New to forums, trying to get new tractor home

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #21  
I originally thought this was a lot of paranoid worrying. After all, I occassionally pull over 5000 lbs with my 6 cylinder Dakota. Then I looked it up and found the F150 Heritage with manual transmission is only rated to tow about 2000 lbs. How did that ever happen? :confused3:

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #22  
I've rented some fairly large tractors/bobcats/skidloaders, and if the dealer won't deliver or loan me a trailer big enough, I drive them home! My gas, his tires, oh well! As long as it's all rural, I'd drive.

But a dealer should deliver a NEW tractor.

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #23  
I originally thought this was a lot of paranoid worrying. After all, I occassionally pull over 5000 lbs with my 6 cylinder Dakota. Then I looked it up and found the F150 Heritage with manual transmission is only rated to tow about 2000 lbs. How did that ever happen? :confused3:
Not fair, your comparing an awesome Dodge truck to a Ford. : laughing:
Got to keep them Ford boys in line.

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #24  
i would have never guessed the the tow rating on a v6 f150 was that low. we used to tow a jeep/atvs/boats around all the time with the one my buddy used to have when we were kids. now that i know that we were probably over that 95% of the time.

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #25  
i would have never guessed the the tow rating on a v6 f150 was that low. we used to tow a jeep/atvs/boats around all the time with the one my buddy used to have when we were kids. now that i know that we were probably over that 95% of the time.

Its not the fact its a V6, its the fact its a stick with small gears.

That era V6 truck from Ford had a rating around 6,500# with a auto and proper gears behind it with the 4.2L V6.

Chris

Last edited:
   / New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #26  
i drove my tractor home 50 miles wasn't bad at all.

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #28  
The five speed is a Mazda transmission that was also put in the B trucks and Rangers. I always felt that it made my 97 F150 more sporty and at least got that wimpy V6 to move. But it's fragile. Syncro's would strip if worked hard. Also the clutch disk is fairly small and will burn out if you tow way over the limit.

I traded that truck for a 2001 with an automatic due to engine trouble. It had the intake gasket leaks and began to see evidence of coolant in oil as well as burning it. The dealer wouldn't fix it (under warranty) until I threatened to drive it through the showroom. Instead of fixing it, they offered to give me a good trade and did.

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #29  
How long did it take? Did you go down US40 or take the backroads?

Chris
i live in wisconsin but took my time think it was about 2.5-3 hours stop for gas.yes i took all back roads.

/ New to forums, trying to get new tractor home #30  
i live in wisconsin but took my time think it was about 2.5-3 hours stop for gas.yes i took all back roads.

I am sorry. I thought you were the original poster.

Chris