home made trailer....

/ home made trailer.... #1  

Case485Guy

Gold Member
Tractor
Case 485
On Craigslist locally for sale....figured you guys would enjoy

home made trailer.PNG

One of a kind Camry Camper. This is a completely striped down Camry no dash board no gas tank drive shaft . every thing that is not necessary is gone to make it light weight. It could be great for camping like a tear drop camper but lots of room. 7 feet long, by 4'6"wide plus it has a large trunk for more storage with good full spare. A $100 A/C room unit could be mounted on the front of the trailer, plywood on the floor and foam mattress I have the hood which could be added for storage and a new finished look in front. It trailers very well and is aerodynamic for less gas mileage.I thought about welding kayak rack on front and back bumper to make it duel purpose. The exterior light can be wired to the cars rear lights. In other counties to register it you just take in a description of the trailer and it's weight and tell them its home made. It could also just be used as a tool trailer with very good access

/ home made trailer.... #2  
Someone in my old neighborhood used to hall his dogs around in something similar. I think his was based on a VW or a Renault.

/ home made trailer.... #3  
Thats a first for me.

Chris

/ home made trailer.... #4  
I would question the statement of being " Home built " it is factory built car, with perhaps some modifications & customizes, I think one could have some problems with registering it as a trailer, At first glance what I see is a car in tow, right!
So who would make the decision on what it is? ... Car? ...home built trailer? ... camper?.....Hybrid? ( car/camper/trailer ) It would be interesting what the LEO's would think or have to say? perhaps they can provide some facts on how it would be determind...
Any LEO's takers out there willing to chime in?:)

/ home made trailer.... #5  
No legally different than the common pickup box trailer.

Bruce

/ home made trailer.... #6  
A pretty funny concept, but a horrible idea for a trailer. Can you imagine what the tongue weight would be if you actually loaded something into that thing? Technically, you'd probably need a Class IV hitch to tow it empty.

/ home made trailer.... #7  
I like the fact that he's pitching aerodynamics for less gas mileage.

/ home made trailer.... #8  
It's a little hard to see but it appears to me that the hitch ends right at the front at a couple of rectangular plates that are vertically oriented and attached to a part of the unibody right below the mounting point for the front struts. It might be adequate but I don't believe it will be. Also, loading the front end of the "trailer" will put a severe torsional twist on the plates since the tongue is not extended and fastened a considerable distance under the body to take advantage of any second class leverage effect.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere around that unit when it's on the road.