Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #151  
Am I mistaken in understanding that the 2013 1500 ram gasser gets 25mpg? All of the 2012's, regardless of engine got 20mpg. The redesigned pentastar ram 1500, with 8 speed trans is supposed to get 25mpg, using gasoline. Right?

If I'm right, there is no advantage to the diesel.

Maybe a hair more power.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #152  
Ok, anyone who sees a 'credit line just in case', and then a 'loan to retool' as any different than a bailout to be repaid, is fooling themselves...

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/09/ford-motor-co-does-u-turn-on-bailouts/

Why the he|| would I, as a taxpayer, pay for ford to retool? (If bailouts are bad, me paying for them to catch up is bad)

Get off your soap boxes, I've owned too many vehicles of all of the major players to be swayed by your rhetoric... Drop the bailout $h|t, buy what your hard earned money leads you to buy. If you lean towards Dodge, good for you... Chevy, go for it... Ford, enjoy...

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #154  
Am I mistaken in understanding that the 2013 1500 ram gasser gets 25mpg? All of the 2012's, regardless of engine got 20mpg. The redesigned pentastar ram 1500, with 8 speed trans is supposed to get 25mpg, using gasoline. Right?
If I'm right, there is no advantage to the diesel, regarding fuel economy, if as previously stated by others, the diesel gets 25mpg.
Hadn't seen that. In that case, @2000 miles/year it would be $54 cheaper for the diesel fuel. @10k miles/year it would be $1016 cheaper for diesel fuel.
Note that those numbers are just fuel don't count maintenance or resale cost differences (ie: a diesel will probbaly have higher maintenance and resale prices).

Aaron Z

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #156  

If I'm right, there is no advantage to the diesel, regarding fuel economy, if as previously stated by others, the diesel gets 25mpg.

The hemi with the 8-speed numbers are not yet published. I was guessing at 21 mpg. The Pentar motor it the claimed 25 mpg.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #157  
I guess it comes down to let's hope they build it and we will see how good it dose! If they make it two years then we know its not any good! Who knows 10 years from now all our 1/2 tons might be offered in a diesel! Only time will tell!

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #158  
Hadn't seen that. In that case, @2000 miles/year it would be $54 cheaper for the diesel fuel. @10k miles/year it would be $1016 cheaper for diesel fuel.
Note that those numbers are just fuel don't count maintenance or resale cost differences (ie: a diesel will probbaly have higher maintenance and resale prices).

Aaron Z

Around here this winter, there have been days when diesel was 80cents more per gallon than gasoline. I'm having a hard time understanding where there is the remotest chance to save money with the diesel version.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #159  
Around here this winter, there have been days when diesel was 80cents more per gallon than gasoline. I'm having a hard time understanding where there is the remotest chance to save money with the diesel version.
I see three target markets:
1. Those who have more money than sense, want a diesel and dont care about the cost
2. Those who will be towing heavy (for a half ton) and want better mileage than a gas engine gives (assuming that it gets say 19MPG towing heavy vs 10MPG for the gas engine). Some examples might be the RV crowd, landscapers, etc
3. Those who run a business (ie: a farm, trucking or construction company, quarry, etc) where everything else runs on diesel and want to eliminate the need for a 2nd set of fuel tanks to refuel light pickups

Aaron Z

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #160  
I see three target markets:
1. Those who have more money than sense, want a diesel and dont care about the cost
2. Those who will be towing heavy (for a half ton) and want better mileage than a gas engine gives (assuming that it gets say 19MPG towing heavy vs 10MPG for the gas engine). Some examples might be the RV crowd, landscapers, etc
3. Those who run a business (ie: a farm, trucking or construction company, quarry, etc) where everything else runs on diesel and want to eliminate the need for a 2nd set of fuel tanks to refuel light pickups

Aaron Z

Interesting viewpoint. I can see point 1 is humorous, and 3 is plausible. On point 2, do you really think the difference is that great in half ton towing for the two fuels? I don't know the answer, I just wouldn't have thought it was that great. Maybe it is.