Thieves love those trailer hitches!

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #31  
What kind of hitch? I leave my drop hitch in 90% of the time. Keeps idiots that dont know how to park from giving my bumper a tap at the store. Its thoroughly greased in the tube, so removal isnt an issue (usually).

That said, I do have a hitch lock. Maybe I should use it. I dont have much faith in the lock remaining free with our sal condidions however.

Im seriously thinking of going pintle anyways. Not only are they less of a target to theves, nobody will want to borrow my trailers :D Plus they are a bit easier to hook up.

I've heard that those "4 ball" hitches (the ones that you flip to get different sizes) have a life expectancy of about 15 minutes when left unattended.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #32  
I leave mine in. It protects my rear ranch hand in the event of being rear ended. Mine will be fine but they will at least need a new grill and radiator. I also use mine as a step because the dodge duallys are so dang tall. Never had one stolen. Guess thieves try to avoid hillbillys.

Brett

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #33  
I leave mine in. It protects my rear ranch hand in the event of being rear ended. Mine will be fine but they will at least need a new grill and radiator. I also use mine as a step because the dodge duallys are so dang tall. Never had one stolen. Guess thieves try to avoid hillbillys.

Brett

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #34  
Yep, mine stays locked in. And it's already saved the rear bumper on my 1-ton once. I pulled straight through a parking spot at the Home Depot so my rear was in the center. (And luckily I didn't park normally.) I walk out and some HVAC service van is pushed up hard against my ball and mount. He would probably have parked hard against my bumper if the ball mount had been out. Yes, I was all on my side of the line; he had to pull over into my area. The bad part for him was that my truck rolled back a couple of inches when I started to pull out. And I didn't bother to look back when I left. Hopefully he had some 'splainin' to do to his boss.

Yes, if it's a choice of MY vehicle being damaged (with the mount out) or someone else's (with it in)... then that's no choice.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #35  
I've heard that those "4 ball" hitches (the ones that you flip to get different sizes) have a life expectancy of about 15 minutes when left unattended.

LOL. I got one of those too, for the few trailers with oddball hitches I got. Nobody wants that either ;) Maybe they're scared of all the rust on it:laughing:

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #36  
If you get rear ended from speed with a drop hitch in, it is a good way to do serious frame damage due to the huge moment arm involved I've seen crashes where the truck would have probably been better off with no hitch in. Especially if the cars bumper beam connects with the hitch. The hitch becomes a crowbar and your frame folds up like a pretzel

Dave

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #37  
Ran into the store the other day and was gone 10 minutes. Came out and my pintle hitch was gone. I mentioned it at work and 2 of the 3 guys I was talking to said they had had a hitch stolen in the last year. $150 lesson for me....not sure what it cost them but rest assured, I learned my lesson! Thought I would mention it and hopefully save someone else the same fate. Lock it or take it out when you are not using it. It's actually illegal in IL to leave your unused hitch in now anyway....just little known and seems rarely enforced.....guess I really don't have a right to complain since I shouldn't have been driving around with it in anyway.....but I sure hate a thief!!!!!

Can you share the rational on it being illegal in IL to leave the hitch in? I'm curious.
Mine stays in, with a lock pin. I have the interchangable ball system ( 1 7/8, 2, 2 5/16- it works well), and have had no issue with the receiver freezing in the hitch. I know the hitch is there, and don't bang into it. I do take the gooseneck ball out, so that it isn't in the way when hauling flat stuff like plywood.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #38  
I have been known to leave the hitch in mine at times. On the occasions where I need to drive the truck into the city and back up to a building, it lets me know when I'm exactly 5" away from hitting my bumper!

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #39  
LOL. I got one of those too, for the few trailers with oddball hitches I got. Nobody wants that either ;) Maybe they're scared of all the rust on it:laughing:

not funny at all (although it is)...those things are expensive and "odd-ball" trailers are not that "odd-ball" at all...my 16' trailer takes 2 5/16", my boat takes 2", my utility trailer takes 1 7/8"...that's why the person invented it I guess.

Used to be a chemical that you could buy that was invisible until somebody washed his/her hands then it turned bright pink and stayed for a week or so.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #40  
Started to lock mine years ago.coobie