Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64
  1. #51
    Super Member Scooby074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,043
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    Yes it's used in many vehicles but manufacturer contacts are very exclusive. Trust me, Ford and GM would jump at the chance to put a Cummins in their trucks vs an in house design but can't. RAM trucks have the contract for Aisin transmissions in Heavy Duty pickups, no way Toyota could do the same.
    Im sure the contract with Dodge addresses it, but dont think that if toyota WANTED it that they couldnt get it. Like I said, hino has a great engine/trans (aisin) package sold here now, with a completely different trans than whats offered in the Ram.I dont doubt that Dodge has exclusive rights to the AS69RC in their 3/4 and 1 tons. I do doubt however that the contract with ram states that "no other manufacturers can use Aisin brand trans in any vehicle", as we see Aisin in the lightest Hino, albeit in a different class.

    As I stated, toyota could get creative if they wanted to. Do some modifications to the Hino 155 chassis, slap a pickup body on it and call it good. Sell it as a Hino. Actually it might make even more sense to bring over a completely different chassis, one that is smaller and lighter, Toyota has a bunch of those in other markets under various brands.

    Look at the Toyota Dualy concept of a few years ago. Most of that truck is Tundra, Engine Hino, trans Eaton. That is always an option if Aisin is a no-go. Lots of options out there, where there is a will there is a way.

    Toyota would sell every one of these that they could make. The Hot shot guys would grab them up in a minute.

    -163_0802_02z-custom_toyota_tundra_hd-front_view-jpg

  2. #52
    Elite Member Dmace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,838
    Location
    Wakefield, NH
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    I do doubt however that the contract with ram states that "no other manufacturers can use Aisin brand trans in any vehicle", as we see Aisin in the lightest Hino, albeit in a different class.
    Like I said, I know it's in other vehicles and none of us can see the actual contracts but put yourself in the manufacturers shoes. There is no way I would NOT put it in writing that I had exclusive rights to the "AISIN" name for the full-size pickup class. A brand name like that is golden and RAM has a much larger market share in pickups (18% vs. 6% for Toyota).

    I guarantee you will not see another full-size pickup with the "AISIN" nameplate on it. Sure Toyota can use Aisin parts and call it what they want but the name is what sells. Kind of like Ford and Cummins, Ford uses the same Cummins 6.7l engine found in the RAM HD pickups but only in it's F-650 and F-750 because Chrysler has exclusive contracts for them in the class 3-5 HD pickups.

    I'd love to see Toyota jump in the HD truck market, their Tundra is pretty stout.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

  3. #53
    Platinum Member Paystar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    569
    Location
    Ontario, Canada

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby074 View Post
    Im sure the contract with Dodge addresses it, but dont think that if toyota WANTED it that they couldnt get it. Like I said, hino has a great engine/trans (aisin) package sold here now, with a completely different trans than whats offered in the Ram.I dont doubt that Dodge has exclusive rights to the AS69RC in their 3/4 and 1 tons. I do doubt however that the contract with ram states that "no other manufacturers can use Aisin brand trans in any vehicle", as we see Aisin in the lightest Hino, albeit in a different class.

    As I stated, toyota could get creative if they wanted to. Do some modifications to the Hino 155 chassis, slap a pickup body on it and call it good. Sell it as a Hino. Actually it might make even more sense to bring over a completely different chassis, one that is smaller and lighter, Toyota has a bunch of those in other markets under various brands.

    Look at the Toyota Dualy concept of a few years ago. Most of that truck is Tundra, Engine Hino, trans Eaton. That is always an option if Aisin is a no-go. Lots of options out there, where there is a will there is a way.

    Toyota would sell every one of these that they could make. The Hot shot guys would grab them up in a minute.

    -163_0802_02z-custom_toyota_tundra_hd-front_view-jpg
    I know I would buy one........Hino is one of the most reliable medium duty trucks you can buy. Never again will I waste my money on any truck made by the "big three."
    I know who is watching. Not too worried about it.

  4. #54
    Super Member crazyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,910
    Location
    Northern Vermont

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    A grill guard might actually make the front of the new Tundra look decent.

    I don't think Toyota sells enough Tundras to deal with trying to go after the 3/4 ton or diesel markets. Personally I think it's a mistake as just the RV market is ripe for higher end trucks to pull 5th wheel trailers.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

  5. #55
    Gold Member rockshaft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    260
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Tractor
    1026R

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    Funny that concept dually tundra has a grill guard very similar to the one i just built for my titan.

  6. #56
    Super Member Scooby074's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    6,043
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Tractor
    BX 25, ZD 326

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    Personally I think it's a mistake as just the RV market is ripe for higher end trucks to pull 5th wheel trailers.
    As do I. Between the RVers and the Horsey set, they could sell a lot of heavier pickups, many with the full load and leather. Lots of profit there. They even made a new super high end option package called 1794, in honour of the ranch in Texas where the truck plant was built. Tell me that isnt a direct shot at ford and the King Ranch . That makes me think that Toyota is aiming at that the high end trailer towing customer for sure. Now why not a 3/4 Ton, and why no diesel???Horsey types would lap those up in volume.

  7. #57
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    913
    Location
    Central Coast of CA
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1010

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    If I could figure a way to get past the CA smog rules I'd strongly consider upgrading my 4.7L '06 Tundra to the Cummins 4BT, spiced up a bit. The idea of 250+ HP and 450lb+ of torque is tempting. This state is forcing farmers to turn in tractors that do not meet tier 4 requirements for smog.

  8. #58
    Elite Member WilliamBos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,493
    Location
    Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    If I could figure a way to get past the CA smog rules I'd strongly consider upgrading my 4.7L '06 Tundra to the Cummins 4BT, spiced up a bit. The idea of 250+ HP and 450lb+ of torque is tempting. This state is forcing farmers to turn in tractors that do not meet tier 4 requirements for smog.
    Are they paying a fair price for those tractors?
    Thanks,

    Will


    I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

  9. #59
    Veteran Member RollingsFarms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,817
    Location
    South Carolina
    Tractor
    John Deere 5325 & John Deere 910A 22hp Kawasaki/54" deck

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBos View Post

    Are they paying a fair price for those tractors?
    Exactly. Ill sell all of mine but only at the price they are worth, not what the state says they're worth. Until then though ill just keep blowing smoke.


    John Deere 5325 MFWD

    John Deere 910A 54" 7-Iron PRO deck

  10. #60
    Elite Member WilliamBos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,493
    Location
    Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

    Default Re: 2014 Toyota Tundra first look

    Quote Originally Posted by RollingsFarms View Post
    Exactly. Ill sell all of mine but only at the price they are worth, not what the state says they're worth. Until then though ill just keep blowing smoke.
    I agree totally! The EPA is getting away with too much as it is. And what about the smaller fams that cannot afford to step into a brand new tractor? Leave the old iron alone.
    Thanks,

    Will


    I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 07 Toyota Tundra
    By kenmac in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-14-2012, 10:37 PM
  2. Help with buying Toyota Tundra or Tacoma?
    By sixdogs in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 05:42 PM
  3. toyota tundra daully
    By tractorman99 in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-10-2009, 04:17 PM
  4. opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs
    By escavader in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM
  5. Toyota Avalon for Toyota Tundra
    By bigpete in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.