New diesels and emissions. A bad thing?

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #31  
Lets not forget about the added bonus for the gummit to require emissions on new diesels....... nearly doubling their fuel tax income. We've gone from commercial trucks getting 7 - 8 mpg, to getting 3- 4 mpg. Pickups getting mileage in the low 20s, down to low teens.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #32  
What about a welder who owns his/ her own business and needs a diesel to haul their welder and steel to jobs? Diesel trucks are not bought just by rich folks who want to feel like a trucker.

To each his own, but if I was in that spot I couldn't justify spending $50,000 when a $5,000 or $10,000 truck, paid for with cash, would accomplish the task. Its not like the truck is going to improve the weld quality.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #33  
Lets not forget about the added bonus for the gummit to require emissions on new diesels....... nearly doubling their fuel tax income. We've gone from commercial trucks getting 7 - 8 mpg, to getting 3- 4 mpg. Pickups getting mileage in the low 20s, down to low teens.
Always made me wonder why it is better for the environment to burn twice as much fuel to meet the new emissions standards...

Aaron Z

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #34  
We've gone from commercial trucks getting 7 - 8 mpg, to getting 3- 4 mpg
I believe the number for pickups, but the most I've heard regarding semi trucks is .5 to 1mpg decrease. If you have any more info I 'd love to read up on it.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #35  
I believe the number for pickups, but the most I've heard regarding semi trucks is .5 to 1mpg decrease. If you have any more info I 'd love to read up on it.

My wifes ex is a trucker. He bought a new Volvo in 07. It gets 7 mpg. He said the 07.5 and later with dpf, ect gets 4. He is so happy he bought when he did.

He knows it will not last forever. He is just hoping his timing is right so when he needs to replace it the mpg are back up.

Chris

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #36  
To the quoted poster: What makes you think the technology is dictated ? The technology is just a recommendation, in other words is something that is known to work. There are FTP cycles that replicate various driving modes and in the last 10-15 years so called "Not to Exceed" standards, which arose out of the manufacturers tuning their control systems to only pass the defined tests but to pollute like all heck any other time.

I probably should have said "approved" technology.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #37  
Some of the cleanest burning diesel cars/trucks/vans/buses I have ever seen are in the Philippines, mostly built in Japan/Korea. Only drawback is no heaters, but don't really need a heater in the Philippines, just cold air conditioning. Some of the dirtest also there, getting behind a old dump truck in Manila is horrible.

mark

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #38  
Always made me wonder why it is better for the environment to burn twice as much fuel to meet the new emissions standards...

Aaron Z
Me too!. I got out of a 03 Chevy 5500 weighing 19K lbs. and got into a 2012 Ford F550 weighing 18K lbs. I get less than half of the fuel mileage in the Ford vs the Chevy.
Doing the same work, one more gear for the Ford, less power, and not quite 5 mpg!.
IMHO, the EPA should step back to the pre-2007 emissions regs. They were the best compromise between fuel efficiency, power, reliability, and emissions cleanliness.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #39  
Sorry, but you are very wrong. The costs if emissions equip on diesels is quite high as they are very difficult to clean up. Gas engines are a breeze by comparison. The solutions tor diesels are also pretty poor, but it us all they can figure out for now. Having to add DEF is a poor engineering solution, but it is the best there is for now.

Hopefully, someone creates the breakthrough like they did on 2strokes a few years back. They went to a new stratified combustion/intake and cleaned them up a bunch, mostly ht burning a lot more of the gas going into the cyl. Nit to imply this is a solution for diesels, just the innovation process that created a dramatic technology shift...

Ok. innovation is always good, but how does that affect the cost? Btw, I con't see most diesels on the road as being needed. I used to haul a tractor and implements around, and the cost of a diesel never penciled out. With the gassers getting as much as 350K on a engine, longevity isn't much of a factor anymore either.

/ New diesels and emissions. A bad thing? #40  
What about a welder who owns his/ her own business and needs a diesel to haul their welder and steel to jobs? Diesel trucks are not bought just by rich folks who want to feel like a trucker.

I would bet that 80% of the diesel trucks are bought by wannabes. I have a bunch of neighbor's that have diesels, including one that has a customized F650 that never, ever tow or haul anything. One of my neighbor's just got his license pulled after mowing down a bunch of mailboxes with his F350. He's 85, and legally blind....:) It's good that the family stepped in before somebody got hurt.