Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #71  
I wanna play the who makes a better truck game. I was a fleet mechanic for a large landscape contractor. Of the big 3 I would pick GM any day over the others. My opinion is they are easier to physically work on and have fewer problems. The GM's always had the better brakes, engines, and transmissions. We bought a brake lathe because we we doing the brakes on our 1/2 Ford's every other oil change not to mention the lame twin I-beam front suspensions. The Dodge's were only slightly better. We had a bunch of 2003 Ford F250's, loved replacing coils and having the spark plugs blow out in the 5.4's. I can't say our Dodge's were really that bad, other than having to fill up the oil and check the fuel in the Cummins and the aforementioned 60k mile transmissions. There is a reason we ended up with primarily GM products. Right now I drive an F450 because it was the right tool for the job at the time. So even though I prefer the GM products I still have to go with what does the job. There is no brand loyalty when it is how I make my living.

I can't speak to your experiences but I certainly agree that GM's have always been the easiest to work on...I have maintained nearly every brand as a sideline repair guy for 20+ years...Dodges usually wern't too bad, but Ford did some things that made no sense beyond making them difficult to work on..IE the puny torx head that they used in their car calipers...I'd love to meet the moron that came up with that. If they were SS, that would have been fine but they rusted in place on the showroom floor...You only had one shot to get those out and even then it was 50/50. That was done to keep johnny consumer out.

My Ford V10 has the rotted exhaust manifold bolts and the spark plug worries..Thankfully its a MH...All of my weekend vehicles and daily drivers are and have been GM..The only other Ford I've owned was GM powered ('50 Ford F1 chopped and tubbed w/350/350).

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #72  
I always thougth GM's were the worst to work on. You can be doing a simple job but have to tear half the vehicle apart to do it. I think Ford makes the best gas motors for a truck.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #73  
I always thougth GM's were the worst to work on. You can be doing a simple job but have to tear half the vehicle apart to do it. I think Ford makes the best gas motors for a truck.

I respectfully disagree on both counts. I've calmed way down on this part of TBN, so I won't flame anything...I'll just say what I know, not my opinion or bias.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #74  
I can't speak to your experiences but I certainly agree that GM's have always been the easiest to work on...I have maintained nearly every brand as a sideline repair guy for 20+ years...Dodges usually wern't too bad, but Ford did some things that made no sense beyond making them difficult to work on..IE the puny torx head that they used in their car calipers...I'd love to meet the moron that came up with that. If they were SS, that would have been fine but they rusted in place on the showroom floor...You only had one shot to get those out and even then it was 50/50. That was done to keep johnny consumer out.

My Ford V10 has the rotted exhaust manifold bolts and the spark plug worries..Thankfully its a MH...All of my weekend vehicles and daily drivers are and have been GM..The only other Ford I've owned was GM powered ('50 Ford F1 chopped and tubbed w/350/350).

A lot of manufacturers use torx bolts on the calipers.

Put headers on the V10. It makes a good fix and is cheaper than manifolds.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #75  
The quality of joints that GM uses in front ends is better than either Dodge or Ford. Plus they use grease zerks.

The Ford truck engines aren't even close to GM engines in quality. Exhaust manifolds, MAF sensors, alternators, head gasket leaks, vacuum leaks, plugs blowing out I could go on and on....

The guys claiming otherwise haven't spent years in shops working on them.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #76  
94BULLITT said:
I think Ford makes the best gas motors for a truck.
Sorry, even Ford faithful know powertrains are Fords weakness.
Peacock said:
The Ford truck engines aren't even close to GM engines in quality. Exhaust manifolds, MAF sensors, alternators, head gasket leaks, vacuum leaks, plugs blowing out I could go on and on....
The guys claiming otherwise haven't spent years in shops working on them.
I agree!
I along with my company have been burned too many times by failed Ford engines. Maybe their new line of engines will work out but only time will tell.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #77  
   / Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #78  
I wanna play the who makes a better truck game. I was a fleet mechanic for a large landscape contractor. Of the big 3 I would pick GM any day over the others. My opinion is they are easier to physically work on and have fewer problems. The GM's always had the better brakes, engines, and transmissions. We bought a brake lathe because we we doing the brakes on our 1/2 Ford's every other oil change not to mention the lame twin I-beam front suspensions. The Dodge's were only slightly better. We had a bunch of 2003 Ford F250's, loved replacing coils and having the spark plugs blow out in the 5.4's. I can't say our Dodge's were really that bad, other than having to fill up the oil and check the fuel in the Cummins and the aforementioned 60k mile transmissions. There is a reason we ended up with primarily GM products. Right now I drive an F450 because it was the right tool for the job at the time. So even though I prefer the GM products I still have to go with what does the job. There is no brand loyalty when it is how I make my living.
Thats exactly right. When you have to run them and fix them like you did and I currently do, you get to know whre the weaknesses and strengths are. Ford always looked good on paper with their impressive towing statistics and their trucks are great looking, but when the rubber hit the road, I found them to be more expensive to maintain. If one were to own a Ford for light useage, like towing a boat occassionally, maybe a little handywork, it would probably be OK, but when you really work them, they blow through brakes when towing, ball joints when plowing and transmissions faster. Add to that the poor reliability of 2 of their diesel engines and the repair bills are high.
My first five years I owned my first duramax, I put almost 200,000 mile on it towing big trailers and plowing snow in winter. I read all the BS about how they're no good for ither task, but other than a set of warranty replaced injectors, it was far and away better than the previous 7.3L powered fords we had previously doing the same tasks. The fords ate brakes and ball joints like food and we replaced transmissions on them too. Then I go out against all my beliefs, buy this GM truck and everyone wants to drive it, its faster, pulls better, rides much smoother and almost never breaks down. I put nothing into that truck except fuel and oil for the first 5-6 years. Bought a second one and it's even better. Have a Ford 6L at the same time and it had major sugery on the 6L before it hit 100K. Then we bought a 6.4L and it might be ready for major engine surgery by 75K miles. Meanwhile the '07 GM is now 6 years old, over 100K miles and has had no major repairs.
I dunno, I just report what happened directly to me, not my neighbor or my "BIL" and tell it like it is.

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #79  
So much for Ford's resale value, apparently you think it's junk too offering only $500.

Now that's FUNNY !!! :laughing::laughing::laughing::thumbsup: He not only thinks it's junk. He knows it :laughing:

/ Ram 1500 first modern half ton to offer diesel #80  
Then we bought a 6.4L and it might be ready for major engine surgery by 75K miles.

So it is a bad truck because you think it MIGHT need repairs by 75k.