Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 2020, IH CC 1250, Ariens 926 Snowthrower

Default Re: Thieves love those trailer hitches!

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    What kind of hitch? I leave my drop hitch in 90% of the time. Keeps idiots that dont know how to park from giving my bumper a tap at the store. Its thoroughly greased in the tube, so removal isnt an issue (usually).

That said, I do have a hitch lock. Maybe I should use it. I dont have much faith in the lock remaining free with our sal condidions however.

Im seriously thinking of going pintle anyways. Not only are they less of a target to theves, nobody will want to borrow my trailers Plus they are a bit easier to hook up.
    I've heard that those "4 ball" hitches (the ones that you flip to get different sizes) have a life expectancy of about 15 minutes when left unattended.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Deere 5055E

I leave mine in. It protects my rear ranch hand in the event of being rear ended. Mine will be fine but they will at least need a new grill and radiator. I also use mine as a step because the dodge duallys are so dang tall. Never had one stolen. Guess thieves try to avoid hillbillys.

Brett

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Deere 5055E

I leave mine in. It protects my rear ranch hand in the event of being rear ended. Mine will be fine but they will at least need a new grill and radiator. I also use mine as a step because the dodge duallys are so dang tall. Never had one stolen. Guess thieves try to avoid hillbillys.

Brett

Tractor
    '73 MF135 & Montana 4540

Yep, mine stays locked in. And it's already saved the rear bumper on my 1-ton once. I pulled straight through a parking spot at the Home Depot so my rear was in the center. (And luckily I didn't park normally.) I walk out and some HVAC service van is pushed up hard against my ball and mount. He would probably have parked hard against my bumper if the ball mount had been out. Yes, I was all on my side of the line; he had to pull over into my area. The bad part for him was that my truck rolled back a couple of inches when I started to pull out. And I didn't bother to look back when I left. Hopefully he had some 'splainin' to do to his boss.

Yes, if it's a choice of MY vehicle being damaged (with the mount out) or someone else's (with it in)... then that's no choice.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Ben Franklin
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1973 MF135 Perkins Gas and 2006 Montana 4540 w/FEL

Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

Quote Originally Posted by teejk View Post
    I've heard that those "4 ball" hitches (the ones that you flip to get different sizes) have a life expectancy of about 15 minutes when left unattended.
    LOL. I got one of those too, for the few trailers with oddball hitches I got. Nobody wants that either Maybe they're scared of all the rust on it

Tractor
    Kubota M8540

If you get rear ended from speed with a drop hitch in, it is a good way to do serious frame damage due to the huge moment arm involved I've seen crashes where the truck would have probably been better off with no hitch in. Especially if the cars bumper beam connects with the hitch. The hitch becomes a crowbar and your frame folds up like a pretzel

Dave

Dave

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Kernopelli View Post
    Ran into the store the other day and was gone 10 minutes. Came out and my pintle hitch was gone. I mentioned it at work and 2 of the 3 guys I was talking to said they had had a hitch stolen in the last year. $150 lesson for me....not sure what it cost them but rest assured, I learned my lesson! Thought I would mention it and hopefully save someone else the same fate. Lock it or take it out when you are not using it. It's actually illegal in IL to leave your unused hitch in now anyway....just little known and seems rarely enforced.....guess I really don't have a right to complain since I shouldn't have been driving around with it in anyway.....but I sure hate a thief!!!!!
    Can you share the rational on it being illegal in IL to leave the hitch in? I'm curious.
    Mine stays in, with a lock pin. I have the interchangable ball system ( 1 7/8, 2, 2 5/16- it works well), and have had no issue with the receiver freezing in the hitch. I know the hitch is there, and don't bang into it. I do take the gooseneck ball out, so that it isn't in the way when hauling flat stuff like plywood.
    "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..." Romans 1:16
    Kubota B7100 HST 4WD
    94 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3700SU

I have been known to leave the hitch in mine at times. On the occasions where I need to drive the truck into the city and back up to a building, it lets me know when I'm exactly 5" away from hitting my bumper!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 2020, IH CC 1250, Ariens 926 Snowthrower

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    LOL. I got one of those too, for the few trailers with oddball hitches I got. Nobody wants that either Maybe they're scared of all the rust on it
    not funny at all (although it is)...those things are expensive and "odd-ball" trailers are not that "odd-ball" at all...my 16' trailer takes 2 5/16", my boat takes 2", my utility trailer takes 1 7/8"...that's why the person invented it I guess.

Used to be a chemical that you could buy that was invisible until somebody washed his/her hands then it turned bright pink and stayed for a week or so.

Tractor
    Kubota RTV 900, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .

Started to lock mine years ago.coobie
    Kioti DK40se hst cab with KL401 loader,Kubota RTV 900,John deere X740,Kioti 73 inch tiller.Ingersoll 4020 3pt,troy bilt tiller,Billy goat brush cutter.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast