New diesels and emissions. A bad thing?

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #21  
I think all the talk about regulation is overblown. The regs are a very small % of cost, and the rest of the world is catching up anyway. The big factor in manufacturing is labor. As long as folks in other coutries will work for a small fraction of what we do, we will lose jobs. The only option is to automate the processes as much as possible. Which eliminates much of the labor.....

Sorry, but you are very wrong. The costs if emissions equip on diesels is quite high as they are very difficult to clean up. Gas engines are a breeze by comparison. The solutions tor diesels are also pretty poor, but it us all they can figure out for now. Having to add DEF is a poor engineering solution, but it is the best there is for now.

Hopefully, someone creates the breakthrough like they did on 2strokes a few years back. They went to a new stratified combustion/intake and cleaned them up a bunch, mostly ht burning a lot more of the gas going into the cyl. Nit to imply this is a solution for diesels, just the innovation process that created a dramatic technology shift...

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #22  
That's the reason I have an 07 instead of an 07.5 model.I probably won't get another diesel because of the emission crap on the newer diesels

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #23  
That's the reason I have an 07 instead of an 07.5 model.I probably won't get another diesel because of the emission crap on the newer diesels :(

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #24  
That's the reason I have an 07 instead of an 07.5 model.I probably won't get another diesel because of the emission crap on the newer diesels

Same here. Holding on to my 06.

Chris

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #25  
I'm surprised the Gummint hasn't banned diesel "delete kits." Back in the early 80's a coworker had a Chevy pickup and he removed all the pollution crap on the engine. The truck ran fine; but Colorado was getting ready to implement its worthless emissions testing program, and they check for tampered emissions equipment. Since my coworker pitched all the emissions crap into the trash; I suggested he consider trading that truck in on something else and let some sucker dealer be stuck with his modified truck. He traded the Chevy in on a Ram equivalent of a Bronco/Blazer.

Now with all the computerized engine management systems; I suspect it's difficult to delete the emissions devices and still have the engine run more or less properly. The same thing will happen with diesel emissions devices as the technology evolves.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing?
A year or so back, I read a story about the diesel in the half ton Ram pickup. At that time, the emissions equipment alone for the half ton diesel cost the same as the entire Hemi drivetrain did for the same truck. This is one of the things that killed the diesel in the half ton ram.

I know on gas engines, you can delete the emissions stuff on the hemi, it takes some work though so you don't get a lot of check engine lights, but it can be done. Its not really worth the trouble unless you really race them in a serious manner because you don't gain a ton of horsepower.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #27  
Westcliff has raised a major point . The EPA personal want employment security and power. They will always invent another crisis to monitor .
No different than government welfare departs . If poverty was solved these welfare department employees would be out of work.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing?
Another thing to keep in mind, many of the people on this forum live in areas where air pollution isn't a big issue. There are parts of the country where its a real problem. When someone talked about "burn bans" where on certain days they can't burn wood for heat it kind of opened my eyes.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #29  
Dave, I agree with what you're saying. Between 2006 and 2009 model years, you couldn't buy a VW TDI anymore because they couldn't meet the new emission standards (not sure if the same was true in the US). When they brought the TDI back, re branded the clean diesel, for the 2009 models, I happen to be looking for a new car and went and test drove one. My family has always had VW diesels, starting with the regular turbo diesel (what a dog!) and then moving to the TDIs. I couldn't believe how improved the new clean diesel was over the previous versions when I test drove it. It is 140hp and 250+ lb/ft torque (I can't remember the exact number), it no longer smells like a diesel, it doesn't sound like a diesel (hardly a sound at all) and from what I understand, it has lower emission levels than a Toyota Prius. It goes like stink, especially in sport mode and does 1500 km/932 miles (up from 1000 km in previous TDI's) on a tank. There's also no additive or urea to add.

I haven't heard that the new diesels are any more or less problematic than the previous versions and the cars still retail around the same price. To me, they brought out a MUCH better product, in terms of performance, efficiency and cleanliness, because they had to meet the new regs. I don't see why this has to be different for tractors other than the fact manfactures have not been making the incremental improvements that VW had been making for many years. I didn't buy one because I would have had to wait 9 months for the wagon version, but I would have if the timing was better.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #30  
If a family struggling to put food on the table buys a 50k powerstroke truck, I'm not too worried about them...

That's not zero emissions, its just shifting the burden. You still have to dispose of the gas and the cylinders ;) But I get your point. Frankly the cost of newer diesels have put me well out of the market. Manufacturers will continue to pass the costs onto end users, as long as they keep buying. Then the secondary market makes a fortune with tuners and delete kits...its a self-perpetuating cycle.

What about a welder who owns his/ her own business and needs a diesel to haul their welder and steel to jobs? Diesel trucks are not bought just by rich folks who want to feel like a trucker.