Duramax vs. Powerstroke

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #31  
I have owned and daily driven a 2003 6.0 PowerStroke F250 CC 4X4 for quite some time. Bought used in 2006 with about 27k miles. Now has 236k miles of 70% highway, 30% city. Occasional towing of a boat, a utility trailer, or a camper. I was tempted to chip it early on, but never did. It's completely bone stock on all counts except for the tires. Despite this being supposedly the worst engine ever produced by any manufacturer in the history of mankind - according to the internet - I have only had the following trouble:

1. Turbo quit working at 46k miles. Replaced under warranty and smooth spooling ever since.
2. Finally had a bad fuel injector at 231k miles. Been waiting for years for this to happen.
3. The vacuum pump finally quit this week. So I can't engage 4x4 or get any cabin air except through the defrost openings. I'll fix it this weekend.
4. The front tire tread starts to show cupping after five or six thousand miles. I let them cup a little, then rotate them to the back where they smooth out again. So regular tire rotations for me.

That's it. I keep up with the normal maintenance mostly. I wash it once a year. I drive like a middle-aged man, but do "blow the gunk out" once in a while. Since the trade in value will hardly pay the sales tax on a new replacement, I plan to keep driving it until it won't drive any more. I cross my fingers and hope that will be another couple hundred thousand miles.

xtn

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #32  
I have owned and daily driven a 2003 6.0 PowerStroke F250 CC 4X4 for quite some time. Bought used in 2006 with about 27k miles. Now has 236k miles of 70% highway, 30% city. Occasional towing of a boat, a utility trailer, or a camper. I was tempted to chip it early on, but never did. It's completely bone stock on all counts except for the tires. Despite this being supposedly the worst engine ever produced by any manufacturer in the history of mankind - according to the internet - I have only had the following trouble:

1. Turbo quit working at 46k miles. Replaced under warranty and smooth spooling ever since.
2. Finally had a bad fuel injector at 231k miles. Been waiting for years for this to happen.
3. The vacuum pump finally quit this week. So I can't engage 4x4 or get any cabin air except through the defrost openings. I'll fix it this weekend.
4. The front tire tread starts to show cupping after five or six thousand miles. I let them cup a little, then rotate them to the back where they smooth out again. So regular tire rotations for me.

That's it. I keep up with the normal maintenance mostly. I wash it once a year. I drive like a middle-aged man, but do "blow the gunk out" once in a while. Since the trade in value will hardly pay the sales tax on a new replacement, I plan to keep driving it until it won't drive any more. I cross my fingers and hope that will be another couple hundred thousand miles.

xtn

You have been fortunate. A friend of mine bought a 450 with a 6.0, and had it in the shop numerous times with injection issues- not the injector, but the management. The injector would stay open, flooding the cylinder with fuel. He took a $20,000 beating getting rid of that truck. Another friend of mine is the diesel mechanic at our local Ford dealership. His bay is always occupied with a 6.0/6.4 needing work. I have always been Ford loyal (at least until I bought a Dodge/Cummins diesel), and will stick up for them, but those two diesel engines had problems, plain and simple. Not that you can't get a good one, as you prove, but that is the exception, not the normal.
All three manufacturers have had their issues- gas engines have issues, too, but aren't typically as expensive to repair. I would say drive both the Ford and Chevy, and see what you like. Otherwise, it is a hit or miss on getting a problem free truck or not.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #33  
+1

However, I'm next to two F250's (04 an 03) with the 6.0, both with over 300k. They are contractor trucks and while I have no idea of the maintenance or repair history, they are beat unmercifully. The bodies and interior are trashed. But these guys run them everyday and all over the US.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #34  
You have been fortunate.

Oh I know it! Like a dummy I didn't research before I bought. Didn't realize until a month or so afterwards - when I found dieselstop.com to read up about tuners/chips - that I had accidentally bought such a problematic truck. I drove with anxiety for the first year or so, and then I realized worrying about it wouldn't change it. Just put it out of my mind and drove. And drove. And drove. Even when the turbo went it was a non-event. Still drove fine, just didn't have much grunt.

However, I'm next to two F250's (04 an 03) with the 6.0, both with over 300k. They are contractor trucks and while I have no idea of the maintenance or repair history, they are beat unmercifully. The bodies and interior are trashed. But these guys run them everyday and all over the US.

Glad to hear it. Hope I reach that mileage and well beyond.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #35  
That must have been either a sick 6.0 or a derated version like they put on cabs and chassis. I have been around dozens of both the 7.3 & 6.0 and a 6.0 in stock form will out perform a chipped and modified 7.3.

Not saying the 7.3 is a bad motor. I loved mine but power wise it was no 6.0 even with a grand in mods.

Chris

i agree. I wouldn't get rid of my 7.3's.. but the 6.0 is almost a race car engine compaired to them.,. I've parked a tire on the 7.3's but they are not a donut blower.. :) the 6.0.. well.. it is a donut blower if asked.. :)

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke
Ok, so by the sounds of it I should stay away from the 6.0L Powerstroke, there may be a few good ones but most are bad. Take the older 2003 7.3L Powerstroke or 6.4L Powerstroke or a Duramax.

The 7.3L, 6.4L and Duramax are all common rail injection unlike the 6.0L that is oil pressure injected. Correct???

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #37  
it's probably safer to say there are \a few bad ones and plenty of good ones.

there aren't sites setup to post about the good ones. but when bad one out of warranty eats 6k-12k$ over time.. that gets reported pretty heavilly.

kinda like priests and teachers abusing kids.

really. only a FEW do it.

but it makes the news!

that said. given the choice.. i'd get a late 7.3 :)
Ok, so by the sounds of it I should stay away from the 6.0L Powerstroke, there may be a few good ones but most are bad. Take the older 2003 7.3L Powerstroke or 6.4L Powerstroke or a Duramax.

The 7.3L, 6.4L and Duramax are all common rail injection unlike the 6.0L that is oil pressure injected. Correct???

Last edited:
   / Duramax vs. Powerstroke #38  
it's probably safer to say there are \a few bad ones and plenty of good ones.
While I agree very few people join forums to say how great their trucks are, rarely do problems get blown out of proportion.
For example, the Duramax injector issue was pretty widespread but also not as common as the 6.0l problems and therefor not nearly as well known as the 6.0l problems.
The Cummins "53" block was a problem but again not nearly as common as the 6.0l problems.
The fact that the 6.0l was so bad with so many problems that it destroyed a great and long running relationship between the auto manufacturer (Ford) and engine manufacturer (Navistar/International) shows it was a much larger problem than other diesel engine's.

To say "there may be a few good ones but most are bad" when speaking of the 6.0l is certainly more accurate than " a few bad ones and plenty of good ones" which better describes good engines with lesser problems like the Duramax and Cummins listed.
IMHO of course. :laughing:

To the original poster, the 6.4l was not much better in terms of reliability and much worse on fuel. So far the all new Ford built 6.7l seems to be a winner but not in the range you're looking for. Not sure why you left out the Dodge/Cummins combo but for 2004-2009, it's tough to beat...

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #39  

The 7.3's use oil pressure to inject the fuel, too.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #40  
do you have #'s for amount produced, and amount repaired?

seems if less that 50% repaired.. there are more good than bad.. no? just looking at #'s.

and if the # is 20/80 ??

While I agree very few people join forums to say how great their trucks are, rarely do problems get blown out of proportion.
For example, the Duramax injector issue was pretty widespread but also not as common as the 6.0l problems and therefor not nearly as well known as the 6.0l problems.
The Cummins "53" block was a problem but again not nearly as common as the 6.0l problems.
The fact that the 6.0l was so bad with so many problems that it destroyed a great and long running relationship between the auto manufacturer (Ford) and engine manufacturer (Navistar/International) shows it was a much larger problem than other diesel engine's.

To say "there may be a few good ones but most are bad" when speaking of the 6.0l is certainly more accurate than " a few bad ones and plenty of good ones" which better describes good engines with lesser problems like the Duramax and Cummins listed.
IMHO of course. :laughing:

To the original poster, the 6.4l was not much better in terms of reliability and much worse on fuel. So far the all new Ford built 6.7l seems to be a winner but not in the range you're looking for. Not sure why you left out the Dodge/Cummins combo but for 2004-2009, it's tough to beat...