Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #211  
Well I do know a thing or two about engines and engine design. While I has less experience with diesels as an aircraft mechanic, I have some knowledge of their operation. Please explain why a Diesel engine is built much heavier than an equivalent gas engine. The higher compression adds a lot of stress is the reason. The ecoboost with direct injection allow the computer to control the timing of injection of the fuel and alter the burn cycle and the stresses of the explosion. That is how they get away using 87 octane pump gas without preignition.

Yes, I know you would like for them to tune a little more torque to be able to say they have the best torque. As mentioned, the 2013 ecoboost has compressors that are 3 mm larger. The current injectors are good for 500 HP. Simply tune to the computer and achieve more output.

There are guys running 12's in 1/4 mile with Ecoboost F-150's with just basic bolt on's.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #213  
47 mpg vs a 34 mpg gas version and it's still not worth the diesel price premium?
Gee, you seem to have a neighbor for every vehicle we speak of. :rolleyes:
Let's test that theory.
I think the 1961 Ferrari 250GT Spyder gets better fuel mileage than the 1931 Bugatti Royale Kellner Coupe, any neighbors wanna chime in...? :laughing:

Same neighbor. I maintain all his equipment for the last 10 years. Fleet of ZTR's, 2 dump trucks, plow truck, personal truck and car, Case BH and Dozer, two boats, and a half dozen trailers.

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #214  
Same neighbor. I maintain all his equipment for the last 10 years. Fleet of ZTR's, 2 dump trucks, plow truck, personal truck and car, Case BH and Dozer, two boats, and a half dozen trailers.

Chris

I think having a good relationship with neighbors and BIL's is not a bad thing. Your personality must be decent to communications with many people. Jealousy maybe? Don't feel bad he was rude to me in his last post too.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #215  
jejeosborne said:
I think having a good relationship with neighbors and BIL's is not a bad thing. Your personality must be decent to communications with many people. Jealousy maybe? Don't feel bad he was rude to me in his last post too.
Wow, why don't you two hold hands and talk about Ford's in another thread. Save this one for discussion of the topic on hand...

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #216  
Wow, why don't you two hold hands and talk about Ford's in another thread. Save this one for discussion of the topic on hand...

Do you still think the gas motor undergoes more stress that the diesel? I expected you to respond to my post with respect rather than with this pointless behavior.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #217  
jejeosborne said:
Do you still think the gas motor undergoes more stress that the diesel? I expected you to respond to my post with respect.
Re-read my posts and you'll see I DO.
You want respect, learn how to read!

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #218  
Re-read my posts and you'll see I DO.
You want respect, learn how to read!

Simple question for you then. Why is a Diesel engine built with higher strength, heavier components then if they undergo less stresses?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #219  
jejeosborne said:
Simple question for you then. Why is a Diesel engine built with higher strength, heavier components then if they undergo less stresses?
One, longevity. Most diesel engines see twice the load and mileage.
Two, ever seen the internals of a high compression turbo-charged gas engine? That crank and rods will be pretty close in size to a small diesel and certainly larger than the NA gas versions internals.

Compared to a gas engine making the same power from nearly the same displacement, the internals will be nearly identical but the gas engine won't last nearly as long as there IS MORE STRESS.

Last edited:
   / Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #220  
Amazing how all these threads go the same direction.