Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is what I am thinking about for my next truck.

Starting to think about my next truck-pic_3351-jpg

Hino 338CT

I will be upgrading my trailer too since I have outgrown it already. For those that don't know. Right now I have a 2008 Ford F450 and a 28' gooseneck trailer that contains my mobile shop. I do on-site maintenance and repair for different businesses with construction and utility type equipment. Business has really taken off this year and I am asking a buddy of mine to come help me more and more often. The problem is my trailer isn't big enough for two people to work out of.

I will likely move up to a 40' with dual tandem axles and air brakes if I move up to this style truck. I will also add bulk oil tanks and dispensers along with some other upgrades. My biggest problem with my current trailer is not enough storage space and it is tough for two people to work out of one toolbox.

A little more background on my current truck. I bought it less than 2 years ago with 40k miles on it, it just turned 100k earlier this week. I could go spend another $40k on a used F450, $60k on a new one, either way they will be used up in 2-3 years or go buy a real truck that will last me 10 yrs. for $80k.
    Last edited by brain55; 02-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Very nice!
    You know, that new RAM 3500 should be rated to tow 30,000 lbs. That should be plenty for that 40ft mobile shop. ;-)
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/01...30000-lbs.html
    Those GMC Kodiak trucks are nice for those big trailers too!
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

For towing that type of load you are doing the smart thing. No way any of the big three can stand up.

Getting a chassis with a tranny to match is the key.

Chris

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Starting to think about my next truck

Will you have/need 4x4 (I guess 6x6 actually unless you run super singles) for this truck?

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Silver Member
    Well... permanent adresses is Bonaventure, Eastern Quebec, Canada
    Tractor
    White LT 18hp B&S old beater

Do you need a 4x4? International is making a nice 4x4 hauler

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/featur...k/viewall.html
    Life is Highway. One day, I will retired at home.

I'd like to have 4wd but the direction my business has gone I can get by without it, I hope!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by brain55 View Post
    I'd like to have 4wd but the direction my business has gone I can get by without it, I hope!
    If not, you can always tow yourself out with the machine you just fixed right?

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    For towing that type of load you are doing the smart thing. No way any of the big three can stand up.

Getting a chassis with a tranny to match is the key.

Chris
    Considering my current trailer with everything in it weighs 17k lbs I'm guessing moving up to the bigger trailer it could weigh in the 25k lb range.

Tractor
    04/4310

I have read a lot of your threads/posts and I think you are going in the right direction. It just makes sense. Sure your current setup works but that is a lot of weight and abuse. I think going bigger with a more commercial machine will save money in the long run. We have had great luck with our Hino's, plus they stand behind them. 5 year 250,000 mile on drivetrain and emissions. When they were having injector problems they extended it to 5 year unlimited miles on the effected models. Who else does that? Plus we are averaging 9 mpg on 20 foot reefer box trucks that gets overloaded regularly. Whatever you decide good luck!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    CT235

Our 4400 series IH gets the same fuel economy as our old F550 for what it's worth. Biggest benefit in going up in chassis size are the brakes and visibility. Plus it has a smaller turning radius than the smaller truck. Make sure you check into yearly fees and mandatory inspections whichever way you go.
    Tim.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast