern Italy in a plant owned by Mercedes Benz. They are Detroit diesels and excellent engines. We used them in the Coast Guard and they were bullet proof. Since Jeep is an Italian company now it makes sense. Oh yeah Jeep WILL make vehicles in China, just so you know, MR was right then, is right now, and was alway the smarter guy.

HS

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    It's not $75k, 65k or even 55k!

DiamondPilot is trying to compare a Ferrari to a Civic with his $64k SRT Jeep vs a $45k Ford Edge which is not even close...
    I still can't believe he actually thinks these two are a direct comparison, it makes no sense what-so-ever.

A fully loaded Grand Cherokee Limited with the optional HEMI V8 is $40k and I bet the diesel will be the same premium as the HEMI. They only charge a ridiculous premium for truck diesels because they can...
    They are a comparison. Its the styling and options that we wanted. More importantly they both fit the need of our growing family. The base or mid level Cherokee just did not have what we wanted. Same with the bade model Edge. Its just the way we buy cars. My F350, Titan, and 335I have every single option available.

I think the Cherokee is a great vehicle in any form and is its class leader. Same for the Edge. Either way they were both overpriced for me. I can only iimagine what a diesel version will cost. That was all I was stating.

Chris

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50

Default Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInEburg View Post
    .....But at $75k (or $65k or $55k) ain't no way no how. Oh well...
    I'm in this boat. As I get older my money is appropriated for farm related expenses. Thus in a few years I will be able to afford that vehicle I lusted after 10 yrs ago. My spouse will continue to get the newer vehicles.....Gary

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot
    They are a comparison.
    NO they are not!
    You can get all the options in the Grand Cherokee limited without the 425 hp 6.4l HEMI and Brembo brakes of the SRT. Ford has NOTHING that can compare to an SRT Jeep. Your comparing apples to oranges to try and make the Jeep look over priced compared to your precious Ford's. Nice try though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob77064
    Jeep had a Grand Cherokee with a VM diesel before. This is the same engine with more power.
    Not the same engine, the old DAIMLER AG built OM V6 3.0l was in the GC for 2005, 2007-2008 and didn't meet 2009 EPA emissions. This is an all new engine built by Fiat and VM Motori which is light years ahead of the old Daimler diesel.

Plus the new 8-speed auto is exactly what a diesel engine needs to keep it in the sweet spot.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

NO they are not!
    You can get all the options in the Grand Cherokee limited without the 425 hp 6.4l HEMI and Brembo brakes of the SRT. Ford has NOTHING that can compare to an SRT Jeep. Your comparing apples to oranges to try and make the Jeep look over priced compared to your precious Ford's. Nice try though...
    Go back and read my post. You know about 1/10th what you think you do.

I clearly stated both were overpriced for what they were. Reason I did not buy anything. It has nothing to do with performance, its about styling and utility. Thats what the misses wanted. But not at $800 per month.

Once again when I call you out you are not man enough to step up to the plate. Just like last week. Nothing has changed. Nothing ever will.

Chris

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot
    Once again when I call you out you are not man enough to step up to the plate. Just like last week. Nothing has changed. Nothing ever will.
    Typical tough guy behind a keyboard.
    I have no problem stepping up. You made a completely wrong ASSumption that a diesel Jeep will be way overpriced as your comparing it to a special model. The truth is the diesel option will most likely be the same price as a similarly optioned HEMI Jeep. You can't honestly say option and styling wise, the Edge only compares to a specialty race model in another lineup.

As usual you try to make it look like Ford wins when they can't even show up. Nothing has changed. Nothing ever will.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

The perfect mid-sized SUV gets better!

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-video-preview
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/over...-cherokee_2014

This would be a great entry level engine for a light duty RAM 1500 as well. I feel the auto manufacturers are slowly entering diesels into the market before flooding it once everyone's accepted them and the fuel price goes down. This engine in a 4 door Wrangler would make an awesome rock crawler too!
    A 5 years ago I had wished for such an engine just as you. Fast forward to today's world and I and I would still be interested only if that engine could obtain at least a 25% improvement in mileage with no additional operating cost over the equivalent performing gas motor. I expect diesel to never be cheaper than gas due to the demand. Adding more vehicles will only increase demand for diesel further. I know it doesn't make sense because diesel is easier to refine but the demand is just too high. Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by jejeosborne; 01-19-2013 at 12:38 PM.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast