2014 Toyota Tundra first look

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #31  
All the 2 wheel drive Titans have 2.94 gears and it still hung in there. Put some real gears behind it like the 3.36 in the Off Road package or the optional 4.10 gears like I have with the Dana 44 axles and re run that test.

Again, apples to apples.

Chris
It's all in the gearing! Let's actually look at the numbers and compare "apples-to-apples"...
ForumRunner_20130207_213106.png
You can clearly see Nissan uses much lower (numerically higher) gearing in their transmissions. It's not even 1.00:1 until 4th gear in a 5 speed tranny.
Even with a 3.55:1 vs Nissan's 2.94:1, the RAM still has taller gearing (numerically lower). So the Nissan had the advantage and still fell behind. True with 4.10's it would do better but you'd be in 5th gear by 30mph. : laughing:
If you want a source of info, it's in the story.
http://blogs.cars.com/files/specsonly6.pdf

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #32  
I expected more from the redesigned Tundra, looks like all they did was put a new grille and hood on it.

Kinda looks like a new ford grill a little. The body lines don't really fit with the nose???

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #33  
Looks like a minor refresh... Not a major overhaul. I like the original styling better. Refreshes are always tricky and rarely work IMHO.

I want Toyota to offer a diesel!!!!!!

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #34  
I want Toyota to offer a diesel!!!!!!
I'm sure Toyota would love to put in a Hino diesel but they all come with an Allison transmission and someone else already has that contract for US pickups. ;-)

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #35  
Dmace said:
I'm sure Toyota would love to put in a Hino diesel but they all come with an Allison transmission and someone else already has that contract for US pickups. ;-)

Toyota should have no problems. They offer diesels world wide!

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #37  
I remember several years ago the trick my truck show had a hino pickup. Guy had a hotshot rig and they gave him a hino replacement while they worked on his. Anyone else remember? Looked just like a tundra except for some rattle under the hood.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #38  
Not sure where you get the Eco Boost does not do good towing. I did a comparison a year ago againstbmy fathers 4x4 eco 3.73 gears and my 4x4 Titan. Its on this site. The Eco got something like nearly 13mpg versus my 9mpg pulling identical tandem enclosed box trailers over 200 miles.

Chris

Most of what Ive read re: ecoboost towing says the mileage drops drastically under load. 10-12 MPG towing vs. 20-22 unloaded. Considerable drop. My f150 with a 5.4 hardly drops any when towing. From 18, down to maybe 15-16.

Without screwing up this toyota thread too much, I'd argue that a non-ecoboost engine doesn't have to work so hard towing equaling better mileage.