Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #11  
I JUST BOUGHT A BED FOR 1350.00 IT MUST BE FROM THE WIDER FAMED SUPER DUTY. I PB PLASTED THE BOLTS AND REMOVED WITH A TROX BIT FROM AUTO ZONE WITH A IMPACT WRENCH. THE FUEL FILTER NEEDS TO BE A NAME BRAND AND THE FLAT PART OF THE GASKET FACEING DOWN TWARD THE ENGINE.CHECK OUT CURTIS 10,000 HITCH $230.00

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale
Thanks for all of the good advice. I will check out the areas you suggested. As far as the rust the truck came from Maine and it was the guys every day driver. I just don't think he washed it in the winter. He bought it new and told me everything he had ever had done to it . A lot of guys at work have 7.3 s. I'm sure they will help me out too.

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #13  
excelent deal. you will love that 7.3psd. I love mine. If your's has 3.73 rear end it will even walk good on the interstate. heck.. even 4.10 will

the 7.3 usually don't win any speed records.. but just darn good engine.. I give mine a workout daily...

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #14  
You got the deal of the century. My buddy just bought a 2000 F250 7.3 4x4 auto tranny, extend cab, short bed monday. It has 180,000 miles and rust around the wheel wells. He gave $10,000.

You stole that truck. Drive it up here and you will tripple your money.

Chris

You didn't buy that truck, you stole it! That is an excellent deal and low mileage too.

+1

That's a GREAT price for a 7.3!!! :thumbsup:

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #15  
congrats on the truck

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #16  
I have owned several diesels but the major reason is I got free fuel from the company I worked for.
The main advice I could give is keep it out of the dealership's repair shop unless you have money. Being the vehicle is from the Northeast.
Your running gear, floorboards & fenders would suffer the most. Out of flood prone areas look for internal rust in door hinges & hoods.

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #17  
You got an outstanding deal. 7.3's with over double the mileage here go for twice the price.

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #18  
   / Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #19  
Also check the radiator for the correct chemical thingy I cant remember right now a cca level maybe? I am sure diamond pilot knows what i trying to say......
FYI I owned a 2000 f250 just like that is was the best tow vehicle of all three diesels I have owned 2000 7.3psd 2003 6.0psd 2007 6.6duramax

SCA is needed in the Antifreeze coolant for a 7.3. Can get it as a separate additive, or some HD diesel older generation (green type often) antifreeze is available pre-charged with SCA. Not sure if this is your first diesel - on this type of engine, SCA is needed in the coolant to prevent cavitation corrosion in the block.

Use a good quality diesel motor oil. It is also used to control the fuel injectors on the 7.3. Needs around 15 quarts, give or take. I usually run Rotella - most any Mobil 1, Delo400 etc should do you fine.

Your pickup might have a Transmission temperature gauge stock. My van with a 7.3 didn't, so I bought a Scan Gauge II - it sucks data out of the OBDII port. I have 2 of the 4 displays on my Scan Gauge II programmed to display Engine Oil Temperature, and Transmission Fluid Temperature.

Warmer down your way, but up here, a 7.3 takes quite a while to bring the Transmission fluid up to operating temperature. The 4R100 automatic trani is the weak link - like any automatic, lifespan can be shortened by skipped fluid/filter maintenance, or hard use. Unless you can trust that it has been serviced recently, put the ATF and Diffs on your Fluid to Change list.

Of that era, the 7.3 and Cummins 5.9 are some of the best regarded diesels. You definitely scored a great buy, congratulations.

Rgds, D.

/ Bought a heavier duty truck today at a yard sale #20  
Nice find for the price. I'd check out The Diesel Stop for a load of helpful info on Powerstrokes.
There will be a thousand little things about this engine that you'll learn along the way. One that's already been mentioned is the SCA in your coolant. I found the easy way is to buy coolant with it already added. I bought mine at Tractor Supply when I did a flush last spring.
You'll find a good coolant system flush step by step here.
Good luck with your new find!