Thieves love those trailer hitches!

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #11  
I've had a lock on mine so long the last time I tried to take it out the lock wouldn't turn.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #12  
My hitch comes off the moment the trailer is disconnected...Theft and shins are the main reason.

I agree. It drives me nuts when people leave them in, including my father who insists on using a lock. Guess who gets to cut it off when it freezes in or he needs to swap bars for a different drop or ball size.... I think I have cut three off now. Not a easy job without damaging the hitch or truck. Stay away from locks.

This is one reason I love my Titan. There is a built in locking box for the hitches. I keep 3 in there, a extra pin, 6' 3/8" chain, 30' tow stap, and 4 1" ratchet straps. Its safe, secure, and water tight.

Chris

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #13  
When i bought my 1500 i had to cut one out of my truck with a 8" saws all blade and pound the 3 pieces out with a large chisel. Oxy acetylene , penetrating oil and a winch with sledge wouldn't budge it. I didn't have any liquid nitrogen on hand to try shrinking it with.

Dave

I tried to get a class 1 (1 1/4") out of a Chevy Astro van one time for my boss. I heated it, beat on it, chained it off to a utility pole and yanked it, ect no budge. We even lifted the rear wheels off the ground 4' with the Backhoe and gave up.

We just ordered a new hitch from E-Trailer and swapped it all out.

Chris

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #14  
What kind of hitch? I leave my drop hitch in 90% of the time. Keeps idiots that dont know how to park from giving my bumper a tap at the store. Its thoroughly greased in the tube, so removal isnt an issue (usually).

That said, I do have a hitch lock. Maybe I should use it. I dont have much faith in the lock remaining free with our sal condidions however.

Im seriously thinking of going pintle anyways. Not only are they less of a target to theves, nobody will want to borrow my trailers :D Plus they are a bit easier to hook up.

They beat your truck and tanny though. That little slop makes for a jerking noisy ride. I had one and quickly converted to a 2 5/16" ball.

Chris

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #15  
You think they steal them for scrap?

nope, i think its a vicious cycle. some jackass steels one because they need one for there new pickup or whatever. and the guy who just had one stolen steels one to replace the one he lost and so on and so on.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #16  
I used to take mine out all the time.
Not any more.
I have a very large tow ring for working in the woods and a drop receiver for the ball.
I pull out the tow ring time to time and grease the tube.
I just ordered a new combination pintle / ball receiver and locking pin.
Curt 48007 Receiver Mount Combination Ball and Pintle Hook : Amazon.com : Automotive
I'll coat the new receiver with grease and leave that in all the time.
Since I grease the receiver I don't want to throw it under the back seat.
The lock pin was just under $13 with free delivery from Amazon.com
Curt Manufacturing 23021 5/8 In Hitch Lock 30000 Lb Packaged : Amazon.com : Automotive

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #17  
Yep, had one stolen from me last year. 150.00 lesson learned

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #18  
I agree. It drives me nuts when people leave them in, including my father who insists on using a lock. Guess who gets to cut it off when it freezes in or he needs to swap bars for a different drop or ball size.... I think I have cut three off now. Not a easy job without damaging the hitch or truck. Stay away from locks.

This is one reason I love my Titan. There is a built in locking box for the hitches. I keep 3 in there, a extra pin, 6' 3/8" chain, 30' tow stap, and 4 1" ratchet straps. Its safe, secure, and water tight.

Chris

I wish I could say the same about my otsix Titan, the dang storage locker seems like it attracts water, and I can't figure what is wrong with the seal or how I might fix it. I have my air spring fittings mounted inside, but otherwise I don't store stuff in there- just gets sopping wet.

I have one of these Curt hitches, and like it so far, but I hate to spend over 50$ for the locking pins they make for it. This thread has me rethinking it...

41QcLg1vL8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #19  
I keep my receiver in the truck to prevent the local version of Hit N Run. After they swallow the hitch ball through the radiator, they don't go very far!

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #20  
I have always had mine locked but recently just keep it in the truck. I also have taken my gooseneck ball out and put in the truck.