2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
Hello guys,

Seems I never get time to post. With dial up at home and busy at work its all I can do just to read a few threads.

However, tonight I am out of town in Wilmington NC on business and trying to get this hotel computer to seed up enough to post a question. I will keep it short; also I will be on the road a couple more days so I will not be able to check this thread until I get back to the office.

I am going to a Estate Auction next weekend to try and get a few pieces of tractor implements, double plow, field cultivator, and cutipacker.

They have a 2001 F350, DRW, 4x4, supercab, powerstroke with 20,156 miles. I don't really need this truck since my 2002,F250 powerstrok only has 60k miles but...if the price is right I may buy it and sell mine( and my wife is the one pushing me to do this:thumbsup::cool2:. I looked at the truck and except for some rust on the chrome running boards it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. The couple only used it to pull a camper.

I will be unable to get more info on the truck until the day of the sale ( will talk to the owners son).

I am wondering if a powerstroke about 12 years old with only 2000 miles a year average is a good thing? What problems could we be looking at,if any? It sat a lot more than it moved. Are there problems that could arise from the age verses miles?

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #2  
My guess is just like every auction I have been to everything will sell for stupid crazy money. Good luck.

Chris

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #3  
I sure wouldn't be afraid of it, just be prepared to bid $20K-25K for it.

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #4  
My guess is that it sells for close to 20k

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #5  
My guess is just like every auction I have been to everything will sell for stupid crazy money. Good luck.

Chris

It sure does seem that way, Except when I'm selling!

I sure would look into this truck. I think the 7.3's are getting to be sought after, and as time goes on, I think they will be even more desirable than now. Although not a "mechanical" engine, they are much less dependant on electronic's than all the current day engines. I'm hangin on to both of mine!

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #7  
I have had a few 7.3s.... Some people forget that they had plenty of problems like everything else. Cam sensors , leaky fuel rails, HP oil pumps, and the old rotted oil pans...that you need to pull the motor to change! Not go mention a E4OD was good for about 50-60K before it started to slip and 60-70 before it just turned to saw dust.

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #8  
Hard to say with it sitting around. Have seen both sides of that coin and I would take a good look at it for sure. Thing is some issues may not develop untill the truck is actually run a good amount, seals harden etc. I've seen older vehicles with low miles and the coolant was just pure rust, ate away head gaskets.. Sitting around can do more damage than high mileage in some cases. I guess if you could get a deal on it I would use it for a while before riding your old truck as it may/ may not turn sour.

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles
Yes, I agree with everyone.

If it goes for a good price I will bid if not the main reason I am going is for the tractor implements. I can usually tell in the first hour of an auction how things are bid wise. The one advantage is the temp is going to be 20-30* that morning so maybe there will not be a lot of people. I talked with the auctioneer and he does not like doing auctions in the winter. He said if cold the crowds are small and most of the time things go cheaper than spring/summer auctions.

/ 2001 F350 XLT 4x4 20k miles #10  
keep us posted.