2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #21  
Looking forward to seeing the specs on this new 3.0L diesel engine and EPA mileage estimates.

(this sounds like a personal issues, guys, but, Dmace is absolutely right here, comparing an SRT cherokee to an edge is really ridiculous). I'm having a hard time picturing what makes a nicely optioned 40k cherokee unacceptable to you, that would require getting the SRT. Just the body kit? And you got 18 mpg with the 6.4L hemi....? also a big surprise.

Anyway, back to the original topic, this should work well for Chrysler. Just FYI, there are strong rumors going around the auto industry here in southeast MI that Chrysler is already testing this new diesel engine in the 1500s. Only a matter of time!

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #22  
A 5 years ago I had wished for such an engine just as you. Fast forward to today's world and I and I would still be interested only if that engine could obtain at least a 25% improvement in mileage with no additional operating cost over the equivalent performing gas motor. I expect diesel to never be cheaper than gas due to the demand. Adding more vehicles will only increase demand for diesel further. I know it doesn't make since because diesel is easier to refine but the demand is just too high. Just my thoughts.

True. I prove that every week. Diesel for my F350, $3.89. Gas for my Titan, $3.08.

Thats a 21 percent difference.

Now look at the Passat. Gas version, 31 mpg. Diesel, 40 mpg. Added cost upfront, ect. Its a false economy.

Look at the new 3/4 ton trucks and up. Gas, about 15 mpg depending in brand. Diesels, about 18 mpg. 10 years ago things were different. The gas engines were pigs and got 12 mpg. The diesels got 20 mpg plus and the fuel was equal or many times 20 percent cheaper.

Chris

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #23  
Looking forward to seeing the specs on this new 3.0L diesel engine and EPA mileage estimates.

(this sounds like a personal issues, guys, but, Dmace is absolutely right here, comparing an SRT cherokee to an edge is really ridiculous). I'm having a hard time picturing what makes a nicely optioned 40k cherokee unacceptable to you, that would require getting the SRT. Just the body kit? And you got 18 mpg with the 6.4L hemi....? also a big surprise.

Anyway, back to the original topic, this should work well for Chrysler. Just FYI, there are strong rumors going around the auto industry here in southeast MI that Chrysler is already testing this new diesel engine in the 1500s. Only a matter of time!

It honestly came down to interiors. The Edge had Sync, raised stitched seats, finer materials, ect. The Cherokee was sub par until you got into the SRT model. The rims on both the SRT and Edge Sport made the vehicle's in out eyes.

The mpg was from dash readouts. Never had a Chrysler with one but from my experience with a dozen Fords they are very accurate. Within 1/2mpg.

Chris

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL
jejeosborne said:
A 5 years ago I had wished for such an engine just as you. Fast forward to today's world and I and I would still be interested only if that engine could obtain at least a 25% improvement in mileage with no additional operating cost over the equivalent performing gas motor. I expect diesel to never be cheaper than gas due to the demand. Adding more vehicles will only increase demand for diesel further. I know it doesn't make since because diesel is easier to refine but the demand is just too high. Just my thoughts.
I agree, this diesel is rated at 30 mpg highway (according to Jeep) vs 21 mpg for the HEMI with similar capabilities. That's nearly a 50% improvement. I bet Jeep will make the smart decision to make the engine premium the same or close to the same as the HEMI like Ford does with the Ecoboost vs standard engines. If not, they certainly will price themselves out of the competition.
Also while demand is driving the price of diesel up, the lack of refining capacity is also to blame as well as a higher goverment tax vs gasoline. With a higher demand for diesel (more consumer diesels), the refining capacities HAVE to expand and this should drive down cost again. Only time will tell...

Diamondpilot said:
It honestly came down to interiors. The Edge had Sync, raised stitched seats, finer materials, ect. The Cherokee was sub par until you got into the SRT model. The rims on both the SRT and Edge Sport made the vehicle's in out eyes.

The mpg was from dash readouts. Never had a Chrysler with one but from my experience with a dozen Fords they are very accurate. Within 1/2mpg.
Ford has Sync, Chrysler has uConnect.
Ford's system is built by Microsoft so it's buggy and everyone who uses it, hates it.
Chrysler's system is built in conjunction with Sprint and is found to be superior in nearly every aspect.
Plus the Jeep has a 7" fully customizable TFT display in the speedo cluster. Fuel mileage display is certainly available along with many other parameters. My 03 mpg display is 0.5-1 mpg off but the 2011 Dodge Journey I drove for a while was much better (0.1-0.25 off).

As for interior design and materials, that's opinion really.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #26  
Ford has Sync, Chrysler has uConnect.
Ford's system is built by Microsoft so it's buggy and everyone who uses it, hates it.
Chrysler's system is built in conjunction with Sprint and is found to be superior in nearly every aspect.
Plus the Jeep has a 7" fully customizable TFT display in the speedo cluster. Fuel mileage display is certainly available along with many other parameters. My 03 mpg display is 0.5-1 mpg off but the 2011 Dodge Journey I drove for a while was much better (0.1-0.25 off).

As for interior design and materials, that's opinion really.

See we agree on something. Interiors was the factor. She is used to nice. Other than that the cu ft was nearly identical, seating capacity the same, both AWD, ect.

When I bought my 1997 F150 I wanted a 360 Durango so bad I could taste it. It came down to the deal. Both stickered at $36000 but even though my family owns a Dodge dealership my local Ford dealer came in almost $100 less per month due to incentives and a A plan they got me. The wanted to make a deal more then my cousin.

What I am saying here is very rarely fo we go shopping with a closed mind. We look at all options, not just one type of vehicle like say a SUV

Chris

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #27  
Hey guys,

I have owned basically all of the vehicles we are talking about here including the SRT8 and a 08 CRD Limited S. I have a dealer license and basically buy daily drivers for a couple of months and sell them.

I can tell you that the new Jeep GC is a fantastic vehicle, which is backed up by both C&D and MT. I just let my CRD go as it was the only vehicle that stayed in my daily driver group for over 3+ years. I had basically no issues with except the HID level sensors and and transfer case shift motor replacement. I picked it up with 16K and sold it last year with 133K.

I will be first in line for the new diesel once they hit dealer auctions here in Canada.

I also had an 11 BMW X5 35D as well, that was also a fantastic vehicle.

The real issue has been pointed out is the up front cost. When looking at the MB ML 350 the diesel option is only a $500 option, thich in the end allows the diesel to be an attractive option when looking at performance along with great fuel economy. Look at the current crop of 3/4 ton trucks that have been engaged in a HP war at the cost of fuel economy. The diesel option here is can also be $5 to $10K in some instances.

Enhancements on the gas side are also narrowing the gap between them and the diesel side so who knows where this will go. Diesel has a higher BTU value when comparing apples to apples, you you would assume this would be the better bet, but there are some many moving parts to this who knows where it will go.

I also never achieved higher than 14 mpg with the SRT8, so I don't know how you could do 300 Miles at 18 MPG. Are you sure this was not just a Hemi Grand Cherokee and not the SRT8?

Comparing the Edge to the SRT8 and then using cost as the deciding factor is really not a good comparison.

Cheers,

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #28  
Good to see another light diesel option coming onto the market here (Canada/USA).

That said, it is a little depressing living in probably what is the only part of the world where diesels are exclusively marketed as expensive personal transportation.

Rgds, D.

/ 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee DIESEL #29  
My 2013 jeep I bought in sept. Wife loves it! It has the 3.6 penstar motor in it and I a very in pressed with what it will do! I think thus thing would beat my trans am! Lol

ForumRunner_20130119_132504.png

ForumRunner_20130119_132519.png

They did change the front grill headlights and tail lights on the 14 all looks good but the grill! Now it looks like it is smiling at you lol!

Diamondpilot said:
See we agree on something. Interiors was the factor.
I agree interiors are a factor but I STRONGLY disagree that a Ford Edge interior is so much better than an equivalent Jeep that you need to go to a SRT model to compare. It may be opinion but there's no way it's that much better if at all...
farmall 55a case said:
My 2013 jeep I bought in sept. Wife loves it! It has the 3.6 penstar motor in it and I a very in pressed with what it will do! I think thus thing would beat my trans am! Lol
Good looking Jeep!
I had that V6 pentastar in a Grand Caravan rental for a couple of weeks and agree it was an incredible engine. The low end power and mid range punch were very impressive!