Thieves love those trailer hitches!

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #121  
my ball mount stick out 20'' inches never a problem with the law bout it

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #122  
my ball mount stick out 20'' inches never a problem with the law bout it

I'll bet the females in your town love you!:thumbsup::laughing:

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #123  
What kind of hitch? I leave my drop hitch in 90% of the time. Keeps idiots that dont know how to park from giving my bumper a tap at the store. Its thoroughly greased in the tube, so removal isnt an issue (usually).

That said, I do have a hitch lock. Maybe I should use it. I dont have much faith in the lock remaining free with our sal condidions however.

Im seriously thinking of going pintle anyways. Not only are they less of a target to theves, nobody will want to borrow my trailers :D Plus they are a bit easier to hook up.

I keep my receiver in the truck to prevent the local version of Hit N Run. After they swallow the hitch ball through the radiator, they don't go very far!

Yep, mine stays locked in. And it's already saved the rear bumper on my 1-ton once. I pulled straight through a parking spot at the Home Depot so my rear was in the center. (And luckily I didn't park normally.) I walk out and some HVAC service van is pushed up hard against my ball and mount. He would probably have parked hard against my bumper if the ball mount had been out. Yes, I was all on my side of the line; he had to pull over into my area. The bad part for him was that my truck rolled back a couple of inches when I started to pull out. And I didn't bother to look back when I left. Hopefully he had some 'splainin' to do to his boss.

Yes, if it's a choice of MY vehicle being damaged (with the mount out) or someone else's (with it in)... then that's no choice.

the guy with the f150 that hit the rear of my f350 at a stoplight last june got about 3000+$ damage from that bonehead move.

front clip, hood, some quarter panel and bumper involvement. no front lamps survived.

oh.. did put a small dent in my bumper.. smaller than the one I put in backing into my own trailer.

I remove my tounge if I am not going to be using it that week. if any time that week.. i leave it in. I have a side tool box in the bed it goes in along with tie straps..e tc..

Bird, you're taking it too personally because of your experience 50 years ago.
I don't think even ONE of us "wants to damage" anyone's vehicle... we just don't need to share in the damage to make us or the other guy feel better. My mount and ball will stay put and I'll have a very clear conscience.
But I'm happy YOU would feel better taking a few hundred dollars or more of rear end damage to save the other guy a tow bill... possibly.

I think the law is called Darwin's law. My guess is it's becoming a bigger issue now with cellphones. So I say we have to punish the victim.

Here is another 10 pages about nothing . You've got BIRD with his little do right BS , about nothing . Who gives a **** about some dummy that rearends you? Either get off the phone , quit texting , drive attentively , quit tailgating , Ireally don't have any sympathy for these morons ,What in the **** has the hitch got to do with anything .
Perhaps reason for a good proportion of thefts. When you start seeing locked ones knocked sideways youll know.
larry

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #124  
Not to hijack this thread, (he says while hijacking the thread) but lets say that you are caused harm by my being irresponsible, my intention isn't to cause harm but.

i'm not a comparative religion scholar.. but I guess you have to draw a grew line somewhere .. kinda like the law does.

if I'm driving and a person steps out in front of me.. and I hit him.. yeah.. i hit him.. but it was nigh unavoidable for me.. and in most cases.. no charges will be filed if everything is in order.

I imagine you have to defign negligence.

begnign innocent negligence, vs haphazard wrecklessness.

If I run thru a room of crowded people blindfolded wildly swinging a machette, hoping not to hit anybody.. I'd say there will be negative karma involved.

if I'm walking along and a buddy tells a joke and I double over laughing and bump into somebody spilling their drink.. it was an error on my part perhaps.. but I don't think it would count negatively ont he karma scale.

( thus.. an answer of : i don't know / maybee / maybee not ) :)

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #125  
Perhaps reason for a good proportion of thefts. When you start seeing locked ones knocked sideways youll know.
larry

i don't see how vandalism justifies anything?

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #126  
larry

i don't see how vandalism justifies anything?
:confused: ... You must mean you dont see how intentionally causing greater damage in an accident justifies vandalism. I see that it may stimulate and explain it. ... I dont see that either is justified.
larry

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #127  
For those who believe it's illegal to drive without shoes, regardless of which state you live in, and maybe you're right, but I sure would like to see the statute in question and how it's worded. I cannot really vouch for the accuracy of this website, but to the best of my knowledge, it's correct:

Is it illegal to drive without shoes? - DMV Answers

I see in my state it says its not recommended. I guess that is what I was told 25 plus years ago in Drivers Ed. Either that or our instructors just lied and says it was illegal like what my memory is.

Chris

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #128  
:confused: ... You must mean you dont see how intentionally causing greater damage in an accident justifies vandalism. I see that it may stimulate and explain it. ... I dont see that either is justified.
larry

vandalism would presumably be both illegal and imoral.

unintentional damage can be neither, depending on the circumstances ( and intent ).

lets keep in mind inthe average accident where someone runs into my back end.

it's wholly their fault. if their front end is crushed in.. that hood bent in half with a hole in it won't cost any more to replace than one just bent in half. same wath a radiator bent and split and pushed back intot he engine. costs the same with or without hole.

in the situation where someone has stopped behind me and left a fair distance ( car length comes to mind ).. or half that. that's what I leave.. 5-6' minimum. impact that moves you thru that distance is going to be a BAD wrwck anyway.

1 exta hole won't matter.. AND it's still not my fault. it's the drivers fault who caused the accident.

If I'm standing holding a knife and you are standing near me and someone comes up behind you and throws you into the knife i'm holding.

i didn't stab you.. the jerk who pushed you did.

if it's legal to have the tounge in and no trailer.. and you aren't intending on using it as a rear mounted battering ram.. the argument about the person in front being evil is absurd.... :(

my opinion of this will simply not change.

I don't expect you to change yours. feel free at any moment to quit trying to convince me. i'm doing the same.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #129  
I see in my state it says its not recommended. I guess that is what I was told 25 plus years ago in Drivers Ed. Either that or our instructors just lied and says it was illegal like what my memory is.

Chris

Chris, he probably didn't intentionally lie, he probably believed it because it sure seems to me as if nearly everyone was told that at some time. I know I was told it was illegal at least 55 years ago, but I've still never found such a law on the books (that's not to say there isn't one somewhere in some state).:laughing:

And there may be a law somewhere that prohibits driving with your pickup tailgate down, but that's another one I've yet to see in any law book. I know a lot of people think leaving the tailgate down will improve their gas mileage, and I think that's a logical expectation, but every study I've seen concluded the opposite.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #130  
i don't mind tailgates down.. as long as they are not hauling something that sticks out a couple feet and not flagged.

note.. my touge sticks out a shorter distance than my tailgate.

apparently the law thinks that's fine along with unflagged loads that don't stick out more than a couple feet either... seems a tounge issue may be moot if you can have unflagged laods WAY past a tounge.

guess they are evil too.. ;)