Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need???

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #21  
I will say thank you for asking, and I (also) would suggest you find someone (who knows what they are doing) to show you. The one thing no one has talked about is where the other end of the tie down goes. I have seen people hook several heavy duty tie downs and chains to weak/wimpy 1/4 or 5/16" D rings held down by two small non-graded bolts. Basically it will not matter how strong of a tie down you use, if the tie down point fails!

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #22  
Excellent point! I only use chains hooked to my trailer frame for that exact reason.

I will say thank you for asking, and I (also) would suggest you find someone (who knows what they are doing) to show you. The one thing no one has talked about is where the other end of the tie down goes. I have seen people hook several heavy duty tie downs and chains to weak/wimpy 1/4 or 5/16" D rings held down by two small non-graded bolts. Basically it will not matter how strong of a tie down you use, if the tie down point fails!

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #23  
Yes you were smart enough to ask and I should have helped instead of being critical . I was out of line and I apologize .

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need???
Apology accepted Kevin 37b. This tractor stuff is all new to me. I am just a homeowner with 11 acres and I bought a JOHN DEERE 1026 to mow, brush hog, blade my drive and whatever else I need to do. I have found since I bought it I am using it to help me do lots of projects. When I bought it from the dealer I told him I didn't know a thing about tractors after a bunch of phone calls and a few trips to my house I bet he believes me now! I also bought a new 16' tandem axle Doolittle utility trailer with brakes on both axles. I am trying to figure out the safest way to haul my John Deere. My Dad passed away years ago I am sure if he was around he could help me with lots of these problems but since I don't know I come here and everyone has been so nice to help me with things. I snapped off my sheer bolt I hope that is the correct lingo the 1st time out brushogging but it was an easy fix after someone explained to me how to fix it. I am sure most everyone knows how but I didn't.

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #25  
In a discussion forum perhaps opinions don't need apologies as often an they're offered. Many of us are here to learn more than to advise, & skin tends to thicken as personalities are recognized and information is gleaned from consensus. Beyond sixty I've come to appreciate good advice from those half my age. I've learned a lot by over-generalizing my own angle and having the ideas/experiences clarified by those with greater knowledge. Along the way I've also learned to take separate bites of foot and crow. :eek:

OT: A guy once asked what I though of his 'hauling' trailer. My unprintable assessment of his anchor points was meant to imply that he bought a pig in a poke. Yeah, I was pretty embarassed when he said he'd added them himself. I regret how I said it, but surely not what I meant. He had robust 3" d-rings securely anchored by ....... lagging them into his deck boards.... :eek: Haven't heard a dumb question asked yet, and IMO innocence is forgiveable... This whole topic deserves at least as much comment as it's generating. Put it out there!

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #26  
I've been hauling oversize loads for 28 years in the trucking industry. I am not impressed with some of the tractor manufactures not incorporating tie down points on their machines. with that said, you need to tie to the frame of your machine diagonally out to the trailer, be it with chains and binders or straps ( KEEP BOTH OFF THE TIRES) and definitely keep the straps off any sharp edges.I personally dont like cutting the straps, because it limits their usefulness,but instead use the loose ends under the strap as protectors.Any attachment ( FEL or on the 3pt ) needs a separate tie down.
Basically , if GOD reached down and picked up your trailer and turned it upside down, your load should stay in place.

Good luck and be safe!

P.S.. I was told when I was taught to drive truck on the farm" after you have an accident, it's too late to put another chain on"

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #27  
Between me and my B.I.L. we have had 5 tractors (Yanmar, JD, NH, LS and Kubota) and the only one to have a transport tie down is the Kubota B26. I suppose that may be because it is considered an industrial model and as such would be subjected to lots of hauling. The rest, have to chain over the axles or rear drawbar attachment or some other point as best one can find that wont damage the tractor. A word of advice on chaining or strapping over the front axles, make sure you don't bind any of the steering components. After you put the chains in place, before binding them down, take a close look to make sure that when they are tightened it wont be against any bendable or easily breakable part on the tractor.
Best advice given was look up your DOT regs. They are pretty clear and make sure any device, chain, strap etc is plainly marked with the grade on the chain and WLL on straps and binders. As for chain, if it isn't marked, it is assumed to be lowest grade made -GR40. I use Gr. 70 chain with ratchet binders for the tractor and then straps for the FEL and any other attachment. All components are rated as high or higher than 1/2 of the load weight.

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #28  
Apology accepted Kevin 37b. This tractor stuff is all new to me. I am just a homeowner with 11 acres and I bought a JOHN DEERE 1026 to mow, brush hog, blade my drive and whatever else I need to do. I have found since I bought it I am using it to help me do lots of projects. When I bought it from the dealer I told him I didn't know a thing about tractors after a bunch of phone calls and a few trips to my house I bet he believes me now! I also bought a new 16' tandem axle Doolittle utility trailer with brakes on both axles. I am trying to figure out the safest way to haul my John Deere. My Dad passed away years ago I am sure if he was around he could help me with lots of these problems but since I don't know I come here and everyone has been so nice to help me with things. I snapped off my sheer bolt I hope that is the correct lingo the 1st time out brushogging but it was an easy fix after someone explained to me how to fix it. I am sure most everyone knows how but I didn't.

Check out this video, lots of good information in it.

Load Securement Safety - YouTube

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #29  
Definitely use Grade 70 chains on 4 corners of tractor and run the other end through stake pockets on trailer . If this trailer has a rail around it ,run the chains under it never over . I prefer ratchet binders , easier to use . When you load up , walk around and check everything twice . Straps are fine for any implements , watch the sharp edges . Hope this helps .

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #30  
I want to haul my John Deere 1026, I may have my loader and a rear blade on when I haul it. What size ratchet straps do I need? Break strength? I really hate ratchet straps I always have so much problems with them, I have seen those retractable ratchet straps that you push a button to release then tension on them. I might look into getting some of them. Any thoughts?

I have a JD 3320 and use Quick Loader retractable straps. They work great and I would recommend them to anyone. I hate the traditional ones! I got them at Northern tool. They're rated at 10,000 break strength. This is how I set it up and I think this would work for you...

image-2458013380.jpg

Put an axle strap on each side of your front axle and secure to trailer. Put that D ring on your drawbar and then secure each strap to you trailer. Your good to go!