Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #241  
Did you ever do a crank sensor in it?

Yep and a cam sensor too. My only real complaint was that it burned two quarts of oil every 3000 from the day I bought it new.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #242  
Yep and a cam sensor too. My only real complaint was that it burned two quarts of oil every 3000 from the day I bought it new.

Those crank sensors were a pain. I did one. All BBC's burn oil.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #244  
Yep, especially when they break off and you have to dig out the remaining half.

I did one and was lucky, it came out in one piece. I know a guy who broke one off. He ended up pulling the engine to get it out.:laughing:

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #245  
You guys are close, but that's not the ONE common denominator all these "war" threads have, but keep the guesses coming....

I think the ram 1500 diesel just gives a guy who runs a 1/2 ton a lot of miles the chance to save on fuel. It also, as mentioned above, gives a guy to own a diesel engine. Sometimes life has to be fun. I see a lot of guys endure a lot of put downs in this forum because they own "too much truck", or own a diesel but have no justifiable use for one.
I know a lot of those smae people own Harleys, boats and planes and have no justified reason for owning them, either, except that it's fun to own one.
Everything I own is diesel. It pretty much has to be that way because we have tanks of it here on the property and they havent made any gas powered farm tractors in a long long time. I wouldnt touch a Ford gas engine for serious truck useage. Only gas engine I'd consider is a big block IH gasser or a GM 8.1L gasser for a truck used for serious hi mileage hauling.
I wouldnt want a gas tractor anyway. Had one field fire from a hot baler bearing. Would have hated to be sitting on 100 gallons of gas instead of diesel....

I got a 446 IH in my Loadstar plow truck. I use to drive it to the gravel pit but getting low single digit mpg really hurt the wallet.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #246  

That seems to be the case with the 8.1. They are used heavily in the marine industry. We run Delvac 15W40 and that seems to help some and the motor seems happy with it. Seems about every other 5.3 GM motor burns oil also but not nearly as bad. I have a GM 6.2 in my small boat and it only uses a 1/2 QT in 100 hours which on a boat is equal to 3500 miles.

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #247  
Those crank sensors were a pain. I did one. All BBC's burn oil.

Our 7.4's never did. Great motor for TQ but I could get more power per pound out of the 383 Strokers we ran for so many years.

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #250  
I liked how it said 16 out of 58 truckes passed final inspection, they need to get that number up 78% or to 28 trucks a hour. That is pretty low.

Everyone will cry and be bent out of shape when they shift production back to Mexico. These union workers are upset about having to work a 10 hour day. Most would rejoice and sing hallelujah if given this opportunity.