Thieves love those trailer hitches!

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #41  
I agree. It drives me nuts when people leave them in, including my father who insists on using a lock. Guess who gets to cut it off when it freezes in or he needs to swap bars for a different drop or ball size.... I think I have cut three off now. Not a easy job without damaging the hitch or truck. Stay away from locks.

This is one reason I love my Titan. There is a built in locking box for the hitches. I keep 3 in there, a extra pin, 6' 3/8" chain, 30' tow stap, and 4 1" ratchet straps. Its safe, secure, and water tight.

Chris
Chris,have to disagree on the locks.I have been useing locks for the last 6-7 years as long as you keep them lubed up they work well if you don,t well thats a different story.coobie.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #42  
I have been known to leave the hitch in mine at times. On the occasions where I need to drive the truck into the city and back up to a building, it lets me know when I'm exactly 5" away from hitting my bumper!

That's not a parking technique I'd want anyone to know, much less be proud of it.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #43  
I keep mine locked if I'm using it. If not its locked in my tool box in the bed. To expensive to have someone walk off with.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #44  
i got a locking pin after having a tounge stole.

on the other hand.. I went to the park yesterday at lunch to walk the 1.5m track around a duck pond.. when I got back to my truck i saw oil bpttles someone tossed into my bed?

some odd jiffy store brand 10w30

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #45  
That's not a parking technique I'd want anyone to know, much less be proud of it.

Sometimes tucking a F350 4x4 into a downtown Boston parking lot , can require creative solutions.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #46  
not funny at all (although it is)...those things are expensive and "odd-ball" trailers are not that "odd-ball" at all...my 16' trailer takes 2 5/16", my boat takes 2", my utility trailer takes 1 7/8"...that's why the person invented it I guess.

Used to be a chemical that you could buy that was invisible until somebody washed his/her hands then it turned bright pink and stayed for a week or so.

Ive got most of my trailers converted over to 2". Only odd balls I got left are the aluminum boat trailer and the lawn tractor dump trailer (1 7/8"). It was worth it to save frustration. They'll get changed next time hitches are on sale, if I remember to pick some up that is.

That dye sounds like a great ideal..

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #47  
Ran into the store the other day and was gone 10 minutes. Came out and my pintle hitch was gone. I mentioned it at work and 2 of the 3 guys I was talking to said they had had a hitch stolen in the last year. $150 lesson for me....not sure what it cost them but rest assured, I learned my lesson! Thought I would mention it and hopefully save someone else the same fate. Lock it or take it out when you are not using it. It's actually illegal in IL to leave your unused hitch in now anyway....just little known and seems rarely enforced.....guess I really don't have a right to complain since I shouldn't have been driving around with it in anyway.....but I sure hate a thief!!!!!

I have heard that rumor several times myself. the truth is it was proposed in the 2009 legislative session and die in committee in 2011. It is illegal to leave a hitch in if it obstructs the license plate, when not towing a trailer.

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #48  
My pintle on my truck has a locked pin. I also drove it in with stainless shims when I got the truck so it wouldn't clunk when halling a trailer. Probably could pull the pin now and she still wouldn't work out......

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #49  
I keep my receiver in the truck to prevent the local version of Hit N Run. After they swallow the hitch ball through the radiator, they don't go very far!

the guy with the f150 that hit the rear of my f350 at a stoplight last june got about 3000+$ damage from that bonehead move.

front clip, hood, some quarter panel and bumper involvement. no front lamps survived.

oh.. did put a small dent in my bumper.. smaller than the one I put in backing into my own trailer.

I remove my tounge if I am not going to be using it that week. if any time that week.. i leave it in. I have a side tool box in the bed it goes in along with tie straps..e tc..

/ Thieves love those trailer hitches! #50  
Chris,have to disagree on the locks.I have been useing locks for the last 6-7 years as long as you keep them lubed up they work well if you don,t well thats a different story.coobie.

Guess that depends where you live and what they use on the roads. Also the lock brand and style have something to do with it. I have cut off my fair share.

I will pass and just take it out like intended.

Chris