Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need???

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #1  

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM
I want to haul my John Deere 1026, I may have my loader and a rear blade on when I haul it. What size ratchet straps do I need? Break strength? I really hate ratchet straps I always have so much problems with them, I have seen those retractable ratchet straps that you push a button to release then tension on them. I might look into getting some of them. Any thoughts?

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #2  
The 1026r weighs just under 1500 lbs. I would get four straps with a working load limit (WLL) of at least 1500 lbs, then tie the tractor at all four corners. 1500 lbs WLL equates to a break strength of 4500 lbs, so a set of 5000 lbs straps should do you.

In some areas, DOT will also want you to have a strap over the top of the loader and any rear implement.

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need???
Ok I got another dumb question, what tie down points do you use? I have a quick hitch on the back do I put one on each side or the holes that is under the PTO on the back? Where on the front? I never hauled one so I want to make sure and do it right don't want my tractor to fall off.

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need???
Or should I just invest in some chains? How do you get them tight though?

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #5  
I would put them on the frame of the tractor, all 4 corners. Use straps that if one fails the other on that same end still has enough capacity. For example, if a rear strap fails your remaining rear strap has capacity to hold.

For chains I would get grade 73 5/16" To tighten I put on my rear two chains then inch the tractor up to tension. For the front chains I use load boomers like truckers use.

In my state they require 4 tie downs on wheeled stuff like cars and tractors and one for each implement l ike a FEL or mower even if attached to the tractor.

I always check my straps/chains after the first few miles then every 100 miles there after.

Don't take this the wrong way but you seem lost. Get someone who knows what they are doing to help you the first time. A case of beer will be payment enough and save you injury in the long run.

Chris

Last edited:
Well, I have hauled stuff in my truck never on a trailer though and used ratchet straps but never hauled a $18,000 tractor! Just want to do it right. I have some boomers but they are not the ratchet ones and just don't think they would take up much slack. I also have a come a long too, I have lots of chains cause when I cut trees I always hook up my chains and come a long to another tree to make sure it falls the right way and not on my house. Thanks for the advice.

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #7  
Never seizes to amaze me how often this question comes up and I hope I never meet one of you coming down the road . Lost ?

Thanks for the helpful tip Kevin 37b! I have seen people in my area hauling skidloaders only to be secure with 1" ratchet straps or NOTHING at all! At least I am smart enough to ask what is the proper strength straps or chains I need to secure my load with.

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #9  
Thanks for the helpful tip Kevin 37b! I have seen people in my area hauling skidloaders only to be secure with 1" ratchet straps or NOTHING at all! At least I am smart enough to ask what is the proper strength straps or chains I need to secure my load with.

Smart move asking.

/ Trailering a John Deere sub compact 1026 what size ratchet straps do I need??? #10  
1" tie downs typically have a 1,600 lb working load,really got to watch the rating though on 1". 2" have 3,300-3,333lbs WLL. I would use 4, 1 at each corner and tie pulling opposite directions, but thats me. 5/16" grade 70 or grade 43 either one has plenty of rating for your tractor. Some pics for reference tractor tiedown3.PNGtractor tiedown2.PNGtractor tidown.PNG