2014 Toyota Tundra first look

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #21  
I'm still surprised this has not progressed a lot more. GM had it some years back, but in never really went anywhere. Really thought by now Ford/GM/RAM/Toy/Datsun would have done more. If you look at the size of trucks, and the volume, vs the average parking space, you'd think it would come standard on all full size trucks.

Quad steer I have not heard though.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #22  
Toyota has definitely gone down hill in my opinion. I have owned Toyotas since 1981 and have loved them all until we got this '10 Tacoma. That is absolutely THE most uncomfortable truck I have ever driven. The ergonomics are not anywhere near what they used to be. I honestly think that might be my last Toyota. If Toyota would come up with something as comfortable, dependable and powerful as my GMC Duramax that I use for my business I might rethink that.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #23  
I have a 2007 Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7. The "new" 2014 is no more than a a styling change. They should have improved the frame and gone to direct injection for more power and better mileage. The triple tech frame is not strong enough, they should have a complete boxed frame.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #24  
I'm still surprised this has not progressed a lot more. GM had it some years back, but in never really went anywhere. .

GM never put it on CrewCab longbox trucks, kinda where you would think you would really need. I think it was 2500 Suburbans and Extended Cab Shortbed trucks.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #25  
Have to agree with Diamondpilot! I am not impressed at all. I had a 07 Tundra and it was a decent truck but I just didn't "love it" - Had a few problems, pulled ok but not great, gas mileage was alright but not as good as I would have expected with a 6 speed, things like that. I ended up getting rid of it and don't regret my decision at all. I was wondering how I would feel leaving Toyota when the new Tundra's came out but now I am GLAD I went with one of the Big 3.

I like the Tundra but am not impressed. The old truck was ok but had a few short comings. They had a chacnce to really do something here with the chassis and motors. I guess they are trying to be like GM now that they took over that #1 sales spot and just keep doing the same old thing. Just look at the press release on the next model.

My hats off to Ford and Dodge for having the guts to try new things and actually improve what they already have.

I expected more from Toyota.

Chris

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #26  
Luckily I wasn't expecting much from Toyota, with the millions they're spending in recalls, no wonder they can't afford a new design.

Try comparing it to a truck that gets more than 14mpg empty. :laughing:
The Ecoboost gets better fuel mileage than the weakest and most thirsty V8 truck engine on the market. Congratulations! :laughing:

I have said it before and I will say it again, I will put my Titan up against any 1/2 ton towing. I have had a Hemi Dodge and a few 5.4L Fords and run on trips with as many as 20 vehicle's pulling boats from 7,000# to 10,000# and in every senerio it will meet or beat the competition.

As for mpg I get 13 around town and 16.5 on the highway. Way better than my Hemi gettin 8 and 12.

Chris

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #27  
As for mpg I get 13 around town and 16.5 on the highway. Way better than my Hemi gettin 8 and 12.

Chris
Your heavier 3/4 ton HEMI with much shorter gearing, heavier stronger axles and drivetrain, and larger tires, brakes and more unsprung weight?
Wow, great comparison.
Compared to trucks in it's class the Titan still is the weakest and least fuel efficient. Comparing it to a 3/4 ton truck proves nothing. My 03 HEMI matches your Titans fuel mileage but with 30 more HP and a real backseat with four doors.
You can repeat your stories about passing all the other trucks uphill towing 10k pound boats while getting 18mpg but everyone knows they're just stories. When the trucks actually get tested against each other, the Titan always falls behind.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/09/30k-shootout-7-percent-grade-loaded-test.html

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #28  
Your heavier 3/4 ton HEMI with much shorter gearing, heavier stronger axles and drivetrain, and larger tires, brakes and more unsprung weight?
Wow, great comparison.
Compared to trucks in it's class the Titan still is the weakest and least fuel efficient. Comparing it to a 3/4 ton truck proves nothing. My 03 HEMI matches your Titans fuel mileage but with 30 more HP and a real backseat with four doors.
You can repeat your stories about passing all the other trucks uphill towing 10k pound boats while getting 18mpg but everyone knows they're just stories. When the trucks actually get tested against each other, the Titan always falls behind.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/09/30k-shootout-7-percent-grade-loaded-test.html

All the 2 wheel drive Titans have 2.94 gears and it still hung in there. Put some real gears behind it like the 3.36 in the Off Road package or the optional 4.10 gears like I have with the Dana 44 axles and re run that test.

Again, apples to apples.

Chris

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #29  
I like trucks. I even like the old junkie ones. I even like trucks without ac. Remember:

Without trucks we would not have tailgates. As sung by joe diffee.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #30  
I expected more from the redesigned Tundra, looks like all they did was put a new grille and hood on it.