7 pole trailer connectors

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #1  

Dallas_Lilly

Gold Member
Tractor
Montana 4340C
Good Morning All, I was hoping somebody could give a advice on a different type of 7 pole trailer plugs. I have 5 trailers, a car hauler, dump trailer, camp trailer and two horse trailers, all have 7 pole flat plugs similar to this 7-Way Molded Trailer Wire Connector, 3' Long Hopkins Wiring H20042

I have even went as far as installing waterproof junction boxes on the trailers to make the connections rather than splicing wires and having a connection that can corrode.

On my truck I have a plug similar to this Hopkins Multi-Tow 7-Way Blade and 4-Way Flat Trailer Connector - Toyota Hopkins Wiring HM43374 except for a chevy.

My problem is this, the plugs last for about 6 months to a year and then inevitably one of the connections gets loose and doesn't always make contact! right now it is the tail light contact and driving down the road I can hit a bump and and watch the marker lights flicker. Now I know most would think loose connection or ground but when I got home I could wiggle the plug at the truck and watch it go on and off.

Does anybody have a suggestion of better plugs? I am OK with changing style and am capable of wiring something completely different. I would love to keep the factory wiring in tack on the truck but if need be I can change that too.

Any ideas?

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #2  
Subscribe because I am in the same boat as you and don't know what to do. I'm tired of fiddling with the plugs every time.

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #3  
I too have been looking for a good vehicle side socket because mine usually get corroded quickly, despite having the lid and using ample die-electric grease. I haven't found one yet, but have considered going to a mil-spec canon plug like shown here-they are waterproof and thread together. (we use them at work and I know about their durability and sealing) The problem being is that 1) I would have to do all my trailers and then I have "odd" trailer plugs that would only work with my vehicles, and 2) I have an odd vehicle that will only work with my trailers. I rent trailers occasionally, lend them out occasionally, and borrow occasionally, so this wouldn't work very well. I guess I could make some adapter pigtails to standardize them, but that seems like a lot of time and money when I can just buy a new socket every year or two and deal with it. Maybe someone will have a good solution for both of us.

ICC | Military Connectors, Backshells and Accessories - Circular, Rectangular, Fiber Optic, RF and more

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #4  
Your Idea of terminatind the wires in a waterproof box is a good one. That is the way I have my trailers set up also.
I have never used your style of connectors, but if they don't work; they don't work.
Here is what I use and I have absolutly no problems year after year:
Pollak Heavy-Duty, 7-Pole, Round Pin, Trailer Wiring Connector - Trailer End Pollak Wiring PK11700
There is no reason to be fighting your trailer connections all the time. You have better things to do.
I would also look at it as a safty issue.

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #5  
I'm needing to upgrade also, tired of using the now oddball 6 pin round plug. Wanting to switch to the RV style as that is the new "standard".

Ed

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #6  
I have never had any trouble that I did not cause. All mine on the trucks are factory. I tow a lot and just never had a issue.

Chris

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #7  
Gosh Dallas_Lilly... I don't know what to tell you.
I'm like Diamondpilot... I've just never had a problem with them that wasn't caused by me.
I have 5 trailers and tow a lot.
Once, I didn't get the plug seated until it latched and the plug fell out and dragged the ground. I had to replace that one.
On one trailer, my brother ran over the plug after he unhooked the trailer and was backing away from it so it was mashed.

Unless your harness is too short and it's pulling on them... or you are not pushing the plug straight in when coupling, I don't know what to tell you.
That plug should be able to be coupled hundreds of times without a failure. Mine are and work fine.
Those 7 pole flat connectors are the industry standard for a reason... I'm just not sure what your reason is for having so much trouble?

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #8  
One other thought... you mentioned you could wiggle the plug... does your connector socket lids not have the latch that holds the plug tight into the socket when coupled?
Just a thought.

When mine are inserted and latched, they are really tight... no wiggling.

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #9  
Same... Truck is 12 years old; truck "receptacle" still works fine. Her ein central Calif foothil "Gold Country", I do not have the salt and stuff you guys in the east see though.

I have never had any trouble that I did not cause. All mine on the trucks are factory. I tow a lot and just never had a issue.

Chris

/ 7 pole trailer connectors #10  
5picker is right. Your lid should be locked to the top of the plug to hold it in place. Some people use a 1 1/2" o-ring to snug the lid to the plug, or even a zip strip. Also, keep the connections lubed well so you are not breaking something loose when trying to disconnect. Any grease will work, but Fluid Film works great and is easy to spray all metal connectors inside and out.