Duramax vs. Powerstroke

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #41  
The 7.3L, 6.4L and Duramax are all common rail injection unlike the 6.0L that is oil pressure injected. Correct???
Only 6.4 & 6.7 are common rail, 7.3l is HEUI (hydraulically actuated electronic unit injection) with either a cam operated or electric pump.
do you have #'s for amount produced, and amount repaired?

seems if less that 50% repaired.. there are more good than bad.. no? just looking at #'s.

and if the # is 20/80 ??
Do you?
Obviously that's a well protected secret behind Ford's corporate doors. You can only judge by what you see in the real world when actual numbers aren't there.

They all have their problems but those that are "mostly good" get updates and redesigns. The ones that are more bad than good get replaced and destroy contacts.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #42  
If you are going to look at the 7.3 ford I would suggest a manual transmission. I drove a 2002 f250 with the enclosed reading work body. During that time I pulled a 12' enclosed trailer more than driving just the truck. I put 280,000 miles on the original clutch. When it was replaced the clutch still looked hardly used what gave out was the pressure plate I think 4 springs broke if I remember right.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #43  
In 2006 ford sold about nearly twice as many Dmax and Cummins trucks combined. So yes, the numbers looked skewed. I don't have data for each and every year but I did tons of research after getting bit by my 05 Dmax and buying my 06 F350.

Chris

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #44  

no I don't. whish is why I asked you. Since you said my 'guess' of more good than bad was wrong and imply your 'data' of more bad than good is correct.

with no data. they are both guess's thus my question if you actually had access to a source.

kinda pointless to argue about it if you can't flip to the bak of the book and check the answer.

I have certaintly heard / read stories about bad 6.0's

My real world experience is with (now) 3 of them at work. all 2004 models.

none with blown engines.

the 3rd one we just rectently bought from another contractor. it's interior is ragged.. and bed is a lil beat. but front end is nice. got it for 2k$ and bought it to take front clip off of and scrounge a few other parts for another 04 that got backed into a while back be a payloader on the job ( i posted about that ). i found this one for sale on consignment at a log before xmas.. it went away.. but I fouind the owner.. an asphalt paver in our area.. we bought it.

has 280k miles on it by the way. we have all the maint logs. it's had 'routine maint' and got a new set of batts and an alt late last year. other than that.. oe engine and tranny.. ( 2wd ). runs like a scalded dog. too bad we are parting it.

anyway. back to my point.. the 3 i have direct experience with had no issue.

I'm not nievew enought to say my sample population is indicative of all.. however.. if they are all pieces of junk like claimed.. you'd think out of 3 we'd have hit 1 bad one.. no? :)

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #45  
there are plenty of sites ABOUT the 6.0.. both that praise it, and that hail it.

without actual numbers of birth/death.. I don't see a precise way to say if there are more good than bad.

do you dispute that?

I'm saying that with no concrete data.. how can you draw a conclusion that is not speculation and conjecture?

really?

As for replies from owners that have/had them.

I expece the ones that had good ones chime in.. and ones that are bad chime in.. that's why you see praise and condemnation.

My gm yukon is a POS... I'm sure there are good ones out there. but mines a POS.. and it got/gets/ good care and regular maint. It's just getting to hard to keep all systems running. It is currently on schedule for replacement with a truck that I believe will be better... a 7.3 2002 or 2003. Can I say all gm's are POS based on my exp? nope. but mine is.. to the point I won't take a chance on another gm.

I imagine if I was a user and got a 6.0 and it cost me 6k$ a couple times.. I might feel the same way.. ( and yet ) still not be indicative of the entire population...

just saying....

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #46  
Having had a 2005 F250 Lariat SCREW with the 6.0, I believe that proper maintenance of that engine is one of the keys to its longevity. In other words, if you don't maintain it correctly, it is likely it isn't going to give you good service. That oil must be changed every 6000-7000 miles. Always sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs after every oil change, and they always came back good except for one time I let it go to almost 8000 miles. That sample showed a marked increase in metals and water in fuel, and an admonition to change the oil sooner. The samples after that were good. Get that *&(%^$ Ford Gold coolant out of there using the proper flushing procedure, and install ELC. Plugged up oil coolers, leading up to plugged a EGR cooler, is expensive.

My biggest complaint about my 6.0 was the FICM. That is a non-moving part that shouldn't go bad at 60,000 miles like mine did. It is mounted on top of the drivers side valve cover, doesn't get much cooling there, maybe that has something to do with the many failures of these units. That is a $1100 repair bill.

If I were to consider buying a used 6.0 now, it would need to have a documented history of proper maintenance from Day One. If not, I'd move to something else. If it showed any signs of having been chipped or tuned, I'd run like ****. If I were convinced that it had proper maintenance, then there wouldn't be any issue with buying another 6.0.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #47  
We just sold our 06 ford super duty for less than half of what we paid for it and were lucky to get that. Piece of garbage 6.0 motor. We sued ford under the lemon law and were awarded 4000.00 which didn't come close to our repair bills. If youve had problems with your 6.0 there is a fund established already for the lawsuits. Get in while you can. Friggen ford. I'll never buy another. We just bought a 2012 dodge 3/4 ton 4x4. Hopefully it will be a better truck. Already have an 01 that is like a race truck. Cummins all the way.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #48  
Thanks to the EPA's meddling with diesels. It isn't much of a choice. Pre 2007 emission standards will save you much on fuel costs and service costs.
Given the price of gasoline vs. diesel at the pump. And the difference between new or used gas vs diesel trucks. One has to sharpen a pencil and figure cost per mile or wanting to drive a diesel.
A new direct injection Ford or direct injection Chev/GMC isn't that far from the price of a used diesel.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #49  
Me, i had a 03 dmax, qas a good truck. Sold the truck at 300 000 km, dis put a ser of injectors under the warranty and 1 transfer case due to the infamous pump rub issue ( that I wasn t aware before it fail).

Now i have a 06 dmax, LBZ dually, 136 000 km. The lbz generation of dmax was the est and last before the newer 2007.5 new diesel clean engine. So the lbz (06& 07.5) is a really good engine, i would recommand it. But no dmax before 06 due to injector issue and some over heating with the 05. But if youdo get a dmax, i would recommand getting educated on the rub pump t case issue and get the 100$ retro fit done bedore it die on you and cost 2k$.

One of my friend had a 2005. 6.0 pstroke and he literraly put over 5k$ in parts & labor within 2 years ( oil pump, fuelmpump, injector, ecm qiring harness , ect....). So my dmax went more to the ford dealer getting him to work or droppong him there after work than the GM dealer.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #50