Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #1  

Lt CHEG

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland T5.120
Yeah, I know, I'm crazy. I just bought a truck last year that I am happy with, but here's my line of thought. When I bought my crew cab 2500HD last year, I really wanted a diesel crew cab but couldn't justify the expense. Since a gas powered crew cab was rated to tow what I needed, and I wanted a crew cab even more than I wanted a diesel truck I bought my current Chevy and its been great. I wanted to put a plow on it at the time but my wife nixed that idea, so a few months later I found a great deal on a 1997 F350 Powerstroke with plow. I bought that truck at a great price and put some work into it and had a well running, strong work truck. The problem was that it didn't have air conditioning and the color while better than rust was not appealing and it really needed a paint job.

So I tinkered with the truck and got it in pretty much perfect mechanical working order. The problem is that I don't have a place to do paint work properly so there was no way that I could return the truck to its glory myself. When I priced a paint job, plus adding the components for air conditioning I realized that I was going to have twice the money into the truck that it was worth in order to have something other than just a winter plow truck. Also my wife has been starting to come around to the idea of letting me put a plow on m primary truck now that she she's how low profile the Western plow mounting system is. So I put my Ford up for sale. I got a little less out of it than I wanted but more than I had into it (not counting my time of course).

Problem is that I miss the diesel turbo hiss, the truck like rumble at idle and the limitless power that a diesel offers for my needs. So I've held off putting a plow on my 2011 Silverado right away. Then I get some incentives sent to me from GM which total about $7000. So I talk to my dealer. As it turns out I can take the money that I got from the sale of my Ford, add about $2000 to it and drive away with a brand new 2013 Duramax equipped exactly the same as my current Silverado AND a brand new Western 8' pro plus plow for around $10 more per month than I am paying now. It's a great truck at a great price (basically invoice price, fair trade in allowance for my truck and $7000 in rebates on top) and I'm close to pulling the trigger.

So am I totally nuts or just economically nuts. I know it's not the best financial decision, but I've got no problem affording this. I know my current truck would suit my needs, but I still miss having a diesel. I guess I'm just looking for a little encouragement to put me over the edge. Am I totally nuts to spend a little extra money to get the kind of truck that I've really been after for a while now? Either way I'll let you know what I decide.

Oh and by the way, I have considered other truck as well. I'm really not into the newer Ford diesels, but 2013 Ram diesels excite me. I have talked to dealers about both of the those options but at the end of the day GM is throwing so much money my way that it wouldn't make sense for me to make the switch to one of the other brand right now.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #2  
There is a reason there is them incentives. Diesel trucks are not selling. I have had 4 & 3 were very trouble free, the other was a nightmare. I still own a trouble free 2006 F350 4x4 diesel but it will most likely be my last.

Reason being it just does not make sence anymore for 9 out of 10 of us to have a diesel. The gas trucks have come a long way in the past few years while the diesel offerings have taken two steps back.

Now on to your deal. I would do it. Thats a $6000 plow setup and a better truck than what you currently have. Yes, its only $10 more per month but look at the terms. Its very easy to end up side down in a truck by living by payment only and not keeping the terms reasonable.

Chris

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #3  
Around here diesels are selling, at least the Ford and Rams are. Also see a lot of Duramax running around. If it's a SuperDuty and owned by an individual it's going to be a diesel. The gas Superduties usually go to businesses. It's the same with Ram. Even with the extra expense and worry with a very complex engine the diesels are still selling, at least in this part of the country. The Ford dealer I use doesn't have any gas SuperDuties on the lot except for the XL's that a business would buy.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #4  
I also see alot of diesels in my area, but I don't know if new ones are selling. Hey, if you want it, get it. I've always bought vehicles I liked and wanted, not always what I needed though. Its kind of my hobby though.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #5  
I'm all for spending your money to keep GM solvent. But I feel like you made a mistake with selling the Ford work truck.

The reason I say that is a few things:
- Plowing will beat up your new truck.
- If you plow more than your own driveway, you will likely be driving the truck with the plow mounted in the worst conditions. This adds wear, corrosion and risk of an accident.
- The new truck will be longer and have less visibility.
- Plow trucks love to slide into ditches and immovable objects.
- The work truck can be customized for hard duty without compromising for daily comfort.
- You could throw a load of fire wood into the work truck, versus hand placing into the new truck.

But, you have a great deal offered and the Ford is gone. And the new Dmax is sweet!

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #6  
I love the way the GM's drive/handle on the road. The only thing I can add is be carefull where you buy fuel and don't run the truck out of fuel. A few of the people who have gotten bad fuel, especially water ended up replacing injectors shortly afterwards. So I don't blame the injectors in as much as they don't tolerate dirt/water very well. CJ

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #7  
Around here diesels are selling, at least the Ford and Rams are. Also see a lot of Duramax running around. If it's a SuperDuty and owned by an individual it's going to be a diesel. The gas Superduties usually go to businesses. It's the same with Ram. Even with the extra expense and worry with a very complex engine the diesels are still selling, at least in this part of the country. The Ford dealer I use doesn't have any gas SuperDuties on the lot except for the XL's that a business would buy.

I don't have the article here on my desk but for 2011 Ford 3/4 tons and up were 75% diesel. Dodge was like 82% diesel. GM was around 35% diesel. There is a big difference between GM and the others.

Chris

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #8  
I don't have the article here on my desk but for 2011 Ford 3/4 tons and up were 75% diesel. Dodge was like 82% diesel. GM was around 35% diesel. There is a big difference between GM and the others.

Chris

now, correct me if I am wrong, but from what I read this could be partly because chevy seems to be the one with the more comparable gas engine. I am a dodge fan, but haven't heard much great about the hemi's and since I am kinda giving up on my dreams of a diesel for my next truck, I am looking more at a 6.0 GM. To be completely honest, I have been kind of a Ford basher for most of my life, but have recently opened up my mind and I don't completely take them off the table, but definitely haven't heard much positive about the 5.4 as far as towing power. As far as I know they don't have the v10 anymore, and I don't know what they do now for a larger gas motor. So the point of my post is that if dodge/ ford don't offer a capable gas engine, more people are forced to buy the diesel. Again, I am going on heresay with all of this, but I do pay a lot of attention to different opinions- especially on this site.

To the OP, if you can step up to diesel for $10 per month, then I would say do it. I would have to assume that this would re-start your loan term and you are also giving up quite a bit of cash as well, so it may not be as good of a deal as it seems. As I kind of alluded to previously, I was really wanting a diesel for my next truck. The main reason being that towing anything substantial with my 5.9 gas motor feels like I have an aircraft carrier behind me. With the advances in gas engines now, a newer gas would probably suit me fine as I am starting to realize. If I do get a diesel I will look for an early 2007 ram with the 5.9 cummins. As others have mentioned, diesels don't make as much sense as they used to. Admittedly though, if I had a money tree in my backyard I would probably go buy one anyway just because I want one.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #9  
now, correct me if I am wrong, but from what I read this could be partly because chevy seems to be the one with the more comparable gas engine. I am a dodge fan, but haven't heard much great about the hemi's and since I am kinda giving up on my dreams of a diesel for my next truck, I am looking more at a 6.0 GM. To be completely honest, I have been kind of a Ford basher for most of my life, but have recently opened up my mind and I don't completely take them off the table, but definitely haven't heard much positive about the 5.4 as far as towing power. As far as I know they don't have the v10 anymore, and I don't know what they do now for a larger gas motor. So the point of my post is that if dodge/ ford don't offer a capable gas engine, more people are forced to buy the diesel. Again, I am going on heresay with all of this, but I do pay a lot of attention to different opinions

You are right. The Hemi is a great engine but not really the best match for truck duties. I had a 2500 4x4 and was not impressed. They still use it today.

Ford dropped the 5.4 which was never a good match beyond the F150, and the V10. It was a power house but thirsty. The new Ford 6.2 liter is the best truck motor in its class but just does not get the sales numbers.

Chris

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #10  
Sounds like a deal to me, you may even make out with better fuel mileage out of the diesel. Plus MUCH better resale!