Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #231  
You guys are close, but that's not the ONE common denominator all these "war" threads have, but keep the guesses coming....

I think the ram 1500 diesel just gives a guy who runs a 1/2 ton a lot of miles the chance to save on fuel. It also, as mentioned above, gives a guy to own a diesel engine. Sometimes life has to be fun. I see a lot of guys endure a lot of put downs in this forum because they own "too much truck", or own a diesel but have no justifiable use for one.
I know a lot of those smae people own Harleys, boats and planes and have no justified reason for owning them, either, except that it's fun to own one.
Everything I own is diesel. It pretty much has to be that way because we have tanks of it here on the property and they havent made any gas powered farm tractors in a long long time. I wouldnt touch a Ford gas engine for serious truck useage. Only gas engine I'd consider is a big block IH gasser or a GM 8.1L gasser for a truck used for serious hi mileage hauling.
I wouldnt want a gas tractor anyway. Had one field fire from a hot baler bearing. Would have hated to be sitting on 100 gallons of gas instead of diesel....

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #232  
You guys are close, but that's not the ONE common denominator all these "war" threads have, but keep the guesses coming....

I'm sure its me and to be honest I can care less if some people's skin is too soft to handle the truth. Its the way I deal in my professional career as a pilot and in my side job taking care of equipment and boats for select customers. You call it arrogance but to I see it as confidence based upon my experience. Again, its my opinion. You have yours so does everyone else. I never talk behind anyones back and say what I have to say face to face. Funny thing is 9 times out of 10 when I tell someone something they don't want to hear they respect me for giving my opinion and if they walk out they come back about half the time.

One thing I do not do is hid behind a computer screen or multiple log ins like some. Duke!

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #233  
jejeosborne said:
Not sure who you are calling an ahole or ignorant. Hopefully not me. I try to be respectful but become a little bit like Rambo if somebody draws first blood. I don't appreciate being put being down and won't just lie there and take it, same goes in person too. Sorry if that clogged the thread a little. Hopefully I have added topic related substance as well.
Jeff

No, not you. I have spoken with you on threads and we have pleasantly disagreed on items. Let me use an example- dmace and dp. Both offer tons of usable info. But one will make an insulting comment and the other reacts and its off to the races. As you said above, you become like rambo if someone draws first blood. Why? Ignore them. This person does not make nor break you. Dont waste your time or thread space on it.

As for the diesel truck, it seems the engine output is on the verge of exceeding the limits of the truck. Kind of like putting a 454 in a tacoma. Almost pointless but for the mpg improvements.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #234  
I saw on another forum where a bunch of guys meet up with gas and diesel trucks and towed a heavy load up a road with a steep hill. There was not that much difference between the gas or diesel time or MPH wise.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #235  
I am with Hay Dude as lots of things I buy don't need to make sense from a numbers perspective, they just need to be fun.

That being said, there does become a point where it doesn't make sense for me. I would love to own a 3/4 RAM with the 6.7 Cummins, but it really too much of a stretch for me in cost vs. benefit considering they really aren't that great on fuel anymore. Maybe if I towed all the time or ran a plow on the front, but for me I tow sometime and that's really it. I do see the RAM 1500 making sense for me with a diesel though as I would expect it would get decent mileage and have great driveability.

The minute I hear someone say, "All Fords suck, or All GM's Suck" I just tune them out as they have somehow let emotion take over their judgement and reasoning. I can name some great vehicles that I would love to own from almost any manufacturer. (Maybe not Lada, Skoda, Proton....) I know people with Fords/GMs that have tons of miles some with crap in each stable, some with no issues in each stable.

Agruments on Gas vs. Diesel when talking, power, MPG, etc are really coming as forced induction is the game changer from a gas engine perspective when looking at power vs. MPG. There is little in the way of diesel engines today in any road going vehicle that are not turbo charged for the same reasons they have gone this way with gas engines. You need big dispacement with naturally aspiration to pump enough air to make big HP and Tq numbers. More displacement, more recipricating mass, less MPG. Forced induction changes the formula here.

The only new thing here is putting forced induction gas engines in trucks. This revolution has been going on for over a decade in the car world as more and more manfactures turned to forced induction. Again, less displacement same or greater power. The jury is out on running forced induction on a gas engine while towing as there is really nothing to go by on this yet from a longevity perspective. On the diesel side, this is well understood.

Just my opionion though.....

Cheers,

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #236  
I think the ram 1500 diesel just gives a guy who runs a 1/2 ton a lot of miles the chance to save on fuel. It also, as mentioned above, gives a guy to own a diesel engine. Sometimes life has to be fun. I see a lot of guys endure a lot of put downs in this forum because they own "too much truck", or own a diesel but have no justifiable use for one.
I know a lot of those smae people own Harleys, boats and planes and have no justified reason for owning them, either, except that it's fun to own one.
Everything I own is diesel. "

EXACTLY !!! Great point and so often forgotten. I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins - do we "need" it, nope. Could I tow my 10K worth of tractor/trailer/stuff with a 1/2 ton truck - yep. Do I want to, NOPE. I just like the 3/4 ton truck, Im also adding a bunch high end stuff to it and may throw a set of 35's on it - why - cause it is fun to me and I like hoe it looks. I don't drink, don't smoke, don't gamble, so the truck is my fun. Heck even the wife said we should take it on vacation this year. Could I take our car and get 35 mpg and be buying cheaper gas than diesel, yep but I will take the diesel, get 16 mpg and love every minute of the 8 hr drive to get there. I will cost us more but in the grand scheme of things we are fortunate to have good jobs so we are doing it for enjoyment not economics. Figure the guys that go boating spend more on fuel, and up-keep, etc on a boat than the extra I spend driving my Diesel truck 10K a year over a cheaper gasser.

Not meaning anything anyone said is wrong, just different strokes for different folks.....

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #237  
Hay Dude said:
Obviously it's Ford, every thread with Ford in it turns to a useless banter. We should just outlaw any and all talk about Ford Motor Company products.

What do I win?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #238  
Obviously it's Ford, every thread with Ford in it turns to a useless banter. We should just outlaw any and all talk about Ford Motor Company products.

What do I win?

It is people without a open mind and they think brand is perfect.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #239  
I see a lot of guys endure a lot of put downs in this forum because they own "too much truck", or own a diesel but have no justifiable use for one.
Only gas engine I'd consider is a big block IH gasser or a GM 8.1L gasser for a truck used for serious hi mileage hauling.

That's funny that you say that. I have friend that was a truck driver/equipment operator and runs in circles where everybody has a truck bigger and better than the next guy's. He told me I was the first guy he knew with an F450 that actually needed one.

I had an 8.1 in my last truck. It was a great truck/motor until I decided to fix it.

Brian

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #240  
I had an 8.1 in my last truck. It was a great truck/motor until I decided to fix it.

Brian

Did you ever do a crank sensor in it?