Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #21  
Lt CHEG said:
At this point I'm really leaning towards the new DMax.
Do it so we can drool over our keyboards when you post pics! :-D

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #22  
Just my opinion here, but pass on the Ziebart and spend the money at the car wash instead.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #23  
Just my opinion here, but pass on the Ziebart and spend the money at the car wash instead.

I would too..That crap causes more trouble than it solves...A good undercarage carwash blast every once in a while is better.

I used to use a drain oil/kero mix and spray the underneath down when trucks would rust more so than they do now...haven't done that in years thankfully

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #24  
I agree. I have seen too many GM trucks with plow sag. Meyer's and others do make kits but the GM front end just ain't up to the task. Not to mention the 8,800# or 9,200# gcwr is pretty low on the 3/4 tons. Truck weighs 7,500# & add a 600# plow and you you are pushing the legal limits with two guys in the truck and nothing in the bed. Not to mention you are probably exceeding the front axle limits.

Chris

I'm a fan of solid front axles myself (love em when off-roading in my JK), but their is a HUGE difference in the GM's HD independent front suspension after going to the "box frame" a couple of yrs back. With the addition of the box frame, the upper and lower control arms are much beefier and the ball joints on the HD's have zerks. The torsion bars are a larger diameter also. We had to add new hoists for lifting the LCA's and front hubs, and larger sets of torque guns just for the assembly of the new HD's. I think the HD Chevy/ GMC would handle a plow with no sag issues. I see em for sale here in Ft Wayne with Boss plows already on them. Here's a good article from Motor Trend in 2011 where we got the "Truck of the Year" award with the HD. This was the year of the new frame and heavier suspension upgrades. http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear..._the_year_chevrolet_silverado_hd/viewall.html

Last edited:
   / Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #25  
I love my 2012 cc 4x4 duramax. Gets 20 MPGs on the highway and 16.5 in town. Pulls like a train and rides great. Best truck I've owned in a long time. Btw I traded my 2011 dodge cummins for it. Been a big cummins fan until their DPF system absolutely ruined it. Pulling the same trailer, the duramax flat out pulls it, hands down. My duramax gets better fuel mileage loaded as the dodge did empty. Lol. But as impressive is the engine brake and Allison tranny. I'd jump on the deal personally. :)

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #26  
I love my 2012 cc 4x4 duramax. Gets 20 MPGs on the highway and 16.5 in town. Pulls like a train and rides great. Best truck I've owned in a long time. Btw I traded my 2011 dodge cummins for it. Been a big cummins fan until their DPF system absolutely ruined it. Pulling the same trailer, the duramax flat out pulls it, hands down. My duramax gets better fuel mileage loaded as the dodge did empty. Lol. But as impressive is the engine brake and Allison tranny. I'd jump on the deal personally. :)
:welcome:

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #27  
If I were in the position to trade for a new Dmax,I would. The new suspension and frame are plenty robust. Diesels are still selling good in my part of the woods,Ford,Dodge,or GM,just a brand loyality thing.I know when its time to trade, I am going back to a Dmax.THe only thing I will do different is get a 1 ton instead of 3/4. I have only 80000 miles on my current silverado,so I have a ways to go. Hopefully the new body style will be in the 1 tons by the time I am ready. LUTT

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #28  
I'm a fan of solid front axles myself (love em when off-roading in my JK), but their is a HUGE difference in the GM's HD independent front suspension after going to the "box frame" a couple of yrs back. With the addition of the box frame, the upper and lower control arms are much beefier and the ball joints on the HD's have zerks. The torsion bars are a larger diameter also. We had to add new hoists for lifting the LCA's and front hubs, and larger sets of torque guns just for the assembly of the new HD's. I think the HD Chevy/ GMC would handle a plow with no sag issues. I see em for sale here in Ft Wayne with Boss plows already on them. Here's a good article from Motor Trend in 2011 where we got the "Truck of the Year" award with the HD. This was the year of the new frame and heavier suspension upgrades. http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1102_2011_motor_trend_truck_of_the_year_chevrolet_silverado_hd/viewall.html

I am sure you are right. My GM dealer has two 2500 trucks sitting on the edge of the lot with Boss plows also. I have no experience with post 2008 GM products for personal reasons.

Chris

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #29  
Diesels still sell around here.. gassers are starting to gain popularity though. With the new diesels being over priced, over complicated, and maintenance costs getting astronomical, many private individuals and companies alike are realizing there is absolutely no advantage to the diesel anymore.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #30  
I agree with the others on the rustproofing DO NOT do it. We live in the rust belt and the only thing that actually works is oiling with sheetmetal. CJ