2014 Toyota Tundra first look

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #12  
Yeah they have been some interesting rumors here about the Titan. Quad steer I have not heard though. I think it will be a great market no matter what flavor you choose. I like the tundra, but the frame is my BIG hang up. I like welds, make me all warm and fuzzy.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #13  
Excuse my ignorance, are you referring to hydroforming and/or corrosion issues? I previously owned a tacoma and a precursor, and my dad owns a '10 tundra. I have a '06 titan

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #14  
Looks good. Particularly the interior.

But where is the diesel? In the light of "ecoboost" a high mpg diesel that still gave good mileage when towing (unlike the ecoboost) would be a huge seller. And what about a 3/4 Ton?

All and all, not a bad looking rig, but Toyota missed the chance to make a game changer.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #15  
Looks good. Particularly the interior.

But where is the diesel? In the light of "ecoboost" a high mpg diesel that still gave good mileage when towing (unlike the ecoboost) would be a huge seller. And what about a 3/4 Ton?

All and all, not a bad looking rig, but Toyota missed the chance to make a game changer.

Not sure where you get the Eco Boost does not do good towing. I did a comparison a year ago againstbmy fathers 4x4 eco 3.73 gears and my 4x4 Titan. Its on this site. The Eco got something like nearly 13mpg versus my 9mpg pulling identical tandem enclosed box trailers over 200 miles.

Chris

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #16  
Excuse my ignorance, are you referring to hydroforming and/or corrosion issues? I previously owned a tacoma and a precursor, and my dad owns a '10 tundra. I have a '06 titan

I just can't get my head wrapped around the whole triple tech frame. I like hydro formed, channels and full box. I like welds, not very fond of Toyota use of riveted sections to weld sections. I just think of things I see bolted and then welded. Do one or the other no need for both, shows lack of confidence in workmanship. May be the best thing since sliced bread, I just cannot see an advantage to the user. It did pull a space shuttle, and that's pretty cool. I think that all in all there is not a bad truck on the market.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #17  
Thanks Reyer, i didn't realize.

"Toyota created something called a Triple Tech frame, which incorporates three unique sections. The front third is boxed for strength to carry the engine and provide frontal crash protection. The middle, where the cabin sits, is a rolled C-channel with top and bottom flanged reinforcements for strength but also to provide better ride comfort. The rear section is an open C-channel for maximum bending resistance and strength to carry heavy loads."

Why is an open C channel more bend resistant than box?

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #18  
Luckily I wasn't expecting much from Toyota, with the millions they're spending in recalls, no wonder they can't afford a new design.
Not sure where you get the Eco Boost does not do good towing. I did a comparison a year ago againstbmy fathers 4x4 eco 3.73 gears and my 4x4 Titan. Its on this site. The Eco got something like nearly 13mpg versus my 9mpg pulling identical tandem enclosed box trailers over 200 miles.
Chris
Try comparing it to a truck that gets more than 14mpg empty. :laughing:
The Ecoboost gets better fuel mileage than the weakest and most thirsty V8 truck engine on the market. Congratulations! :laughing:

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #19  
Beats me! Seems rolled channel would be easy to run out to the end???

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #20  
My Titan gets 18mpg unloaded on long runs, ~12mpg pulling ~8000#cargo hauler 5000miles (based on Scangauge and fuel receipts)

The Ecoboost looks good to me- not sure the long term service will be good though.