Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #31  
Short box or long box? You only live once get what you want if you have the coin.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon
Short box or long box? You only live once get what you want if you have the coin.

Short box; long box makes for too long of a truck for my needs. As far as the rust proofing, I've seen really good long term results from Ziebart, however I would probably be just as likely to just completely spray the undercarriage with Fluid Film. People using fluid film for rust proofing over on Plowsite rave about its effectiveness.

I'm starting to have some doubts about what the heck I want to do. I'm just not sure if I want to take the hit on my current truck. I've got a bit saved up from the sale of my 1997 F350, plus I've stashed some other cash from recent side jobs. I can take some of that stash and put it towards this new Duramax which would get me back in a diesel which is what I want to be driving, but the I'm back to wasting money by taking a loss on the current truck. I could just bank the cash and hopefully add some more to it with some more side jobs and if I'm lucky I'd be able to buy a much newer second diesel truck this summer. That would give me another dedicated work truck, likely a regular cab long box diesel, but I only put 5,500 to 6,000 miles per year on this truck and when splitting that mileage up I don't think it would be good to put that few miles on a vehicle, particularly a diesel. Plus my wife likes the idea of only insuring her car and mine, not a 3rd vehicle too.

So I guess I'm back to square one. I just need to decide if I buy a diesel now and remain a one truck for all purposes man, or wait a while and go back to having two trucks. For a guy who already has a take home car furnished by the government as well as a truck for me and car for my wife I think being a one truck for all purposes makes sense. However I wouldn't mind owning a second dedicated work truck that I'm not afraid to work real hard either.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #33  
I tried the two vehicle (for myself) even though I had a company vehicle. It didn't work well, both vehicles sat too long and fell apart.
One vehicle that does it all is best, get the diesel and be happy!

I tried the two vehicle (for myself) even though I had a company vehicle. It didn't work well, both vehicles sat too long and fell apart.
One vehicle that does it all is best, get the diesel and be happy!

You know what one of the crazy things that is holding me back is? I've said forever that Dodge has the best looking trucks (still feel that way) with the best Diesel engine (still feel that way, if only because the inline 6 configuration of the Cummins makes it easier to work on in these trucks than a V8) but that I have no faith in their transmissions. Well now I can buy a Ram with a Cummins AND a great (Aisin) transmission. I am afraid to commit to the Duramax without at least test driving one of the new Rams. I love their styling, love the motor, hear nothing but great things about the Aisin transmission and even love the Rambox. The problem is that they aren't even building the CTD 2013 trucks yet, AND I know that Ram won't be able to come close to the deal that GM is giving me. I love my current GM truck so I know I would be satisfied with one of the same style, and I love the DMax/ Allison combo so why can't I decide? I swear when it comes to making big purchases I'm worse than most people's wives.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #35  
You know what one of the crazy things that is holding me back is? I've said forever that Dodge has the best looking trucks (still feel that way) with the best Diesel engine (still feel that way, if only because the inline 6 configuration of the Cummins makes it easier to work on in these trucks than a V8) but that I have no faith in their transmissions. Well now I can buy a Ram with a Cummins AND a great (Aisin) transmission. I am afraid to commit to the Duramax without at least test driving one of the new Rams. I love their styling, love the motor, hear nothing but great things about the Aisin transmission and even love the Rambox. The problem is that they aren't even building the CTD 2013 trucks yet, AND I know that Ram won't be able to come close to the deal that GM is giving me. I love my current GM truck so I know I would be satisfied with one of the same style, and I love the DMax/ Allison combo so why can't I decide? I swear when it comes to making big purchases I'm worse than most people's wives.

Throw Ford in the mix and you will be really confused.

As for the Dodge I believe they are making significant improvements in power and some other areas in the next model year. Maybe this is what you are refering to? Give them all a chance and see who can win the bidding war.

Chris

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #36  
Lt CHEG said:
You know what one of the crazy things that is holding me back is? I've said forever that Dodge has the best looking trucks (still feel that way) with the best Diesel engine (still feel that way, if only because the inline 6 configuration of the Cummins makes it easier to work on in these trucks than a V8) but that I have no faith in their transmissions.
The one time I don't say go with the RAM instead, the poster makes the right decision and wants one. Ha ha!

Joking aside, I have yet to hear of any major problems with the current 545rfe and 645rfe autos. Dodge is still haunted by a dark past of weak tranny's but that was early 90's to the 2002 redesign. 10 years of a well proven tranny and they still get no respect.There will be the random lemon or guy towing too much with a truck that doesn't even have the tow package with the tranny oil cooler blowing up forums but nothing widespread. I personally would wait for the Aisin too as I love it in our service trucks but wouldn't walk from a good deal on a 645rfe either. With the 2013 models coming out, those 2012 models should be attractively priced. The RamBox is a great idea, I would HAVE to have that on any RAM truck I bought.

Decisions, decisions...
The good news is it's tough to make a bad one here.
Diamondpilot said:
Well he mentioned "looks" first as a selling point so that should automatically disqualify Ford. :laughing:

As for the Dodge I believe they are making significant improvements in power and some other areas in the next model year. Maybe this is what you are refering to? Give them all a chance and see who can win the bidding war.

Chris

There's a lot I like about the Ford but there's something about the new diesel that doesn't have me as excited as previous ones. I was treated extremely well by my Ford guy a couple of years ago and so I will definitely give him a shot at my money, but he's going to have an uphill battle. I'm not into the looks of the new Fords and I would put their diesel in 3rd place in my order of preference but darned if they don't just have a solid product that does everything well. If they left the front end alone I'd be more enamored with them, but they just went a little overboard with their grille design in my opinion. Ford is still a contender, but I wouldn't pay more than a Chevy for a Ford at this point and GM is being very generous right now. Heck I'm not even sure if I'd pay more for a Ram, but darned if I don't want to at least play with one. I'd probably pay a small (maybe $1500 to $2000) premium for the Ram, but not a lot since I'm confident the GM will do what I need. The reality is that with GM offering $7000 in incentives over and above the best deal my dealer will give me in all likelihood if I buy a diesel it's probably going to be a Chevy.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #38  
dude you sure give alot of thought to a truck you dont drive much and trade often.....pick one let us know how what you like what you dont and try the next one next time..... I agree that diesels are not the advantage they once were....
I have owed 2000 7.3 f250 2003 f350 6.0 and a 2007 gmc dmax.... decided to stop spending money on trucks still driving the gmc 45k ,miles now

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #39  
I don't really like the looks of the current Ford 3/4 tons and up either. I love the looks of my 06 F350. To me 07 was the last good looking year. I love the F150's looks. Personally I think the Ram is the worst looking truck of all 5 makers but thats just my opinion and not worth much. They just look cheap in the headlights and grill/front end. I loved the previous generation of Rams and even owned one. Back then I felt that Chrysler/Dodge had the best looking lineup. All in all I think the current GMC trucks look good in the front end but hate the square wheel wells GM has had for ever and the low slung frame rails under the cab. The GM lineup to me looks cheap and dated from top to bottom. Again, this is just my opinion.

Around here Toyota rules the roost. Being built here and the biggest dealers being tied to the biggest John Deere dealer sure helps. Farmers, contractors, plowers, everyone seems to be using and abusing the Tundra. About every other one around here have a huge Boss V-Plow hanging off the front and they seem to handle them as well as any of the domestic's 3/4 tons.Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and look in the lot. Ford is second with Dodge third followed by GM. I really considered a Tundra back in 08 when I bought my Titan but had concerns with the rear frame section and they would not deal because they were selling like hot cakes.

I personally think the Tundra is the best looking truck followed by the F150, Titan, GMC, Chevy, then the Dodge. But again thats just my opinion.

Chris

I don't really like the looks of the current Ford 3/4 tons and up either. I love the looks of my 06 F350. To me 07 was the last good looking year. I love the F150's looks. Personally I think the Ram is the worst looking truck of all 5 makers but thats just my opinion and not worth much. They just look cheap in the headlights and grill/front end. I loved the previous generation of Rams and even owned one. Back then I felt that Chrysler/Dodge had the best looking lineup. All in all I think the current GMC trucks look good in the front end but hate the square wheel wells GM has had for ever and the low slung frame rails under the cab. The GM lineup to me looks cheap and dated from top to bottom. Again, this is just my opinion.

Around here Toyota rules the roost. Being built here and the biggest dealers being tied to the biggest John Deere dealer sure helps. Farmers, contractors, plowers, everyone seems to be using and abusing the Tundra. About every other one around here have a huge Boss V-Plow hanging off the front and they seem to handle them as well as any of the domestic's 3/4 tons.Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and look in the lot. Ford is second with Dodge third followed by GM. I really considered a Tundra back in 08 when I bought my Titan but had concerns with the rear frame section and they would not deal because they were selling like hot cakes.

I personally think the Tundra is the best looking truck followed by the F150, Titan, GMC, Chevy, then the Dodge. But again thats just my opinion.

No doubt about it, the 2005-2007 Super Duties were some of the sexiest looking trucks ever produced. I almost bought a Tundra when I bought my last 1500 Silverado. A friend has one and they're just good trucks. I wish they would come out with a 3/4 ton, but I really think they've conceded that market to the American auto makers. The idea of a 3/4 ton Tundra with a Hino diesel like their concept truck from a few years back would be awesome.