Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #141  
Soundguy said:
14 shows here...

Somewhere there is a setting where you can choose how many post to fit on a page. Since there are different settings, participants will have different page numbers. The post numbers should be the same, even though they are not present on my phone.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #142  
I will try to get things back on target by posing a question.

Who here would choose this new diesel option over the hemi if the added cost is indeed $2300 and it got 27 mpg highway and towing capacities are equal?

Trying to keep things simple and posing the question with only these two options. No other makes or engines in this discussion.

Feel free to give the reason why you choose your choice.

I'd pay a premium to buy a diesel over a gasser. any year, make or model....

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #143  
Somewhere there is a setting where you can choose how many post to fit on a page. Since there are different settings, participants will have different page numbers. The post numbers should be the same, even though they are not present on my phone.

judging from what I see.. my guess is mine is set to 10

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #144  
Soundguy said:
judging from what I see.. my guess is mine is set to 10

Like Aaron Z said, I think you can choose up to 40. I think that's what mine is set at.

Through your TBN home page, I think.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #145  
I will try to get things back on target by posing a question.

Who here would choose this new diesel option over the hemi if the added cost is indeed $2300 and it got 27 mpg highway and towing capacities are equal?

Trying to keep things simple and posing the question with only these two options. No other makes or engines in this discussion.

Feel free to give the reason why you choose your choice.

I will start by saying I would have to drive them both first because financially it is a toss up. If the hemi gets 21 mpg, in 100,000 miles, I am calculating a fuel savings of about $1800. This assumes $3.50 gasoline and $4.02 diesel (15% difference). That $500 extra and the additionally maintenance cost would probably be gotten back in resale value.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #146  
I'd pay a premium to buy a diesel over a gasser. any year, make or model....
It would depend on the mileage difference for me. Assuming gas at $3.90 (where it seems to hover around here) and diesel at $4.2 (where I keep seeing it) 9MPG from our '97 1500 with the 318 vs 25 MPG from a diesel is a difference in fuel costs of ~$530/year (assuming the normal sub 2000 miles/year that we have been doing). With the need to run hard to clean out the DPF, I dont know that it would be worth it.
Comparing other vehicles (ie: if they put this engine into a Durango), a gas Durango would get ~16 MPG (from what I hear of friends who have them). If a diesel Durango got 25 combined for our driving, it would save $757/year over a gas one. Compared to the wife's Caravan which gets 19 MPG, the Diesel Durango would only save $372.
Would I buy one new? No, but in 5-7 years on the used market? I would look very hard at one.

Aaron Z

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #147  
If it were $3500 more or less I would consider it if the thing could get 35% better economy.

What I would look at is a lease and the residual value at the end of say a 24 or 36 month lease. This is a good indicator of resale. Not to mention, if like many Ford leases, you can usually lease then buy at the end for 10% off sticker total cost (lease plus buy out) on premium trim lines. That would be a safe bet so that you are not left holding a pos with issues and no resale like the diesel Jeeps.

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #148  
Where did I say I "hated" them?
Brakes? your observation is irrelevant because both trucks towed heavy loads, but the GM brakes last longer. Also the Fords would sometimes warp their rotors. Didnt happen with GM.
Sales figures mean nothing to me. If they were so important than Walmart would be the best retail chain in the world, but it's not.
BTW: Who said they were the "worst truck"??? Not me. I like my Fords, they just cost more money to run than GM in my businesses.

I'm just a commercial hay farmer and hay shipper going to battle every week running Ford & GM diesel trucks side by side through tough conditions, but what do I know...lol
Dont take this so personally when someone sees things differently than you. ;)

You sure do act like you hate them. You are one of the first ones to jump on the ford bashing ban wagon. You never have anything good to say about a Ford.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #149  
It would depend on the mileage difference for me. Assuming gas at $3.90 (where it seems to hover around here) and diesel at $4.2 (where I keep seeing it) 9MPG from our '97 1500 with the 318 vs 25 MPG from a diesel is a difference in fuel costs of ~$530/year (assuming the normal sub 2000 miles/year that we have been doing). With the need to run hard to clean out the DPF, I dont know that it would be worth it.
Comparing other vehicles (ie: if they put this engine into a Durango), a gas Durango would get ~16 MPG (from what I hear of friends who have them). If a diesel Durango got 25 combined for our driving, it would save $757/year over a gas one. Compared to the wife's Caravan which gets 19 MPG, the Diesel Durango would only save $372.
Would I buy one new? No, but in 5-7 years on the used market? I would look very hard at one.

Aaron Z

Am I mistaken in understanding that the 2013 1500 ram gasser gets 25mpg? All of the 2012's, regardless of engine got 20mpg. The redesigned pentastar ram 1500, with 8 speed trans is supposed to get 25mpg, using gasoline. Right?

If I'm right, there is no advantage to the diesel, regarding fuel economy, if as previously stated by others, the diesel gets 25mpg.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #150  
Getting back on topic I am not sure a diesel will be worth it in a half ton. I can't see a diesel 1/2 ton getting that much better mileage to justify the extra cost.