Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #31  
The 4.6 made 305hp in truck form. But go ahead and follow the flock and buy on HP alone. I look at TQ and the total package as a whole. Ford is still #1

Chris

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #32  
i'm going to sit back and eat my popcorn while the battle rages cause i don't care who is better or who did it first. anyone with half a brain knows that every brand has come up with innovations in their time, and every other brand has to copy them. in my opinion i see it as being too bold in its numbers, but the buying public loves numbers, even when (especially when) they are pointless numbers. you're seeing torque numbers in a half ton diesel that match or surpass the numbers of a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel. by the way, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton designations do seem kind of pointless now don't they? a new 1/2 ton has more capability than a 1 ton from a few decades ago.

this engine or the (small duramax) in a 1/2 ton seems like a bit of a waste to me, other than bragging rights or better zero to 60 times in your grocery getter. everyone on this forum gets all interested in making sure they have the most possible cargo or towing capacity, and here they all are trying to match horsepower numbers. do me a favor... whenever you post horsepower numbers, show the whole number - that means the part after the @. then tell me how often you haul and tow at that engine speed. i'd think the ideal 1/2 ton diesel would be designed to optimize economy. i can't see where there is any point in designing a 1/2 ton diesel engine that can perform better than a gas 3/4 ton. it just seems like a waste of engine to me. less power and more economy should be the reason to go with a 1/2 ton diesel.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #33  
Grand Cherokee price leak:
with 3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE (EXF) + 8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS (DFD) 22H (Late Availabilty) [MSRP $4,500 / INV. $ 4,005]
with 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE (ERB) + 8-SPD AUTO 845RE TRANS (DFL) 23H (Standard)
with 5.7L V8 MDS VVT ENGINE (EZH) + 8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS (DFD) 27H [MSRP $2,195 / INV. $ 1,954]
2014 Grand Cherokee - Ordering Information and Pricing - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #34  
Grand Cherokee price leak:
with 3.0L V6 TURBO DIESEL ENGINE (EXF) + 8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS (DFD) 22H (Late Availabilty) [MSRP $4,500 / INV. $ 4,005]
with 3.6L V6 VVT ENGINE (ERB) + 8-SPD AUTO 845RE TRANS (DFL) 23H (Standard)
with 5.7L V8 MDS VVT ENGINE (EZH) + 8-SPD AUTO 8HP70 TRANS (DFD) 27H [MSRP $2,195 / INV. $ 1,954]
2014 Grand Cherokee - Ordering Information and Pricing - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

So the Grand Cherokee diesel engine is a ~$2200 option?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #35  
2300 more than the Hemi, 4500 more than the V6.
With Diesel here at $4.00 vs. $3.45 for gas, the diesel would save about $600 over 20,000 miles compared to the Hemi but LOSE about $120 compared to the V-6.
Edit: I was a little off, I think it will be closer to $800 saved vs the Hemi with the V-6 in a dead heat.

Last edited:
   / Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #36  
Well, the 3L sounds about right for reasonable power and good economy. Let's compare this new diesel in hwy economy:

Let's say diesel is $4 per gallon and gas is $3.50 and the Ram will get 28 mpg unloaded and the gas truck gets 22 mpg. With that data, the diesel saves $17 per thousand miles driven over the gas truck. So assuming the trucks life is 200K and maintenance cost are equal, the cost of the diesel option should be less than $3400 to save any money at all.

Loaded economy could be better, and if you value the drivability of the diesel, I see this being a good choice for people who moderate load their half to trucks.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #37  
I bet GM wil be next... I will be lining up for one when they do!!

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #38  
Any ideas on what the tow capacity will be?

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #39  
VM Motori was founded by two entrepreneurs, Claudio Vancini and Ugo Martelli (hence the "VM") in 1947.

VM merged with Stabilimenti Meccanici Triestini in Trieste in 1971, then Finmeccanica took a majority stake in the combined company.

In 1989, Finmeccanica restructured, selling its stake in VM Motori to company managers and Midland Montague in a leveraged buyout, leaving the company with its single Cento plant.

Detroit Diesel Corporation (DDC) bought VM Motori in 1995.

In 2000 the DDC was purchased by DaimlerChrysler AG.

In 2003, Penske Corporation purchased a 51% stake in VM Motori; in 2007, Penske bought the remaining 49% from DaimlerChrysler and subsequently sold 50% of it to General Motors.[1] As of 2007, both deals were awaiting European regulatory approval and the value of the deal was not known.

In September 2008, GAZ Group announced plans to purchase a 50% stake from Penske Corp.[2] but ultimately cancelled them in February 2009.[3] January 11, 2011 Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera published news that Fiat S.p.A. is about to purchase 50% stake from Penske.[4] In February 11 Fiat Powertrain Technologies confirmed it has bought the 50 percent stake.[5]

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #40  
The 4.6 made 305hp in truck form. But go ahead and follow the flock and buy on HP alone. I look at TQ and the total package as a whole. Ford is still #1

Chris

Enough with your teenage banter!! You are sounding like a born again Christian, just because you like the ecoboost and Ford does not mean everyone else has to.

I dont care how many turbos they put on it, it will never lay down the torque like a diesel!! That is fact!!