Tmie for a new battery...or is it?

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #1  

yelbike

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305, 2320,Z465
I need a new battery in my 2007 truck. Its died a few times in the shop when the tint guys were doing the glass and again when they replaced the roof skin, they kept using. Now it has died twice on me at home. Both times was when I used the factory remote start, it doesn't start than the radio and lights stay on killing the battery. It's fine the rest of the time. So here's my question. I've learnt a little on here about desulfation. Is my battery beyond repair or is it a prime candidate? Is the process like preventative maintaince or is it reactionary repair?

Thanks for all and any help and suggestions.

I use this truck as a service truck so it needs to be reliable.

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #2  
That bottom line of yours says it all, New battery time.

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #3  
Figure most 2007 stuff is built in 2006. It owes you nothing and life is too short. Don't be cheap, get a new battery.....lol

Chris

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #4  
Batteries are funny... every once in awhile one will surprise me.

Mom's 2001 Toyota Corolla that she bought new still has the OEM battery 12 years and 65,000 miles later.

No matter what I do... 7 years is the longest I could get a battery to last in my 85 Truck.

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #5  
Hardest for me to keep is motorcycle batterys

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #6  
i'm no battery expert, but i think sulfation generally happens to batteries that are left unused for long periods of time. it sounds like this isn't the case with yours. i've seen some pictures of home-brew units to fix this, but it looks like they take a lot of time to do the trick - likely a lot longer than you can go without the vehicle. i'd say buy a new one for now. maybe take a chance and keep the core and build / buy a desulfator to see if it works.

around here when batteries go for long periods without maintenance or use they often end up freezing in the winter, and then the resulting fluid expansion puts the plates in contact with each other, rendering the battery useless. i've never had the interest to see whether a desulfator works yet myself, though it might be a fun project to try sometime.

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #7  
20295_lg.jpg

We're trying one of these at work for cars that are in storage for extended periods of time. Unfortunately it will be years before we find out if it actually extends battery life ;)

6 years has been our maximum lifespan for a battery - that was my wife's 2006 Hyundai daily driver. And when it was replaced it still had some life left, but little reserve capacity so I knew if she left the interior light on at work one more time she'd be stranded so it was replaced.

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #8  
   / Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #9  
My 2007 Chevy Z71 is still going on original battery even though I completely killed it a month or so ago when I left my trailer hooked up and parked for about a week. I guess the brakes killed it. Anyway, jumped it off and it charged back up. Last winter I noticed that it seemed to be getting weak at starting and expected it to go out but it is still kicking. Might go another year if I don't fully discharge it again. So far this is the longest any battery has lasted me. Most expire after 4 years.

/ Tmie for a new battery...or is it? #10  
I typically replace them at 5 years regardless. The battery is the most abused item in my truck. I don't want to take a chance in my wife's car. So the DDs get new batteries. If the batteries are still good, I put them on a trickle charge and use them on our smaller equipment. My charger has the de- sulfurizing feature, but it won't revive dead batteries.

On everything else,I replace when they get troublesome. The bobcat needs a battery now.