Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

Default Re: Thieves love those trailer hitches!

I think if someone wants to leave their hitch in its their choice.

One thing I see more of a problem then driving with the hitch in, it is them "b@ll sacs" that people hang from their hitches.

Tractor
    John Deere 790, 420, 314, "L/60" Custom & 70 I

On my two previous pickups, I bolted the drawbar in & peened the threads of the bolt (grade 8). Used them too frequently to remove! Now I remove it if not using within a day or two, since I don't tow as often. ~~ grnspot

Tractor
    1026R

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE R View Post
    I think if someone wants to leave their hitch in its their choice.

One thing I see more of a problem then driving with the hitch in, it is them "b@ll sacs" that people hang from their hitches.
    Truck Nutz, see quite a few of them up here. Also see a lot of really crude decals/stickers up here.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Hitch in or out don't matter. A wreck is wreck. Mine are in always, because I guess I'm too lazy to take it out and in. I don't hit my shin it. The way cars are designed to crumble on impact a hole in a radiator is not much on the insurance claim. My entire truck bed is steel, I could cut a hole and put ball in my bumper. If someone hits it , it's go to leave a mark. I did not build it to assault other motorist that hit me though.

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Used to live in So. Calif.......if you don't lock your hitch.....you won't have for more than a day. Can't leave anything of value in the back of a pick up either......tools are history if you leave your truck parked for more than a few minutes. I once politely reminded a guy in a Home Dept parking lot that the circular saw that apparently jumped from my truck to his truck better jump back real quick or it would become part of his lower anatomy. He must have been a college grad because he understood shapes and sizes and realized a circular saw would be mighty uncomfortable in a small hole. Had I come out a minute later...my saw would have been gone.
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

My hitch stays on all the time, too. And it is locked. I had one stolen, too. I use a trailer about 1 day a week. I hit my shin once or twice and it hurt. Now, I am smart enough to avoid walking close to the back of a vehicle because of it.

I cannot believe the govt wants a law for something like that when there are too many real issues that need attention.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Yeah, the 20 seconds it takes to make a switch really wears me down. Meanwhile its not a hazard or thief target.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Kubota BX24; John Deere 4020

Quote Originally Posted by Runner View Post
    If I think I'll be using the hitch in the near future, I leave the drawbar in. Anytime I have anything in my receiver, it has a lock on it unless I know I won't be leaving the vehicle unattended. When I know I wont' be using the hitch for awhile, I have a hitch step installed (and locked) to prevent bumper taps.Attachment 301773

I'm always amazed at the trusting souls I see running around with a drawbar in the their receiver that is not locked.
    I didn't know such a thing existed either. The things we learn on TBN! I was trying to read the name on it, then just decided to google "hitch step". Wow, lot's of selections out there...

I cannot believe the govt wants a law for something like that when there are too many real issues that need attention.
    Of course there will always be laws some disagree with, and there are laws I disagree with, too, but that doesn't mean I refused to obey and/or enforce them. We all (well, it should be all of us anyway) pay auto insurance premiums, and the more money spent on repairing damage, the higher insurance rates will go. So I think a law requiring the removal of the hitch would be a very good law.
    Bird

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    So I think a law requiring the removal of the hitch would be a very good law.
    Strongly disagree. Don't need more laws to protect the stupid from themselves.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast