Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #181  
Diesels almost always lose less MPG loaded than gas.

They have the ability to pull a lower RPM under heavy load.

Last edited:
   / Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #182  
No matter gas or diesel you put 75% the tow capacity behind a truck you are going to get roughly 1/2 the unloaded mpg.
If you think this is true for diesel, you're the one in "law law land". :laughing:
Unless your assuming 75% of the diesel's tow capacity is much higher than the gas trucks tow capacity...
In the same truck with the same load, the diesel will ALWAYS get better fuel mileage.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #183  
It will be interesting comparing the torque curves of these two engines. Both make 420 ft/lbs are low rpms.
The difference is the Ecoboost does it by jamming a ton of air as well as a ton of fuel in at the same time whereas the diesel does it naturally without stressing the engine nearly as much. In the same sense though, that diesel will run out of stream quickly like the Ecoboost when the rpms climb which is where a big block gasser continues to shine pulling nearly to redline.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #184  
The difference is the Ecoboost does it by jamming a ton of air as well as a ton of fuel in at the same time whereas the diesel does it naturally without stressing the engine nearly as much.
Huh? Care to explain that a little more?
Any diesel in a current production pickup is turbocharged just like the EB and turbo/superchargers work by stuffing air into the engine so that you get more air unto the cylinder which lets you put in more fuel and get more power.

Aaron Z

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #185  
If you think this is true for diesel, you're the one in "law law land". :laughing:
Unless your assuming 75% of the diesel's tow capacity is much higher than the gas trucks tow capacity...
In the same truck with the same load, the diesel will ALWAYS get better fuel mileage.

I guess this went over your head.

Lets say truck A is a diesel and its tow rating is 20,000#. Strap 15,000# behind it, 75% of its tow rating. You are going to see roughly 1/2 the unloaded mpg

Truck B is gas with a 10,000# tow rating. Throw 7,500# behind it, 75% of its max tow rating, and its mpg will be cut in 1/2 versus unloaded.

Same if you take my prior examples using my F350 & my Titan. I load both upto or a few #'s over and the decrease in mpg is about the same.

But what do I know, I only tow about 10,000 miles a year for the last 10 plus and 6,000 miles or more since 1986 with trucks of all brands and styles pulling over aprox 200 different trailers. Last year alone I towed nearly 75 different ones. Boats, campers, car haulers, GN Equipment, box trailer, you name it. I track every drop of fuel through all 3 of my current rigs and can figure operating cost to the penny.

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #186  
Sadly, I would expect just the opposite. I think that is why they are getting stricter currently, more diesels on the road means more pollution to worry about. When diesels weren't very common, they didn't seem to care about how much they polluted.

I just wish that "we" would adopt the euro diesel emission standards. Part of the reason we don't see more diesels is because of the engineering required to meet two distinct measurement standards.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #187  
aczlan said:
Huh? Care to explain that a little more?
Any diesel in a current production pickup is turbocharged just like the EB and turbo/superchargers work by stuffing air into the engine so that you get more air unto the cylinder which lets you put in more fuel and get more power.
A diesel naturally runs at high compression and with compression ignition vs spark ignition it can handle the higher compression and higher torque better, naturally. How many turbocharged gas engines do you see in those vehicles doing the heavy hauling? Ever wonder why? You seem to think there's no difference between a turbo-charged gas and turbo-charged diesel engine. There is!
Diamondpilot said:
I guess this went over your head.

Lets say truck A is a diesel and its tow rating is 20,000#. Strap 15,000# behind it, 75% of its tow rating. You are going to see roughly 1/2 the unloaded mpg

Truck B is gas with a 10,000# tow rating. Throw 7,500# behind it, 75% of its max tow rating, and its mpg will be cut in 1/2 versus unloaded.
As usual, your not reading replies correctly and quickly moving to insults vs facts!
I'm not "over my head" and your low amount of towing mileage doesn't make you an expert.
I said
Dmace said:
Now try and read that again!
Obviously the diesel will get less fuel mileage towing 15k lbs vs a gasser towing 7,500 but we're talking about the SAME truck with the SAME load. This is a DIRECT COMPARISON which we all know your not good at. Kind of like comparing a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 to a Ford Edge. :laughing: :laughing:

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #188  
A diesel naturally runs at high compression and with compression ignition vs spark ignition it can handle the higher compression and higher torque better, naturally. How many turbocharged gas engines do you see in those vehicles doing the heavy hauling? Ever wonder why? You seem to think there's no difference between a turbo-charged gas and turbo-charged diesel engine. There is!

As usual, your not reading replies correctly and quickly moving to insults vs facts!
I'm not "over my head" and your low amount of towing mileage doesn't make you an expert.
I said
Now try and read that again!
Obviously the diesel will get less fuel mileage towing 15k lbs vs a gasser towing 7,500 but we're talking about the SAME truck with the SAME load. This is a DIRECT COMPARISON which we all know your not good at. Kind of like comparing a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 to a Ford Edge. :laughing: :laughing:

I am plenty good at direct comparisons. You twist what I and everyone else says as usual. My 8 year old daughter is smart enough to know that a diesel and gas truck are not going to be rated the same so your point is mute other than if they were we would all agree the diesel would get more mpg but also cost much more at time of purchase. Its about operating cost overall, not saving $10 at the pump.

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #189  
Diamondpilot said:
You twist what I and everyone else says as usual. My 8 year old daughter is smart enough to know that a diesel and gas truck are not going to be rated the same so your point is mute
Your 8 year old daugter doesn't know there's a 1/2 ton truck whose gas and diesel engines should have roughly the same tow capacity. There are no numbers out yet but the Jeep with the same two engines as the same tow capacity so the truck should be close.
Diamondpilot said:
No matter gas or diesel you put 75% the tow capacity behind a truck you are going to get roughly 1/2 the unloaded mpg.
No ones "twisting" what you said. We are talking about a RAM 1500 here with a gas and diesel engine option. Same truck - Different engine!
No one asked for your comparison of a 1-ton diesel and 1/2-ton gas truck which is not even CLOSE to a direct comparison...

Do you agree that in the SAME TRUCK with nothing different other than comparative gas and diesel engines, that the diesel will get better fuel mileage?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #190  
So besides a 1/2 ton being a bit lighter, and riding better, this should be comparable basically to my '01 RAM2500, which has similar numbers(except 4spd auto... ).

Wonder what the feel of that V6 will be like compared to the straight-6?

Without starting a big bruhaha like 14 or so pages here so far, my personal taste is for the inline motors,whether my pickup, or the Fire Apparatus I have driven..

I so called this a while ago!
Here's a better link: It's Official: Ram 1500 to Get V-6 EcoDiesel - PickupTrucks.com News

Same diesel in the new Jeep GC - V6 3.0l 240 HP / 420 lb.ft TQ

This truck in reg cab 2wd form and with the 8-speed tranny will easily surpass 25 mpg and push 30 mpg like the Jeep.