Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Default Re: Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    Am I mistaken in understanding that the 2013 1500 ram gasser gets 25mpg? All of the 2012's, regardless of engine got 20mpg. The redesigned pentastar ram 1500, with 8 speed trans is supposed to get 25mpg, using gasoline. Right?

If I'm right, there is no advantage to the diesel.
    Maybe a hair more power.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Tractor
    New Holland T5070

Ok, anyone who sees a 'credit line just in case', and then a 'loan to retool' as any different than a bailout to be repaid, is fooling themselves...

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/for...n-on-bailouts/

Why the he|| would I, as a taxpayer, pay for ford to retool? (If bailouts are bad, me paying for them to catch up is bad)

Get off your soap boxes, I've owned too many vehicles of all of the major players to be swayed by your rhetoric... Drop the bailout $h|t, buy what your hard earned money leads you to buy. If you lean towards Dodge, good for you... Chevy, go for it... Ford, enjoy...
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -
    Benjamin Franklin

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
    -Winston Churchill

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    Maybe a hair more power.
    I know the pentastar is 305hp in the 1500 ram, I do not know the torque.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke*

“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” Ancient of Days

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37aM75LaEDk&list=PLGLwt3_lSbxxRtjMLHJDpqEK 9vcq9IfsJ

t

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Am I mistaken in understanding that the 2013 1500 ram gasser gets 25mpg? All of the 2012's, regardless of engine got 20mpg. The redesigned pentastar ram 1500, with 8 speed trans is supposed to get 25mpg, using gasoline. Right?
    If I'm right, there is no advantage to the diesel, regarding fuel economy, if as previously stated by others, the diesel gets 25mpg.
    Hadn't seen that. In that case, @2000 miles/year it would be $54 cheaper for the diesel fuel. @10k miles/year it would be $1016 cheaper for diesel fuel.
    Note that those numbers are just fuel don't count maintenance or resale cost differences (ie: a diesel will probbaly have higher maintenance and resale prices).

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    — Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

I know the pentastar is 305hp in the 1500 ram, I do not know the torque.
    I think it it 269fltbs.
    Roger

Kubota BX2360 & Kubota L4240 with paddle shifter, suicide doors and 24's
    Past Stuff: Ford 8N, Cub Cadet 2206, Bobcat CT235

My Threads

EA Wicked Grapple Build - 3PH Pallet Mover - Harbor Freight QH Mods - L4240 Upgrades - BX2360 Upgrades- How Add a Switch to a Worklight

My YouTube Channel

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

If I'm right, there is no advantage to the diesel, regarding fuel economy, if as previously stated by others, the diesel gets 25mpg.
    The hemi with the 8-speed numbers are not yet published. I was guessing at 21 mpg. The Pentar motor it the claimed 25 mpg.

Tractor
    case ih farmall 55a

I guess it comes down to let's hope they build it and we will see how good it dose! If they make it two years then we know its not any good! Who knows 10 years from now all our 1/2 tons might be offered in a diesel! Only time will tell!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Hadn't seen that. In that case, @2000 miles/year it would be $54 cheaper for the diesel fuel. @10k miles/year it would be $1016 cheaper for diesel fuel.
    Note that those numbers are just fuel don't count maintenance or resale cost differences (ie: a diesel will probbaly have higher maintenance and resale prices).

Aaron Z
    Around here this winter, there have been days when diesel was 80cents more per gallon than gasoline. I'm having a hard time understanding where there is the remotest chance to save money with the diesel version.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke*

“If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” Ancient of Days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37aM75LaEDk&list=PLGLwt3_lSbxxRtjMLHJDpqEK 9vcq9IfsJ

t

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Around here this winter, there have been days when diesel was 80cents more per gallon than gasoline. I'm having a hard time understanding where there is the remotest chance to save money with the diesel version.
    I see three target markets:
    1. Those who have more money than sense, want a diesel and dont care about the cost
    2. Those who will be towing heavy (for a half ton) and want better mileage than a gas engine gives (assuming that it gets say 19MPG towing heavy vs 10MPG for the gas engine). Some examples might be the RV crowd, landscapers, etc
    3. Those who run a business (ie: a farm, trucking or construction company, quarry, etc) where everything else runs on diesel and want to eliminate the need for a 2nd set of fuel tanks to refuel light pickups

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    — Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra Max28XL HST

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    I see three target markets:
    1. Those who have more money than sense, want a diesel and dont care about the cost
    2. Those who will be towing heavy (for a half ton) and want better mileage than a gas engine gives (assuming that it gets say 19MPG towing heavy vs 10MPG for the gas engine). Some examples might be the RV crowd, landscapers, etc
    3. Those who run a business (ie: a farm, trucking or construction company, quarry, etc) where everything else runs on diesel and want to eliminate the need for a 2nd set of fuel tanks to refuel light pickups

Aaron Z
    Interesting viewpoint. I can see point 1 is humorous, and 3 is plausible. On point 2, do you really think the difference is that great in half ton towing for the two fuels? I don't know the answer, I just wouldn't have thought it was that great. Maybe it is.

t

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast