Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX23 & RTV1100

Default Re: Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

Ok...If I can get a diesel in a 1/2 ton that can pull equally or better than my GMC 6.2 gasser and get 20% or more in fuel economy and not requre a diesel mechanic to maintain I'd be all over it. $3,000 premium would work out very well for me....I don't forcast cost of use--Math is hard, and I don't really care.
    BX23TLB & RTV1100 with 72" Power Angle Plow

Ain't nobody interested in "Boost" ?
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN
    Without starting a big bruhaha like 14 or so pages here so far, my personal taste is for the inline motors,whether my pickup, or the Fire Apparatus I have driven..
    I agree, my previous trucks with inline engines were some of my favorites, Gas and Diesel.
    From an inline 5 3.7l in our little GMC Canyons (pepping little engine) to my old (believe it or not) 85 Ford Bronco inline 6 4.9l (300 cu in) and of course the greatest diesel engines ever put in a pickup. Cummins 5.9l and 6.7l.
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    John Deere 770, Bobcat 753

Aaron, I think there might be another catalogue of buyers interested in this truck.

4. Contractors and consultants ( like myself) who may not tow much or often, but often have a mild load of tools and supplies and travel LOTS of miles per year. Those of us that go 30-50k per year would like to squeeze every mpg, even with the price difference in fuel. Even the time saved from the less frequent fill-ups would be nice.

BTW- I've seen a statement in almost every "Is diesel better that gas" thread that reads something like: " I wish the manufactures would offer a diesel with reasonable power and decent mileage instead of these horsepower wars". I know I've said that.

I could see myself buying this truck in a few years as my DD. It's hard to do now as I have a 2012, but in a few years I'll be poised to buy a truck just like this.
    I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it. ~ Groucho Marx

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    So besides a 1/2 ton being a bit lighter, and riding better, this should be comparable basically to my '01 RAM2500, which has similar numbers(except 4spd auto... ).

Wonder what the feel of that V6 will be like compared to the straight-6?

Without starting a big bruhaha like 14 or so pages here so far, my personal taste is for the inline motors,whether my pickup, or the Fire Apparatus I have driven..
    I also prefer inline engines. Generally smoother in operation and tend to develop more grunt. Also here's some food for thought...

An inline 6 is likely to have 7 mains to spread the load. Like a Cummins. A V8 like Ford and GM use has 5 mains. And they are generally much smaller. A V6 like mentioned in this thread likely only has 4 mains.
    Kubota MX5100
    '95 Ram 2500 CTD
    Stihl MS441 ported
    Stihl MS280 ported

Tractor
    Kubota B7800

Come on guys... These are only trucks we are talking about. It's not like it's you ex-wife!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2008 JD 2320

The funny thing for me is that the operating cost was really no different than a gas engine.

Went 16K KMS on oil changes with the proper synthetic oil, changed a few fuel and air filters over the 115K i had it. It was under warranty for the first 100K but that didn't matter as I had basically 0 problems.

This was my point on my Jeep CRD, it didn't require extra maint or really any other additional costs as I think the diesel option in the RAM 1500 will be the same. Good fuel economy with towing capability, not like the 3/4 tons with the HP and Tq war at the expense of economy.

Anyway, I know the diesel option will not be for everyone but it will be for me.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    My thinking was that the higher resale value would pretty much be used up by the diesel premium and higher maintenance costs.

Aaron Z
    2008 John Deere 2320 / CX200 Loader / SB1154 Rear Blower / RB2072 72" Rear Blade
    (Sold) 08 Kubota BX25 /54" MMM / 48" LP BB/ Bro-Tek skid plates / Bro-Tek Thumb/

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2008 JD 2320

I totally agree on the inline 6 and smoothness.

BMW has the I6 in the 3 series and you can't get any smoother. My Jeep CRD was obvious a V6 as it had some typical mid RPM NVH due to the nature of a v6.

I also have a Volvo XC60 T6 that is an inline 6, again smooth.....

I personally love the inline 6 configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
    I also prefer inline engines. Generally smoother in operation and tend to develop more grunt. Also here's some food for thought...

An inline 6 is likely to have 7 mains to spread the load. Like a Cummins. A V8 like Ford and GM use has 5 mains. And they are generally much smaller. A V6 like mentioned in this thread likely only has 4 mains.
    2008 John Deere 2320 / CX200 Loader / SB1154 Rear Blower / RB2072 72" Rear Blade
    (Sold) 08 Kubota BX25 /54" MMM / 48" LP BB/ Bro-Tek skid plates / Bro-Tek Thumb/

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    Would I buy one new? No, but in 5-7 years on the used market? I would look very hard at one.

Aaron Z
    same here.. used.. etc..

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by crashz View Post
    Aaron, I think there might be another catalogue of buyers interested in this truck.
    4. Contractors and consultants ( like myself) who may not tow much or often, but often have a mild load of tools and supplies and travel LOTS of miles per year. Those of us that go 30-50k per year would like to squeeze every mpg, even with the price difference in fuel. Even the time saved from the less frequent fill-ups would be nice.
    BTW- I've seen a statement in almost every "Is diesel better that gas" thread that reads something like: " I wish the manufactures would offer a diesel with reasonable power and decent mileage instead of these horsepower wars". I know I've said that.
    I could see myself buying this truck in a few years as my DD. It's hard to do now as I have a 2012, but in a few years I'll be poised to buy a truck just like this.
    Good point. I could see picking one up in a Durango a few years down the road. Hope they put them in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by MacTractor View Post
    The funny thing for me is that the operating cost was really no different than a gas engine.
    Went 16K KMS on oil changes with the proper synthetic oil, changed a few fuel and air filters over the 115K i had it. It was under warranty for the first 100K but that didn't matter as I had basically 0 problems.
    This was my point on my Jeep CRD, it didn't require extra maint or really any other additional costs as I think the diesel option in the RAM 1500 will be the same. Good fuel economy with towing capability, not like the 3/4 tons with the HP and Tq war at the expense of economy.
    The main difference (in the 3/4 or 1 ton trucks) is in oil used (16 quarts vs 6-7), oil filter size and DPF or other emissions related stuff (EGR cooler?)

Quote Originally Posted by MacTractor View Post
    I totally agree on the inline 6 and smoothness.
    BMW has the I6 in the 3 series and you can't get any smoother. My Jeep CRD was obvious a V6 as it had some typical mid RPM NVH due to the nature of a v6.
    I also have a Volvo XC60 T6 that is an inline 6, again smooth.....
    I personally love the inline 6 configuration.
    I have one in my Volvo V90 and love it.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast