Boat trailer mod advice

/ Boat trailer mod advice #1  

rockshaft

Gold Member
Tractor
1026R
I have an approx 27ft long tandem axle boat trailer and i'm thinking on some mods and would like opinions.
1) the drop leg jack is fairly close to the coupler. I was thinking of relocating it back a couple feet, inside the "A" part of the frame.
2) the spare/mount is on the outside of the A-frame. I think it might better to have it located on center, just behind the A-frame, and on its side instead of upright.

My reasoning for doing this is to add a water-tight enclosure to the breakaway and hydraulic powerpack, which would be submerged at launch w/o protection. I'm also contemplating a coupler extension for use on ramps not steep enough to keep my truck's rear end out of the water.

If my drop leg jack has ~800lbs on it where it is now, about how much will this change if its moved a couple feet further back?

sail boat trailer 001.jpg

P1030821.jpg

Last edited:
   / Boat trailer mod advice #2  
Why do you have to get so far back in the water to launch? It seems to me the trailer is undersized for the boat. If it was one of my trailers I would extend the tongue to allow these issues to be non existing or trade out the trailer for one that is more suitable.

As for moving back the tongue jack its going to add quite a bit of weight. Two feet could easily double the weight. Building a water tight box is just about impossible. I would forget that.

Chris

/ Boat trailer mod advice #3  
I notice its aluminum. Be careful putting the jack on just one of the A frames, you're putting all the weight there VS across 2 members. Aluminum trailers are more likely to have issues, especially twisting (jacks tend to put weight on one side). The weight is going to depend on the boat. I'd think of putting it as far back on the tongue as possible, or using 2 so that you can share the load for long term storage. The tire mod should work well, mine is setup the same way, just measure with the boat on so you don't bump up against it... Just out of curiosity why do you care that the tongue jack is close to the coupler?

/ Boat trailer mod advice
Trailer was custom built for a full keel sailboat. Extensions are commonly used, unless one wants to pay a lift to launch. The electronics were supposed to be mounted high on the bow stop pedestal, unfortunately it was only verbal and not written into the contract- trailer came from quite a ways off, otherwise i'd take it back for the manufacturer to fix. Now i need to relocate the stuff or a friend of mine suggested i might construct a water tight box- shoot, even a plastic tote turned upside down could work, but i'd have to move the jack.

Yes aluminum, though the tongue tube itself is galv. Moving the jack back inside the a-frame would actually be a stronger location as far as the frame is concerned(would still be on centerline galv tube) , just wasn't sure on the drop leg

Nope, don't think its undersized. The boat is 20ft long and draws about 4ft of water.
I am taking your advice on not trying to box the electrics (you weren't the only one telling me that would be tricky). After looking at how its set up, i think i can move everything up on the winch pedestal (as i had expected it to be) by only re-routing the hydraulic line and extending the electric lines. I'm still considering whether moving the jack back a few feet will work. The rating is 2k lbs i believe, but i'll need to move everything, including the trailer (which is currently on a slight slope), so i can really get a handle on what moving the jack will mean.

Why do you have to get so far back in the water to launch? It seems to me the trailer is undersized for the boat. If it was one of my trailers I would extend the tongue to allow these issues to be non existing or trade out the trailer for one that is more suitable.

As for moving back the tongue jack its going to add quite a bit of weight. Two feet could easily double the weight. Building a water tight box is just about impossible. I would forget that.

Chris