Duramax vs. Powerstroke

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #1  

MIKE R

Elite Member
Tractor
Many
I am considering buying a 3/4 ton diesel truck in the fall of this year hopefully. Looking at the year range of roughly 2004-2009.

What are everyone's experiences with the Duramax Diesel and the 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel. (problems, mpg empty/loaded, ride)

I want to hear from people with their trucks STOCK, not ones running 80pounds boost pulling 300+hp more then the stock hp and complaining about blowing the gaskets.

Please be respectful of each others vehicle thoughts and choices. If this thread gets to be brand bashing argument I will have it closed.

PLEASE READ THE BELOW QUOTES BEFORE POSTING

Perhaps it's a cabin fever epidemic, but there's been a flurry of posts in threads that did not live up to the high standard of civility TBN is known for. These posts resulted in the threads being closed. If you cannot make your point without name calling, brand bashing and in a manner that respects your fellow TBNers, please rethink what you've written. Thank you.

1. Don't take comments made by someone on the Internet, who you don't know and have never met so seriously.
2. Seeing who reports posts in this forum to the Moderators is interesting. Major cases of the 'pot calling the kettle black".
3. You don't have to defend your favorite brand. In the long run, and the short run, it doesn't matter.
4. Report posts that violate the rules, don't play moderator.
5. TBN has always been about sharing experiences, good and bad. Just because someone else had a bad experience with your favorite brand, that's not an insult.
6. Use common sense. Political threads belong in The Front Porch. Most of the people who post a lot in this forum know the topics that are political.

If you can't say it nicely, don't say it.

We ask that anyone posting in the Trailers & Transportation forums refrain from brand bashing with terms such as Durajunk, Powerchoke, etc... It is not acceptable in the tractor brand forums and, as such, is not acceptable here, either. Thank you.

Last edited:
   / Duramax vs. Powerstroke #2  
I have an 02 Duramax Dually. 93,000 miles. No problems except 1 electric switch after warranty. $250.
Empty 17-20 longer trips. Just chasing around to town and three or four mile trips about 14-15 MPG.
Most on a couple tanks was a one time 21 MPG. Driving 65 MPH.
Pulling a 37 fifth wheel, 17,000# around 10-11 on a trip. Best running through Illinois was 12.25 driving 55 or so.
I did put chip in shortly after I bought it new, but baby it and only use the power judiciously.

PS. I really like my truck and surprisingly my wife has been hinting very much to buy a new one. My problem is that, the one I have now pulls our camper around quite easily and it has been pretty faithful. Now that I said that I am sure something will break down.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #3  
I have has them both. A 04 F250 4x4, a 06 F350 SRW 4x4, and a 05 3500 SRW GMC Dmax 4x4.

Only problem with either Ford was a bad dash cluster. I still have the 06. It gets 17 mpg tank to tank. 23.6 mpg is the best tank on a highway trip. 15 mpg towing my 15,600# boat. Its aerodynamic so don't expect that towing say a 5th wheel. I have both chipped with 120HP Quadzilla chips, 4" exhaust, and aftermarket intakes and air filters.

If looking at a Ford get a 05 or later. Better front suspension and most all the 6.0 earlt issues were addressed.

I had a 05 3500 SRW GMC 4x4. I sold it after 9 month for my F350. Injectors, glow plugs, paint, electrical issues, leaks, power seat issues, ect. The straw that broke its back was overheating. It was bone stock. It got 15 mpg tank to tank and 21 on the highways. It would have matched the Fords if chipped, ect. Towing it seemed to drop more than the Fords to about 11 mpg but then again the mods might have fixed this.

If getting a Dmax get a 06 or later LBZ motor. The injectors and overheating issues were addressed finally.

I bought all three trucks brand new so no prior abuse.

Chris

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #4  
Can't speak about Ford but I had an 05 3/4T Dmax and later an 07 3/4T Dmax. The ride was excellent on both. Not harsh or too stiff.
The 05 was the best for MPG. I was getting about 20 empty and 14.5 while hauling a 7K load. In 06 GM started adding more emission control devices to the exhaust (UREA System?) and the MPG on my 07 dropped to only 15.5 empty and about 11 towing the same load. Both towed great (barely knew anything was behind me) but MPG was lower.

Since I don't haul much over 7K I went back to a 1/2T. I bought an 08 that got 18.5 empty and 12.5 towing. Just last month I traded the 08 in on a 2013 1/2T that is supposedly rated for 21 MPG highway. I haven't been on any long rides and haven't towed yet so local driving is about 15.5 MPG. TV ads are claiming the new Dodge 1/2T to get 25 MPG.

You definitely need a 3/4 for your camper but I don't have a clue what new ones are getting for MPG. If you go with a used GM get one before 07 that doesn't have the UREA system for better MPG.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #5  
Can't speak about Ford but I had an 05 3/4T Dmax and later an 07 3/4T Dmax. The ride was excellent on both. Not harsh or too stiff.
The 05 was the best for MPG. I was getting about 20 empty and 14.5 while hauling a 7K load. In 06 GM started adding more emission control devices to the exhaust (UREA System?) and the MPG on my 07 dropped to only 15.5 empty and about 11 towing the same load. Both towed great (barely knew anything was behind me) but MPG was lower.

Since I don't haul much over 7K I went back to a 1/2T. I bought an 08 that got 18.5 empty and 12.5 towing. Just last month I traded the 08 in on a 2013 1/2T that is supposedly rated for 21 MPG highway. I haven't been on any long rides and haven't towed yet so local driving is about 15.5 MPG. TV ads are claiming the new Dodge 1/2T to get 25 MPG.

You definitely need a 3/4 for your camper but I don't have a clue what new ones are getting for MPG. If you go with a used GM get one before 07 that doesn't have the UREA system for better MPG.

They did not have Urea in 07. They put a DPF filter in starting in 07.5 models. New body style. In about 2010 they went to Urea. The best years for a Dmax is 2012 or later due to the frame upgrade. Other then that a 06 LBZ and a early 07 LBZ, prior to the 07.5 body change that added mpg robbing DPF.

Chris

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke
So you want to hear people's "problems" but don't want to hear from anyone with "nothing good to say". :laughing:
I guess I can only talk about good problems then. :laughing:

So far you have no problem with DiamondPilot listing his "problems" with the Duramax so he must have done it in a good way or you only want to hear people tell you to buy a Ford becuase your minds made up.

Ok then, go buy the 6.0 Powerstroke because it's obviously built up a solid history of proven reliability. Then when you have a $8000 repair bill requiring a 3 week cab off repair, don't come here and say anything bad about it. Wouldn't want you to have to close your own thread. :laughing:

Please be respectful of each others vehicle thoughts and choices. If this thread gets to be brand bashing argument I will have it closed. If you have nothing good to say don't say it.

Alright. Let clarify what I was trying to say.

I don't want to hear people calling each other names and insulting each others choice of vehicle. I want to hear people experiences with the trucks and thoughts on each. I know I opened a can of worms and expect to be able to have a mature conversation on the trucks.

Nothing good to say about each other as in name calling, ect...

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #7  
Got a buddy that has an 05 Max...
He pulls a 36' fifth wheel camper with it...
No problems at all...
He bought it new and really likes it...
I have another friend that bought an 04 Stroke and he has had good service out of it...
I don't know which release he had but evidently the first issues with the engine were resolved by the time he purchased his...
I am a Ford truck guy but appreciate the Max and Dodge alternatives...
There are good ones and bad ones in all makes and models...

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke
I would add my expert opinion as I've driven these diesel trucks (cab-chassis) day in and day out for years but have nothing "good to say" about either. Both left me stranded multiple times. I would add my good experiences but he didn't ask about the Cummins which has been the best to date for us.

If you really want an opinion on the 04-09 Duramax vs. Powerstroke, I say Duramax/Allison all the way but 05 and newer. Neither of those two diesels were good in 2004. Can't say much for ride as they are both rough with dually's and utility bodies.

Thank you. What problems did you experience with them?

"Nothing good to say" is in terms of calling people names and bashing the brands. Discussing problems is not bashing. I want to hear about the problems and thoughts on the trucks.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #9  
I just sold my 2004 F250 Superduty , 6.0 is trouble , glad to see it go , would never own another ,stay away , Ford has a billion law suites over it , nothing but junk , buy the older 7.3 or buy a 2013 , trust me

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #10  
Thank you. What problems did you experience with them?

"Nothing good to say" is in terms of calling people names and bashing the brands. Discussing problems is not bashing. I want to hear about the problems and thoughts on the trucks.
I understand, just found it funny.
The Powerstrokes were head gaskets or EGR coolers and a couple with bad turbos. Not a single one made it past 75k without some kind of problem. The worst being the headgaskets but that was only two of them and at 100k and 120k. Most common is failed EGR cooler. Keep in mind these trucks are run hard and idle a lot but are fleet maintained. The 6.4's are better but suck down the diesel. Only two 6.7's now, too new to us for a good review.

The Duramax's were better in terms of reliability and the Allison tranny is much stronger. They weren't as good on fuel mileage but felt stronger pulling. Also, fuel mileage is moot when grossing 25k lbs +.

My experience with cab-chassis setups may not help with pickup truck questions as much but engines don't change much. They're just used more lightly in pickups hauling groceries and boats.