Starting to think about my next truck

/ Starting to think about my next truck #21  

No I don't. I want one of the Ram 5500's. If they go into production.

IMG00127-20130123-1644.jpgIMG00128-20130123-1645.jpg

/ Starting to think about my next truck #22  
There's one other thing. If you are planning on putting a deck on the new rig, you will want the low profile version of whatever chassis you decide on. That way you will still be able to put a fifth wheel or a goose neck on the unit. We made that mistake with ours and had to modify our trailer.... $$$

It's not an issue with an F550 or similar, obviously.

/ Starting to think about my next truck #23  
This truck with the trailer upgrade definitely puts me in at least a class B license, technically I'm already there but the pick-up bed on my F450 gives me some leeway.

you'll need to do a little more research on cdl license requirements. a class b license is for straight trucks, ie no trailer. from wikipedia:

Class A truck
Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg).

Class B truck
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg) GVWR.

Class C truck
Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.

if you get stopped in a cdl vehicle without the appropriate cdl license you are not going to be a happy camper after the feds get done working you over.

/ Starting to think about my next truck
Thanks for clarifying that. I had already figured on a class A with a haz mat endorsement since I will have so much bulk oil with me.

ForumRunner_20130208_163259.png

Here is the oil I picked up for my job this weekend.

/ Starting to think about my next truck #25  
If you limit the number of consumer packaged products ( 5 gal pails ) you won't need placards or a special endoresment on your license. The number of pails is specified in any Transportation of Dangerous Goods manual.

Well in the bed and the cab combined there was 100 gallons of hydraulic oil, 50 gallons of gear oil, and 20 gallons of engine oil. I'd bet that that is outside of the legal limit, lol.

/ Starting to think about my next truck #27  
Well in the bed and the cab combined there was 100 gallons of hydraulic oil, 50 gallons of gear oil, and 20 gallons of engine oil. I'd bet that that is outside of the legal limit, lol.

the limit might be 1001 gallons to be placarded, but it is worth your time and energy to learn the hazardous materials regulations. whether or not you get the hazmat endorsement is one thing, but you probably ought to know what the limits are if you don't get the endorsement or don't want the hassle of hauling hazmat. having a hazmat endorsement got me some loads sometimes but the loads were always a pain.

The Hino was at the top of my list, but having been to the Freightliner, Kenworth, Hino, Peterbilt, and International dealers, I have to say I'm most likely to buy an International. The salesman at the International/Peterbilt dealer was the most helpful and knowledgeable, the International seems to have more options, like an extended cab and 4wd, plus different HP options. The Freightliner/Kenworth salesman could not grasp what my needs were or what I was looking for. The Hino salesman kind of had an attitude like he didn't need to sell me, that the Hino name sold itself, which is true to an extent but I like to be sold to. Not to mention the Hino has very limited options.

Brian

/ Starting to think about my next truck #29  
seems like your buis is fairly standard service truck work

so why not an off the shelf one of these

Service-Truck.jpg

with lube trailer
contact-lube-trailer.jpg

I hate service trucks. I prefer working out of a trailer, I got spoiled being at the race track and being able to have most everything with me all of the time. I like my triple bank toolbox, having a solvent tank, a hydraulic hose crimping machine, and tons of small parts in a much more organized nature than could ever be achieved out of a service truck.