Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #221  
One, longevity. Most diesel engines see twice the load and mileage.
Two, ever seen the internals of a high compression turbo-charged gas engine? That crank and rods will be pretty close in size to a small diesel and certainly larger than the NA gas versions internals.

Compared to a gas engine making the same power from nearly the same displacement, the internals will be nearly identical but the gas engine won't last nearly as long as there IS MORE STRESS.

Exactly, they are purpose built for the torque they make. So the turbo gas motors are built heavy duty just like the diesels motors with similar torque. Why did you argue this earlier then?

And yes, I have seen the inside of a turbo charged purpose built gas motor. Forged cranks, connecting rods, heavier bearing, etc.
built for the same stresses that the diesel sees.

The reason diesels last longer is because typically they run at lower rpm, run cooler, and the fuel has lubricating properties.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #222  
Amazing how all these threads go the same direction.

Kind of sad. It's also funny. I just read manufacturer's statement that contradict things said here when they talking about how and why they did something in their design of a new engine. But saying anything would just create another useless debate.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #223  
Exactly, they are purpose built for the torque they make. So the turbo gas motors are built heavy duty just like the diesels motors with similar torque. Why did you argue this earlier then?
I did not argue that they are not "built heavy duty". I said they are under MORE stress making the same TQ as a Diesel so they NEED to be built more heavy duty.
This RAM diesel may make the same amount of TQ as the Ecoboost but I guarantee it will last hundreds of thousands of miles longer. Diesels don't last longer ONLY because they're built heavier, it's also due to less internal stress due to the combustion process.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #224  
Kind of sad. It's also funny. I just read manufacturer's statement that contradict things said here when they talking about how and why they did something in their design of a new engine. But saying anything would just create another useless debate.
There's a common theme in all the ones that head in that direction. Want to guess what it is?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #225  
I did not argue that they are not "built heavy duty". I said they are under MORE stress making the same TQ as a Diesel so they NEED to be built more heavy duty.
This RAM diesel may make the same amount of TQ as the Ecoboost but I guarantee it will last hundreds of thousands of miles longer. Diesels don't last longer ONLY because they're built heavier, it's also due to less internal stress due to the combustion process.

WOW, "hundreds of thousands of miles" longer and with your guarantee. Where do I sign up?!!!! Lol

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #226  
Hay Dude said:
There's a common theme in all the ones that head in that direction. Want to guess what it is?

Aholes and ignorance? Seriously, I bet if these guys were standing in the same room with each other they would not speak to each other like that. Someone would get smacked in the mouth. The lack of respect these days is profound, as is the inability to ignore ignorance and rudeness. Now to the topic at hand, though I really have no need for a diesel motor in a truck, it is nice to see Ram take the plunge. It has been talked about endlessly for some time. I am interested to see how it performs in the long haul.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #227  
deerefan said:
I really have no need for a diesel motor in a truck
I keep saying that to myself as well but the more I think about the more I like it. Plain and simple proven design, real low end torque (not just above 2k rpms), good fuel mileage empty AS WELL as towing and that beautiful diesel sound.
Put all that in a quad cab 4x4 with the 8 speed auto with rear axle equivalent to the 6 speed with a 3.73 and top it off with the RAM box and a 11k lb tow capacity and you have my next truck.
I'm really loking forward to some real testing and reviews. 2015 will be year 10 in my current RAM and even though it will surely still be getting the job done, that will be a good time to replace it.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #228  
My first real driving experience with a European style passenger car diesel was a rented Hyundai Santa Fe we drove in Ireland back in 2008. I believe that was a small displacement V6. It was really smooth, powerful and very good on fuel. Very quiet too.

I'm imagining the new Ram, looking and feeling like the truck it is, but driving similarly to that Hyundai.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #229  
My first real driving experience with a European style passenger car diesel was a rented Hyundai Santa Fe we drove in Ireland back in 2008. I believe that was a small displacement V6. It was really smooth, powerful and very good on fuel. Very quiet too.
When I was in Argentina we had a Corolla with (IIRC) a 2.3L turbodiesel engine and a Kia Carnival (the same as the Sedona here) with a 2.9L turbodiesel engine. Loved driving both of them and I wish we could get them here.

Aaron Z

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #230  
Aholes and ignorance? Seriously, I bet if these guys were standing in the same room with each other they would not speak to each other like that. Someone would get smacked in the mouth. The lack of respect these days is profound, as is the inability to ignore ignorance and rudeness. Now to the topic at hand, though I really have no need for a diesel motor in a truck, it is nice to see Ram take the plunge. It has been talked about endlessly for some time. I am interested to see how it performs in the long haul.

Not sure who you are calling an ahole or ignorant. Hopefully not me. I try to be respectful but become a little bit like Rambo if somebody draws first blood. I don't appreciate being put being down and won't just lie there and take it, same goes in person too. Sorry if that clogged the thread a little. Hopefully I have added topic related substance as well.
Jeff