Pay extra for Load Range E's?

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #41  
It didn't seem as bad when I got rid of the OEM tires a couple months after I purchased it, and I never notice it with my '08 Diesel but the TPM makes me keep those aired up.

I don't have to run 80psi but the TPMS gets after me on the wife's Hummer and my pickup when there is a drastic temp change...

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #42  
My 2004 full size 1/2 ton pickup came from the factory with P-rated tires. For you guys waving the liability card here, how much do you figure I should sue the manufacturer for?

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #43  
My 2004 full size 1/2 ton pickup came from the factory with P-rated tires. For you guys waving the liability card here, how much do you figure I should sue the manufacturer for?

While I'm for safe vehicles, I'm not that big on spending time analyzing hypothetical "Guy driving with "non-approved" tires has a blow-out, swerves across the line and takes out a bus of Girl Scouts" scenarios. There are far too many people driving around my neck of the woods with bald tires, for me to worry about tire classes that much.

That said - what I think is valuable to each vehicle owner is understanding the trade-offs involved with deviating from the manufacturers recommended tires. A half ton is commonly spec'd for P tires, 3/4 ton and up often E's - my view is understand the reasons for what the factory engineers were doing, then make a choice based on your intended use.

Derating a tires Max load is not what I'd sign up for. Somebody else wants to make that choice, and is willing to live with the consequences, that's their call.

You don't have to change tire class (P vs. E) to significantly change tire performance. With your half ton on P's - just change the tire width substantially and handling can change quite a bit, and not always for the better.

I wonder how many of the "E police" run wider than factory tires ? :cool:

Rgds, D.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #44  

While I'm for safe vehicles, I'm not that big on spending time analyzing hypothetical "Guy driving with "non-approved" tires has a blow-out, swerves across the line and takes out a bus of Girl Scouts" scenarios. There are far too many people driving around my neck of the woods with bald tires, for me to worry about tire classes that much.

That said - what I think is valuable to each vehicle owner is understanding the trade-offs involved with deviating from the manufacturers recommended tires. A half ton is commonly spec'd for P tires, 3/4 ton and up often E's - my view is understand the reasons for what the factory engineers were doing, then make a choice based on your intended use.

Derating a tires Max load is not what I'd sign up for. Somebody else wants to make that choice, and is willing to live with the consequences, that's their call.

You don't have to change tire class (P vs. E) to significantly change tire performance. With your half ton on P's - just change the tire width substantially and handling can change quite a bit, and not always for the better.

I wonder how many of the "E police" run wider than factory tires ? :cool:

Rgds, D.

I was just stirring the pot here. Actually I hated the P rated OEM tires every day I owned them and have a set of Cooper LR E tires on it now. Still original size.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #45  
I've owned my dually since Jan 04 and have only run E's...
I can say that I have been very well satisfied with the performance of those tires...
I purchased a full set of Uniroyal Laredo HD's in 235/85...
They were rated for 50K miles...
I got 43K out of a couple, 48K out of a couple, and the inside rears are still going @ 55K...
No complaints...

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's?
I've owned my dually since Jan 04 and have only run E's...
I can say that I have been very well satisfied with the performance of those tires...
I purchased a full set of Uniroyal Laredo HD's in 235/85...
They were rated for 50K miles...
I got 43K out of a couple, 48K out of a couple, and the inside rears are still going @ 55K...
No complaints...

You obviously carry a lot of weight in your truck if you are considering 43 to 55K miles a good service life. My GMC in the OP has just under 40,000 miles on the OEM tires and they still have more than half the tread left. Maybe 5,000 of that mileage has been for heavy towing, but the remainder has been very lightly loaded.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #47  
I was just stirring the pot here. Actually I hated the P rated OEM tires every day I owned them and have a set of Cooper LR E tires on it now. Still original size.

:) All good fun Rick ! P's are often selected for cost reasons, although around here, you can presently get a pretty decent deal on E's - economy is soft, and tire dealers hungry.

I love the sidewall strength on E's. Some (not all) P's today have very thin sidewalls. If I scuff a sidewall on a nasty rock just once in the back 40, the extra cost of the E's is recovered right there, IMO.

Impressive engineering on a decent quality E tire. High capacity load, and, still, a decently smooth ride. At least on a full-size HD truck, their intended market.

Happy Trails.

D.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #48  
I don't have to run 80psi but the TPMS gets after me on the wife's Hummer and my pickup when there is a drastic temp change...

The wife's truck is nagging at you ? Technology is replacing humans !

:p D.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #49  
You obviously carry a lot of weight in your truck if you are considering 43 to 55K miles a good service life. My GMC in the OP has just under 40,000 miles on the OEM tires and they still have more than half the tread left. Maybe 5,000 of that mileage has been for heavy towing, but the remainder has been very lightly loaded.

Commercial use is brutal. Buddy of mine runs an Astro for work, fully loaded. Burns through P's pretty fast, as E's are difficult/maybe impossible to size for that Astro van.

Another buddy of mine runs a Yuk XL, and previously a Suburban for personal use. Went through a phase of towing boats with the old Sub, but mostly both were/are light personal use. Tires generally turn to rock, before the tread disappears, and he drives many more miles than you are putting on.

Rgds, D.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #50  
I run load range E on my 1 ton trucks because I figure that an extra few bucks is cheap insurance compared to a blowout while hauling something like my bobcat! Saving a few bucks on a lighter tire may work out fine - if it doesn't though...ugh, I just hate to think about the upper limit of the cost of a failure.