Pay extra for Load Range E's?

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
My Y2K GMC Yukon XL 2500 still has the OEM Firestone LT245/75R16E tires, and I am going to replace them soon although they still have good tread. Since the truck is never fully loaded nor used to tow a heavy trailer I am considering replacing the tires with standard load range instead of paying an additional $55-70 each for load range E tires. I am also thinking that the standard load tires might soften the very stiff ride. Any opinions on doing this?

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #2  
I would not go below a heavy d rated tire. Should keep you at 10k lbs but a bit softer.

I reason is if something happens and there is an accident you can be found negligent.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #3  
I have load range E's on my truck and have found one really nice and unexpected benefit of them. Nails can't seem to do any damage. I have pulled out somewhere in the order of a dozen or more nails from my tires. I have even found one curled up like a pigs tail that most have been about 1.25 long at first. I feel that the extra steel belts in the tread in the load range E's keep these nails from being able to penetrate as they have all been found stuck in the top layer. Never had a flat with any of these tires, but have had several with the standard light truck tires on my old 1/2 ton.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's?
PhilY...thanks for the input. I agree with you about the added protection of the E range tires against nail flats, but for what it is worth I have not had a nail puncture in any tire, even paasenger car tires, going back to at least 1996. For what it is worth, I only drive the Yukon about 900 miles a year now, so that really limits the chance of getting a nail puncture.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #5  
I would keep LR E on it. If for nothing else legal reasons. Also resale.

Chris

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #6  
I would keep the 'E's. I would also suggest that if you are seeing that much spread between LT tires with load range C or D and the E's, you need to do more shopping. When I bought a set of Coopers for my GMC, the spread between C's and E's was so little that C's didn't make sense at any level.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #7  
Stick with the load range E, as other mentioned for tire toughness and wear life.
FYI, insurance company's can deny a claim if the incorrect load range or speed rating tire is used. Always use equal to or great than factory.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #8  
If you never load it up and don't drive it much, why not go with Ds.

I punctured a hole in an almost new E on my dually, and Es were a lot higher in price than the Ds so I got a D. I ran it with 65 PSI anyway for the better ride. I just had to remember they are on the truck and also be aware of the reduced cargo capability difference.

Take into account the air capacity is 20 PSI difference, so if a service department adds air to your tire according to the placard on the door-post, they will be over inflated.

If you get Ds and you don't like them, 40,000 miles you can go back to Es. But at 900 miles a year that will take a while.

All that being said, when my D tire wears out, I will put all E's my dually all the way around because I do load it down at times.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #9  
Most tire stores will not put that tire on that truck as they will be lilable too.

/ Pay extra for Load Range E's? #10  
I dont see a whole lot offered in that size for LT load D tires. All the chevy owners (2500series) around here went from that ****** looking 245/75 to at least a 265 LT tire. With that most also went with "D" tires as they are more than adequate for the load. I would get the specifics on the weight of your truck and what the tires you're looking at handle for a load rating and go from there. I personally dont hesistate to change tire sizes or load ratings depending on what I use the truck for. My current tundra has load E tires on it, which is way overkill and makes for a very rough ride. There is no way my truck needs E rated tires on it thats for sure and will definatly not be getting them when its time to replace them, unless the size, like yours, kind of dictates I may need to get them to stay with the stock size tires.

Use common sense about it and you'll have no issues.

Ps- the 265 XX load D may have more load capacity than the 245 E tires, I dunno, thats something you'd have to check into.